Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree254Likes

Tamiya TRF419

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I've just finished my 419 this week, I've typically run Yokomos of late. But owned a 417X in the past. One thing I like and notice about the Tamiya is it comes fully optioned out of the box, the Yoke you need to spend another $100 on for DCJs and turnbuckles.

My 419 has Heiro Seiko screw set in it and really I can't find much else I really need to update which is amazing.

On the suspension blocks this is something Trf have never gotten right is how many shims to use, if you use the 1mm and .5mm in the rear it binds awfully, it's always best having a lot of shims when owning tamiyas.

I don't care what anybody says it's the best looking touring car on the market
Old 04-26-2015, 03:52 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I Raced my TRF 419 for frist time on weekend.
Done my best ever lap times😃
Old 04-26-2015, 06:38 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Anybody have issues fitting a Savox 1258?
The servo body hits and binds with the steering arm.
Looks like I will need to shave the servo body
Old 04-26-2015, 06:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JS
Anybody have issues fitting a Savox 1258?
The servo body hits and binds with the steering arm.
Looks like I will need to shave the servo body
That's a big servo, touring cars these days are designed around low profile servos
Old 04-26-2015, 06:57 PM
JS
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Originally Posted by svndayNZ
That's a big servo, touring cars these days are designed around low profile servos
Gotcha. Time to shop for a low profile servo.
What are the popular choices out there?

Is it recommended to use a servo saver or a direct horn will be fine?
Old 04-26-2015, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

How much do you want to spend on a servo?

The savox 1251 is quite popular, and quite cheap ($60ish)

Futaba/KO/Sanwa all make high quality brushless ones - all north of $125

Other options under $100 and proven like the futaba 9551 and xpert 3401 also around.

Lots of options.

As for horns, if you run with boards, and you're not Volkeresque, use a servo saver. Outdoors with no wood - I run a direct horn personally.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:30 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JS
Gotcha. Time to shop for a low profile servo.
What are the popular choices out there?

Is it recommended to use a servo saver or a direct horn will be fine?
There's quite a few to choose from, I run the Futaba Brushless in mine. Savox make a good little servo as well the LP versions. Sanwa, Ko, Savox, Futaba any of those would be just fine. Make sure it's low profile.

I have the TRF alu servo horn on mine. No saver
Old 04-26-2015, 07:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

First run with my 419 today. Drives great. One thing is that my diff was leaking like crazy. Any rebuild tips?
Old 04-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hanzo3
First run with my 419 today. Drives great. One thing is that my diff was leaking like crazy. Any rebuild tips?
Ken tech has an awesome one. Just search his blog.

There's a few things it could be mostly people tighten the screws wrong, don't tight them one by one all the way down. So lightly tighten all 4 and then tighten opposing screws a little more and basically go around doing that until it's right. Tamiya diffs are really good.

Otherwise check the little rubber o ring isn't pinched
Old 04-27-2015, 01:10 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by svndayNZ
I've just finished my 419 this week, I've typically run Yokomos of late. But owned a 417X in the past. One thing I like and notice about the Tamiya is it comes fully optioned out of the box, the Yoke you need to spend another $100 on for DCJs and turnbuckles.

My 419 has Heiro Seiko screw set in it and really I can't find much else I really need to update which is amazing.

On the suspension blocks this is something Trf have never gotten right is how many shims to use, if you use the 1mm and .5mm in the rear it binds awfully, it's always best having a lot of shims when owning tamiyas.

I don't care what anybody says it's the best looking touring car on the market
Tamiya Blue always stands out The TRF419 really has struck a chord with people at out club, its quick, strong (Apart from the C hubs) and the fact ti comes with all the essentials makes it attractively priced. The other thing is that the DCJ's are also very reliable. Most guys at our club run the Tamiya ones if they can get them to fit their cars. As to the arms just use some thinner shims instead of the 0.5mm shim to ensure it moves without binding. http://www.thercracer.com/2015/02/42...nd-review.html

http://www.thercracer.com/2015/01/51...build-and.html

The black o-ring will be more resistant to leaks instead of the red one. I also use loads of Green slime, or you can use Tamiya AW grease on the O-Rings and the shims.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

And don't overfill it.

I think a lot of people getting leakage is as a result of it being too full.

You also typically need to re torque the screws as the gasket gets soaked and softer. After a run or two.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Qatmix
Tamiya Blue always stands out The TRF419 really has struck a chord with people at out club, its quick, strong (Apart from the C hubs) and the fact ti comes with all the essentials makes it attractively priced. The other thing is that the DCJ's are also very reliable. Most guys at our club run the Tamiya ones if they can get them to fit their cars. As to the arms just use some thinner shims instead of the 0.5mm shim to ensure it moves without binding. http://www.thercracer.com/2015/02/42...nd-review.html

http://www.thercracer.com/2015/01/51...build-and.html

The black o-ring will be more resistant to leaks instead of the red one. I also use loads of Green slime, or you can use Tamiya AW grease on the O-Rings and the shims.
Not sure on the black O-ring. I tried it for one run, and oil pissed out... Went straight back to the red!
Old 04-27-2015, 04:57 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TryHard
Not sure on the black O-ring. I tried it for one run, and oil pissed out... Went straight back to the red!
Cheers for the info that's interesting to know, we have started using the blacks. On the old diffs the reds were much better than the blacks but we have found the opposite.. maybe they have leaked all out before we run so we don't notice To be honest I had only a slight leak on the red o-rings so it didn't bother me, but I went over to the black one and haven't noticed any since. I have also changed the shim to a wider (Still 0.3mm) one so that might help.

BTW Ed, do you use the bushings or bearings?

Last edited by Qatmix; 04-27-2015 at 06:35 AM.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:49 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
3mm shims
Every car (well, every set of arms) seems to be ever so slightly different. So you need to play with the 3mm shims to get it right. I think I've got between 0.2-0.3 on mine generally. Pretty sure 0.25 all round actually. The stock 0.5mm are no chance and the 0.3mm options are still too tight on a new car.

I also ran 0.1 on top of the tube spacer in the chubs originally, but since I've replaced them they don't seem to need it.

If really picky, you can fit 0.05mm under the shock Pistons too. They are much better than the old ones in terms of slop though. I haven't bothered.

4mm shims
For spacing the spur. Getting in slop free and centred. Depends on your brand.

5mm shims
Driveshafts. Common is 0.1mm outside per manual and 0.3mm inside.

An extra 0.05mm on the steering posts - I've placed them on the bottom.

10mm shims
0.4mm on the cups to tighten up the spool and make sure it sits to the right to help stop the belt rubbing on the servo mount screws.

5.5mm Spacer Set
you need these to tune the car. Arms (wheelbase) and camber link heights.

Think that's it! (Other than per manual)
Thanks, size info is a lot of help when it comes to ordering.

I rate this tip Aplus

Ran mine at Camarillo. Killer!
The car was killer, driver, not killin it but not terrible either.
Fun, looong day.

Also had seepage out one side of diff but not too bad.

Note:
4 Xrays in my pit mates spaces and not a drop of diff oil leakin.
They scratched their heads and said they never thought about it, just built them. No Wizardry involved.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:57 PM
Tech Master

You are right, the diff should just be fire and forget. The two diffs I have done recently are both leak free, but they are ones that I purchased separately in the packet and are not the one that came in the kit.

So maybe the other changes I made (bushings, black O-Ring and TDX shim) are not the reason why it doesn't leak. Maybe the original kit ones had an issue with the batch?

Pulling at straws, it does seem weird that after the last lot of diffs in the 418 were leak free that these ones can leak from the out-drive after some time.

At the moment my diff is bone dry but the original one seemed to be leak free for a few weeks, and then it was just like a sweat of oil, nothing drastic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.