Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ittjv
These are great. You'll be able to narrow the rear and tune the roll center like you can't with the old mounts that only go down to 5.5mm. Don't discount how much of an effect these can have.
Tune the roll centre yes.. that you can not do.. but narrow the rear was already possible.

My concern is durability. As MikeR stated these pill inserts are a down grade to the bushing. They won’t be as durable.

Its the have and have nots.. the other guys switched.. so Tamiya listened..

Next up will be a mid motor conversion lol

Last edited by Raman; 07-28-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:25 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snopro31
with the idea of the plastic pulleys having give I assume you mean in mod? or do you feel its happening with stock (21.5) on black carpet?
How much weight did the alloy rear diff add? I have never really had any leaking issues with mine but the idea it will keep the temp down and the feel more consistently the same during a run would be a bonus.
I race 17.5, but you probably wouldn't notice this as much with 21.5/black carpet. I can't remember how much weight it added however, if you look at tom's posts he actually weighed them and compared them. It does add some weight but it was worth it considering the quality of life benefits it provided. As for keeping the heat down, that is a huge thing for racing where I race... Ripon CA.
snopro31 likes this.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by herrokero
Tried it, and its slightly better but still getting negative rebound. Honestly, I might just get TRF418 damper stays and run the regular dampers. These SSBB dampers have been such a big fuss for me, and it doesn't help that TRF parts are always scarce. If I broke a bulkhead I'd probably just jump ship to another brand since I wouldn't be able to fix my car without buying a completely new one. It's damn hard to be a Tamiya fan nowdays
I feel like I need to make a video on how to build the SSBB dampers. I have no problems with them and I can get zero rebound virtually every attempt at rebuilding.
Old 07-25-2019, 04:25 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by nubs
I feel like I need to make a video on how to build the SSBB dampers. I have no problems with them and I can get zero rebound virtually every attempt at rebuilding.
I really think those dampers are terrible, a lot off play in the piston,no wonder its a pain to get them leak free and without air. I run black Xray dampers on my trf419x because of this.
Those dampers are leak free I( maintance free,almost!) with zero rebound and no play at all in the piston. Why can't tamiya design new Dampers like those. I have now 2 sets off these SSBB,but I will sell them because and cant seem tho get them leak free and without air in it.

I love tamiya and they definitely got some great dampers,but these SSBB are just a waste,for me at least.
Old 07-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by freaky321
I really think those dampers are terrible, a lot off play in the piston,no wonder its a pain to get them leak free and without air. I run black Xray dampers on my trf419x because of this.
Those dampers are leak free I( maintance free,almost!) with zero rebound and no play at all in the piston. Why can't tamiya design new Dampers like those. I have now 2 sets off these SSBB,but I will sell them because and cant seem tho get them leak free and without air in it.

I love tamiya and they definitely got some great dampers,but these SSBB are just a waste,for me at least.
The biggest issue is the blue oring that comes with the dampers. Simply changing over to one is the traditional clear oring solves most of the leaking issues.
Qatmix likes this.
Old 07-27-2019, 08:19 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by nubs
The biggest issue is the blue oring that comes with the dampers. Simply changing over to one is the traditional clear oring solves most of the leaking issues.
But also adds a ton of friction compared to the blue oring
Old 07-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

But also adds a ton of friction compared to the blue oring
In order for the oil to not leak the o-ring has to seal against the shaft. That by itself will cause friction plain and simple. The clear o-ring is the best balance of both. The blue ones are simply too soft.
Old 07-27-2019, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Tamiya has released TRF aluminium rear uprights.
They are available in 2 and 3 degrees.

What is the sense of setting toe in via upright?

Old 07-27-2019, 02:48 PM
Tech Champion

@Tom.. I asked the same question.. and a wise friend told me that it gives you the option of keeping arms parallel for linear suspension movement.

Basically Tamiya is giving us every suspension option, so we stop whining LOL
snopro31 likes this.
Old 07-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raman
@Tom.. I asked the same question.. and a wise friend told me that it gives you the option of keeping arms parallel for linear suspension movement.

Basically Tamiya is giving us every suspension option, so we stop whining LOL
But then it alters also the wheelbase. It's not a simple either or decision how to set rear toe...
Old 07-28-2019, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

From my experience, inboard toe has different effect than outboard toe... Aside the fact that the rear arms are working differently, it makes a difference in corners. Outboard toe make the car pivote, it could be helpful on small pac-man carpet tracks
Old 07-28-2019, 01:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Airwave
From my experience, inboard toe has different effect than outboard toe... Aside the fact that the rear arms are working differently, it makes a difference in corners. Outboard toe make the car pivote, it could be helpful on small pac-man carpet tracks
It's called arm sweep and it has the effect of creating friction in the hinges as more weight shifts to the outside of the car in the turn.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:22 AM
Tech Adept

If theres one thing that could be pinned at the top of this forum, its use the clear orings lmao. I learned my lesson 😅 and I took a trip to the forum pages from 2017 and its all about people complaining about the blue ones, and being suggested the clear orings. Even the big bore dampers I got for my FF03 (comes with blue orings) and have been built very carefully with air pumps and very nice muchmore shock grease have started to leak even before a race day.

Don't get the blue orings, don't get the x orings, just listen and get the clear ones for godsake.

Another bonus tip that people might overlook, is tap the bottom of the adjuster (looks like 54489) properly. Dunno if this has been talked before, but I've accidently tapped one slightly crookedly and it made the piston shaft scrape the rod guide on one side and started leaking way more.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:33 AM
Tech Addict

If theres one thing that could be pinned at the top of this forum, its use the clear orings lmao. I learned my lesson �� and I took a trip to the forum pages from 2017 and its all about people complaining about the blue ones, and being suggested the clear orings. Even the big bore dampers I got for my FF03 (comes with blue orings) and have been built very carefully with air pumps and very nice muchmore shock grease have started to leak even before a race day.

Don't get the blue orings, don't get the x orings, just listen and get the clear ones for godsake.

Another bonus tip that people might overlook, is tap the bottom of the adjuster (looks like 54489) properly. Dunno if this has been talked before, but I've accidently tapped one slightly crookedly and it made the piston shaft scrape the rod guide on one side and started leaking way more.
I use x-rings with 0,2-0,3mm shim in all my dampers, no leaks, no air in the dampers.

To prevent scratches in piston rods, Tamiya has this nice tool:

Tamiya #42276
Old 07-29-2019, 09:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Although the clear Tamiya orings are leak free, they cause a lot of drag on the shafts, especially initial sticktion.

Personally I have switched all my Tamiya dampers to using the Yokomo blue orings YS7-HG. They maintain smoothness while allowing only minimal leakage compared to the others I've tried. They're a bit larger than the TRF blue, and are softer than the clears.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.