Wiki Posts
Search

"Stock" TC

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
That's how Short Course racing got started. Everyone has heard of the Slash, right?
You know... if the Apex can do for TC racing what the Slash did for Short Course, then do it! We could see thousands of new TC drivers.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:42 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Although VTA isn't strictly an entry level class, it can be used as such. It's a lot easier to get a newbie up to speed with a 25.5 than a 17.5

You can't set a hard and fast rule for what class is what. Each track has to set that for themselves. More classes based on motor has never worked.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by wwddww34
You know... if the Apex can do for TC racing what the Slash did for Short Course, then do it! We could see thousands of new TC drivers.
You're about 2 decades too late.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DarthRacer
That's how Short Course racing got started. Everyone has heard of the Slash, right?
The slash was a point in time thing. In many ways it's to off road as the Tamiya TA-02 kit was to 4WD sedan racing. The Slash was a simple car that was affordable and defined a new class of racing...

...and TA-02 did the same thing. The TA-02 (believe it or not) is the car that started what we're talking about "fixing" today. The same forces that broke on-road we can see happening in Short Course. Fun = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing = development = $$$/speed = racing...

...a cheap chassis or a slower motor wont save us.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If you want everybody to have equal cars, race a video game.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX

Why is it that in RC some believe everyone HAS to move up to mod ?
Maybe the question should be... Why is modified turning car racing a dieing class in the U.S.?

Everyone seems to want to go fast, but modified is too fast and beyond their abilities (mine for sure).
Old 03-27-2015, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricF
Maybe the question should be... Why is modified turning car racing a dieing class in the U.S.?

Everyone seems to want to go fast, but modified is too fast and beyond their abilities (mine for sure).
I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the tracks. Our indoor tracks are quite small in comparison to outdoor on-road tracks. Indoor tracks in the US have gotten smaller while the cars got a heck of a lot faster. Not a great combination.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hairless_ape
I think a lot of it has to do with the size of the tracks. Our indoor tracks are quite small in comparison to outdoor on-road tracks. Indoor tracks in the US have gotten smaller while the cars got a heck of a lot faster. Not a great combination.
To add to that, the tracks might even be the same size, but the motor and battery combinations have definitely gotten faster. When we agreed or thought that a 17.5 was equal to a brushed 27t we blew it.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Because a large majority of touring car racing is indoors in facilities that aren't really big enough to exploit how fast mod touring cars can be secondly modern mod tc eat foam tires for lunch and overpower rubber tires.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by EricF
To add to that, the tracks might even be the same size, but the motor and battery combinations have definitely gotten faster. When we agreed or thought that a 17.5 was equal to a brushed 27t we blew it.

13.5T was specifically designed to be equal in performance to 27t brushed and it was. 8.5T was used to replace 19T. ie stock and super stock. After switching to lipo this became 17.5T and 10.5T.

10.5T became 13.5T boosted in most parts of the world and has remained the same since.

With blinky the motors performance is thermally limited with better fans we can push the motors a lot harder which accounts for most of the.performamce gains. Motors have also improved over time.

The more I think about my previous suggestion banning fans the more it makes sense.

Reduces cost increases reliabilty and drops performance a notch.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (100%+)

Banning fans won't reduce cost, it will increase it. Motors will become one or two run throw aways. But I can assure you the price won't drop. All it will end up doing is killing off the only true TC class the U.S. has left. The only people who will race it will be the ones that can afford a new motor every race day.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

I have seen some very good opinions on this thread and applaud all of them. Seems to me that the easiest and most cost effective way of slowing down the cars to what stock should be is to increase the gear ratio. I could be wrong I don't know. I am mainly looking at a low cost fix.
TC 17.5 from 3.8 to 4.8 and so on. Then define the classes from there. This is just my opinion and can easily be tweaked.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Tech Regular

Not at all.

All that will change is no cost of fans and slight drop in performance.

Added bonus you wont melt a motor if your fan dies during a run which is currently a common cause of melted motors.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

3000mah packs would slowwwwww them down.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mbykerman
I have seen some very good opinions on this thread and applaud all of them. Seems to me that the easiest and most cost effective way of slowing down the cars to what stock should be is to increase the gear ratio. I could be wrong I don't know. I am mainly looking at a low cost fix.
TC 17.5 from 3.8 to 4.8 and so on. Then define the classes from there. This is just my opinion and can easily be tweaked.
1. Won't be even close to equal unless all run same motor
2. Time consuming to tech for club racing, too many different specs across all TC brands/options

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.