Wiki Posts
Search

How Hot Is Too Hot?????

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2002, 08:13 PM
Tech Elite

Default Build a break-in pack

BuggZI;

Build a 2-3 cell pack just for break in. $10-15 maybe. Just solder some leads with small alligator clips to the pack to hook up to the motor.
Also if you cut the Com, you can use your old brushes if they are not burned. Just break the motor in for a few mins.

Steevo;

Try changing your Final Drive Ratio to a higher number. (6.80-vs-7.20) but maybe not such a big jump. You get the idea. This will lessen the load on the motor and should make little difference on top speed. Especially if your overgeared.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-04-2002 at 09:38 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:18 PM
Tech Elite

Default Arcing/motor suggestion

BuggZI;

Once you seat/break-in the brushes properly, the arcing should be at a minimum. The Core Stock is a very good motor from what I've been told. If you are using brushes with a higher silver content. They will take longer to break-in than an all copper brush. Silver brushes also make more power but wear the Com faster.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-04-2002 at 09:36 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Pops,
I think that I messed up on my FDR figure though. I just read what I wrote and it seems to be wrong. If my spur is 96 and my pinion is 24 and my Internal ratio is 2.13 then I make my FDR to be 8.52. (it must have been late when I did those first figures).
So now I assume that this would be too high???
Let me know what you think and thanks again for your help

Steevo

PS I think the last answer about the brushes and stock motor was for Buggzi.
Old 12-04-2002, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default HOT Motors

Steevo;

8.52 is probably close to what you should be running for a 10x4.
Something that I forgot to ask is if your are Racing or just playing around. The reason I ask is; if your running that motor for longer than what a 5 minute race is. You can overheat it severly. I've seen guys melt the solder off the brushhoods from overheating.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Pops,
Running the motor too long is not a problem cause my packs dump at just over 5 mins run time.
In all honesty I don't really have too many worries about the motor being too hot because as i mentioned earlier according to rollout figures I should be pretty spot on with the gearing. I just thought that I would gain some outside opinions on the subject.
My comm is not wearing at an extraordinary rate and the blue on the comm is not very severe at all. It is only a very feint blue and in small streaks. Also there does not seem to be any excessive arcing in fact there is practically no arching until almost full throttle which in my opinion does not seem excessive although I am not sure how much a motor is suppose to arc in normal circumstances.

Steevo
Old 12-04-2002, 09:34 PM
Tech Elite

Default Arcing at full throttle

Steevo;

I do notice arcing at full throttle on my Stock motors too, But if it was severe then I think the radio would be glitching. Maybe do a new post asking for mod motor help. I don't think the Com should be changing color, but maybe Mods do.

At my age it's easy to get confused.

Last edited by popsracer; 12-04-2002 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-04-2002, 09:56 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the advice Popsracer...
I will try running it in with the 2-3cell setup and see how it goes..
I think what I am seeing is a result of my bad procedures and not the motor...