Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 09:08 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Hm. Interesting rear pod design
Old 05-15-2015, 12:55 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Wow... it looks like it will take all Tamiya bars. Not looking forward to the tweak without helper springs, but more grip makes up for it. I can see with a few well placed Tamiya parts you could have a Street Jam rear set up.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

I see the battery is higher now due to the floating mount by the looks but they have the damper lower which sort of rules the lower centre of gravity thing out and would rather have the battery lower than the damper.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:38 AM
Tech Initiate

a similar design was introduced by yeah racing on F103 a few years ago.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF102-010604lnxpnt69m4n4z2h4.jpg  
Old 05-17-2015, 06:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by malcnz
I see the battery is higher now due to the floating mount by the looks but they have the damper lower which sort of rules the lower centre of gravity thing out and would rather have the battery lower than the damper.
Looking at the center picture it appears the t bar could be lowered to even with the chassis. The f104 is even with the bottom of the chassis and the battery sits on the chassis. There is no interference with the t bar motion.

Raising up the t bar probably helps with grip since it should be similar to raising the hinge pins on a sedan.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
Looking at the center picture it appears the t bar could be lowered to even with the chassis. The f104 is even with the bottom of the chassis and the battery sits on the chassis. There is no interference with the t bar motion.

Raising up the t bar probably helps with grip since it should be similar to raising the hinge pins on a sedan.
It's interesting to see the foam pads for holding the battery up in this picture.
http://data9.blog.de/media/186/85591...3349dfc_o.jpeg

Certainly looks like the tbar is flush with the top face of the chassis.. maybe to make changing tbars easier? no influence on the stuff mounted on the chassis?
Old 05-18-2015, 02:41 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by TryHard
It's interesting to see the foam pads for holding the battery up in this picture.
http://data9.blog.de/media/186/85591...3349dfc_o.jpeg

Certainly looks like the tbar is flush with the top face of the chassis.. maybe to make changing tbars easier? no influence on the stuff mounted on the chassis?
I'd say what they want is similar to the kyosho sedan with the suspended battery. As you said no influence on the chassis. Then the t bar is up to get a quicker roll response.

If you want to lower the battery it looks like you could. I personally think there may be a method to the madness here. The car again will roll more with the battery higher. That actually may be a good thing vis a vis the xray car with the transverse battery. Or you can take the TCS champ from a few years ago Austin Brumblay. He added multiple ounces of lead on either side of his car cantilevered out like a transverse battery would be. He stomped everybody at the Tamiya nationals. I slapped as much lead as I had with me on my car in a similar fashion. I got a lot more stability but what surprised me was how much better the tires wore since they were gripping instead of sliding. It may be these cars need more weight transfer especially with short packs and a weight floating at 1100g or less.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robk
I'd say what they want is similar to the kyosho sedan with the suspended battery. As you said no influence on the chassis. Then the t bar is up to get a quicker roll response.

If you want to lower the battery it looks like you could. I personally think there may be a method to the madness here. The car again will roll more with the battery higher. That actually may be a good thing vis a vis the xray car with the transverse battery. Or you can take the TCS champ from a few years ago Austin Brumblay. He added multiple ounces of lead on either side of his car cantilevered out like a transverse battery would be. He stomped everybody at the Tamiya nationals. I slapped as much lead as I had with me on my car in a similar fashion. I got a lot more stability but what surprised me was how much better the tires wore since they were gripping instead of sliding. It may be these cars need more weight transfer especially with short packs and a weight floating at 1100g or less.
What you say about the weight is also, IMO, why I think the T-bar will work well. Compared to a current 12th, F1's are heavy, with big heavy tyres... so it's easier to get a t-bar to the work well at a durable and consistent thickness. Still always liked how my 104X1 and WGP worked...
Old 05-20-2015, 11:22 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Yeah, Brumblay caught onto something very early on that wasn't really given much attention.

I have the X-ray now and much prefer the transverse battery setup. I have plenty of rear bite and stability out of the corners but the car can steer harder. Trying to setup a car to steer hard or be snappy thru chicanes on an inline car reduced the stability quite a bit (not to say inline doesn't work but transverse just suits my driving style more). Had success on both carpet and asphalt with this setup.

Again, not only the X-ray but I swapped to a transverse battery setup on my Streetjam F1 too. It doesn't have the conventional link setup that would not allow it. Instantly the car felt much better to drive.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:29 AM
Tech Adept

But is the battery ever going to touch that foam? The Shorty pack will be placed behind the servo to get that mass "forward" on deceleration. leaving you with the space to place the ballast in the most opportune location. Do you guys think I am missing something?
JJ
Old 05-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Addict

I think the other advantage/ difference with a transverse battery is you may be able to run a shorter wheelbase and still be balanced. In my mind with the f103 it did handle better with a standard size battery however a shorty was faster due to weight. I could see how adding weight would help as long as you werent suffering too much on speed.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

So my question is when will this bad boy be out and will it be TCS legal for the season?
Old 05-22-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Jamie Hanson
So my question is when will this bad boy be out and will it be TCS legal for the season?
Sounds like June and its legal from what I was told
Old 05-24-2015, 03:28 AM
Tech Adept

Jamie...Rob....which side do you go with between the damper tube and the oil damper? I agree that on the face of it, the oil damper will be more consistent over a race meeting, but I still preffer the tube for the rapid changes we can make, and the better quality of synthetic oils has done a lot for consistency and duration.
Old 05-24-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

The tube and oil damper operate differently. The oil damper will pack since it is a shock on the initial movement. The tube offers pretty linear dampening until shear.

I have tried both. I have had problems getting enough dampening into the shock sometimes. That being said, sometimes its better through chicanes or the like, probably because it packs up on quick movements.

I use the tubes all the time though. The range of dampening is much larger, it's super easy to change or rebuild, and malfunctions are usually because it's terminal (broken, usually along with the rest of your car), not because the top of the shock popped off or something dumb.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.