Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree61Likes

HPI RS4 Sport 3

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Initiate

I'm curious if anyone can compare the Sport 3 to an Associated TC4 club racer...I realize the TC4 is not a RTR; I'm talking just about the quality and performance of the chassis. I'm just not 100% happy with the HPI and am thinking about picking up the TC4 and stripping the electrics from the Flux. Thoughts?
Old 09-14-2015, 08:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

TC4 is a much better driver. I still don't have the RS4 right. Switched to the Subaru drift body. Went with set of Sweep slicks. It much better. But still doesn't drive as well as the Associated Apex.
Old 09-15-2015, 12:40 AM
Tech Rookie

Anybody know if the spec r SPR012-TM46 will fit cant seem to find a difference and cant seem to find anybody in the us with SPR012-TM46B
in stock
Old 09-15-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Rookie

Default SPEC-R 46mm

I purchased a rs4 sport 3 four months back and am not very pleased with it . It will be on eBay in the next half hour . Also craigslist on the Los Angeles postings . Looking to sell the universal shafts , let me know if you are interested.
Old 09-15-2015, 11:31 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by jacobe82
I purchased a rs4 sport 3 four months back and am not very pleased with it . It will be on eBay in the next half hour . Also craigslist on the Los Angeles postings . Looking to sell the universal shafts , let me know if you are interested.
I will buy the universals i am in orange county so could pick them up
Old 09-16-2015, 08:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tshoey
I will buy the universals i am in orange county so could pick them up
sure $35 . When could you pick them up ?
Old 09-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

sure $35 . When could you pick them up ?
I could pick them up thursday night
Old 09-16-2015, 09:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Tshoey
I could pick them up thursday night
Sounds good , I can meet you in chino off of grand ave in the bestbuy parking lot.
Old 09-16-2015, 09:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Sounds good , I can meet you in chino off of grand ave in the bestbuy parking lot.
Sounds good
I messaged you my number eaier to comunicate
Old 09-16-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Hpi Sport 3

I love my sport 3.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Some new Exotek goodies are in for the Sport 3!
Attached Thumbnails HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_1280.jpg   HPI RS4 Sport 3-dsc_1330.jpg  
Old 09-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Some new Exotek goodies are in for the Sport 3!
Wow!

This car has a lot of potential really. Specially now that it has aftermarket parts.

Yes there might be issues out of the box but they're easy to fix.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by SagadSetup
Wow!

This car has a lot of potential really. Specially now that it has aftermarket parts.

Yes there might be issues out of the box but they're easy to fix.
There are certainly some good qualities about the car, primarily the sealed drivetrain. But while having the ability to upgrade is great, you shouldn't need to do so out of the box. There are some significant issues with the car, especially the front dog bones, and I'm personally quite disappointed.

As far as easy to fix...I'll throw this out there. I cannot get the steering working well. I have added the Tamiya CVDs, adjustable toe and camber linkages, stronger servo (SF-50WP), and tried both with the stock 31mm (Flux) wheels and standard 26mm TC wheels. I've also tried removing the servo saver.

With all that done, the car will initially track straight, but when I turn even a little, the car continues to head in that direction after I return the wheel to center. It's pretty easy to see this happen even on the bench; the wheels struggle to center, so they always end up continuing to point in the direction of the prior turn.

Other than blaming a sub-optimal steering assembly/layout, I'm not sure what's wrong. And right now this is the biggest thing keeping me from being happy with the car. Any thoughts?

Completely unrelated, if anyone is curious, the 911 body I linked earlier needs 6mm offset rear wheels and 0mm offset fronts to look right.

Endaar

Last edited by Endaar; 09-17-2015 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old 09-17-2015, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Endaar
There are certainly some good qualities about the car, primarily the sealed drivetrain. But while having the ability to upgrade is great, you shouldn't need to do so out of the box. There are some significant issues with the car, especially the front dog bones, and I'm personally quite disappointed.

As far as easy to fix...I'll throw this out there. I cannot get the steering working well. I have added the Tamiya CVDs, adjustable toe and camber linkages, stronger servo (SF-50WP), and tried both with the stock 31mm (Flux) wheels and standard 26mm TC wheels. I've also tried removing the servo saver.

With all that done, the car will initially track straight, but when I turn even a little, the car continues to head in that direction after I return the wheel to center. It's pretty easy to see this happen even on the bench; the wheels struggle to center, so they always end up continuing to point in the direction of the prior turn.

Other than blaming a sub-optimal steering assembly/layout, I'm not sure what's wrong. And right now this is the biggest thing keeping me from being happy with the car. Any thoughts?

Completely unrelated, if anyone is curious, the 911 body I linked earlier needs 6mm offset rear wheels and 0mm offset fronts to look right.

Endaar
I really can't say for sure but how about checking the steering mechanism for binding.

See if everything moves freely. Lube if necessary.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Endaar

Endaar
Most people don't need to upgrade out of the box. You're an enthusiast, as evidenced by your participation on this forum. Your expectations are higher than the average RCer.

Anyway, it sounds like your steering is binding. Disconnect the steering from the servo and start feeling around for where the binding is happening. It might just need a set of ball-bearings in the steering bellcranks, like my Nitro RS4 did.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.