Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree44Likes

Tamiya FF04

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Tech Regular

Finished mine this afternoon. Then took it for a quick spin.

Couple of notes (I ran on outdoor continuously variable condition asphalt).

The susp blocks are plastic - I swapped to XD split blocks (had them from myTB03VDS), 1XD front, 1A back.

If you want front sway bar you need the XV01 stabilizer kit, kit comes with two bars for the rear.

Motor mount, R1 fan mount (and fan) is a huge help. I actually had to run a servo wire extender to power it.

Order that super long sensor wire now I made a 200mm barely make it.

I had to cut the bumper quite a bit to make it fit under the Golf24 body

If you plan on using bullet connectors, you need the laydown/flat ones or you need to hang the battery further out from center. I like the thunderpower batteries a lot for their deans wire connection (but not for their balance port!)

I stuck 2.5mill gravity silicon oil in mine, seems fine. Some say to go more, some say to go with 100k that comes in the kit. I had plenty of steering as it was.

I also used the TA06 Aluminum Gear Diff Cover, mostly because I had one.

Nice shocks, has the new(er) one piece rod guide.

I started with Sorex32s all around, track was cooling down and grip low. Mixing compounds recommended if permitted.
Old 11-29-2014, 09:10 PM
Tech Adept

Thanks for sharing, but I couldn't see the pics due to certain restriction applied by the ISP here

Would you mind to upload the pics in other site ?

Also, I didn't expect that the TA06 Alum Gear Diff Cover would fit. Thanks for the tips!
Old 11-29-2014, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by torg
Finished mine this afternoon. Then took it for a quick spin.

Couple of notes (I ran on outdoor continuously variable condition asphalt).

The susp blocks are plastic - I swapped to XD split blocks (had them from myTB03VDS), 1XD front, 1A back.

If you want front sway bar you need the XV01 stabilizer kit, kit comes with two bars for the rear.

Motor mount, R1 fan mount (and fan) is a huge help. I actually had to run a servo wire extender to power it.

Order that super long sensor wire now I made a 200mm barely make it.

I had to cut the bumper quite a bit to make it fit under the Golf24 body

If you plan on using bullet connectors, you need the laydown/flat ones or you need to hang the battery further out from center. I like the thunderpower batteries a lot for their deans wire connection (but not for their balance port!)

I stuck 2.5mill gravity silicon oil in mine, seems fine. Some say to go more, some say to go with 100k that comes in the kit. I had plenty of steering as it was.

I also used the TA06 Aluminum Gear Diff Cover, mostly because I had one.

Nice shocks, has the new(er) one piece rod guide.

I started with Sorex32s all around, track was cooling down and grip low. Mixing compounds recommended if permitted.
Experience with ff03 says that 250k gives too much on power steering for me. If on power is a issue for you then go down on oil. If not, stay on it for maximum drive. It is also interesting that kit track width is very narrow. Hope you run it next week so we can compare looks like a sweat chassis.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:30 AM
Tech Adept

Pictures inspired from the thread Default MTS 1/10 Electric FF Pro

Has anyone think / considered to use a shorty battery, and place it like this (horizontally) at FF04 Evo ?

What do you think ? Let's discuss
Old 12-01-2014, 08:50 AM
Tech Adept

By any chance, is there anyone who also owns a XV-01? I wonder if it´d be possible to use the XV-01´s rear differential in this neat FF-04 chassis.

Cheers
Old 12-02-2014, 01:38 AM
Tech Apprentice

You'd need the rear XV01 gearbox casing to hold the diff. Nothing to hold it on to in the FF04.
I think you'd be better off just getting a TRF418, or buying a carbon plate and bolting all the XV01 parts to it.

I am hoping they release a plastic version of this car soon.
Old 12-02-2014, 04:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Butler205
You'd need the rear XV01 gearbox casing to hold the diff. Nothing to hold it on to in the FF04.
I think you'd be better off just getting a TRF418, or buying a carbon plate and bolting all the XV01 parts to it.

I am hoping they release a plastic version of this car soon.
The FF04 chassis seems perfect for a carbon XV-01. I already tried to create a custom carbon chassis, but it lacks all the ff04 top deck particularities to make it viable, light and stiff. The only question is if the XV-01s rear diff, that includes the whole Diff, casing and gears, will fit those rear holes. If it does, any other aspect, like the belt and electronics can be arranged as needed.

Thanks for answer Butler, tho I still would like to hear it from someone who also own a XV-01 to try it out.
Old 12-02-2014, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think mounting the rear gearbox to the chassis will be the easy part. The hard part would be mounting the upper deck onto the gearbox.
Will be very happy if the cf chassis fits though. The XV01 would have its EVO counterpart, next to the FF and TB series. (even if not necessarily directly released by Tamiya)
Old 12-03-2014, 12:05 AM
Tech Apprentice

Looked at this again with the manuals, and it does look more feasible than I thought. The XV01 gearbox is just 4 screws like the rear bulk head of the FF04.

The holes in the XV01 to mount the upper deck appear to be too close together though, as Smile hinted at.
Old 12-03-2014, 07:24 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Butler205
Looked at this again with the manuals, and it does look more feasible than I thought. The XV01 gearbox is just 4 screws like the rear bulk head of the FF04.

The holes in the XV01 to mount the upper deck appear to be too close together though, as Smile hinted at.
The main upper deck part can be custom made tho. The problem that I´d experienced while trying to create my own custom chassis was that I couldnt find any compatible connecting shafts, nor a viable way of using the front sway bar with it. Both problems were cleverly solved by tamiya as can be seen in the FF04´s manual, published by Kentech. The part, which is separated from the upper deck main carbon strip is the BA33 (front bulkhead), the shafts are the BC11 (center posts) and BB29 (steer posts).

The only problem is if rear bulkhead lower deck holes are not the same as the XV-01´s rear diff´s and at the same time, are just close enough that we can´t drill our owns either, without intercepting the existing ones.
Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 PM
Tech Adept

I just created an editable setup sheet (PDF Format) for Tamiya FF-04 Evo

There are 2 (alternate) download links =

http://www.docdroid.net/mg3l/setting...84394.pdf.html

http://pdfcast.org/pdf/setting-tamiya-ff04-evo-84394

Hope this might be useful
Old 12-11-2014, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

im in the midst of building my FF04, and am seeing clever designs Tamiya came up with over my old FF03R.

Im really hoping they fixed the excessive front end dip upon corner entry problem with the FF04
Old 12-15-2014, 11:00 AM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'm somewhat tempted by this car especially seeing the $285 price tag which I thought would be at least $150 than that.

How happy are you guys with the car? How much differently are they driving compared to standard 4wd TC?
Old 12-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Test driving my FF04 EVO @ TQrcracing raceway, this car is fun to drive
http://youtu.be/bvQXr9_OHaI

Last edited by fkmliu; 01-07-2015 at 04:26 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

very good battle with my new FF04 EVO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHI-Z7F4gJY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.