Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Are Tamiya 50746 clear dampers less in quality than the black ones? >

Are Tamiya 50746 clear dampers less in quality than the black ones?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Tamiya 50746 clear dampers less in quality than the black ones?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 11:31 AM
Tech Regular

Default Are Tamiya 50746 clear dampers less in quality than the black ones?

Hi,

I am considering to buy an M chassis, and I found a pro version which includes various hop ups I was considering anyway. One of those hop ups is the 50746 dampers. I have the black ones on my TT-01 racer, they work well. But I hear mixed reviews on the clear plastic version of these dampers. Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 07-30-2014, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hi.

I've had many a 'pro' or 'R' version of the M chassis (which included the clear shocks) and have never used a set, due to their reputation for fragility. Reportedly they break about the first time in a hard hit or rollover. I've heard replacing the shock ends (where they mount to the arms and chassis) with black parts help, however you're better off springing for the TRF alloy shocks if budget allows. These are the best shocks for the car in both terms of operation and durabilty, and you cant go wrong.

Good luck,

Steve
Old 07-30-2014, 12:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

The clear body mini shocks are make from a brittle plastic and break too easily.
Old 07-30-2014, 12:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by HugoW
Hi,

I am considering to buy an M chassis, and I found a pro version which includes various hop ups I was considering anyway. One of those hop ups is the 50746 dampers. I have the black ones on my TT-01 racer, they work well. But I hear mixed reviews on the clear plastic version of these dampers. Please share your experiences, good and bad.

Cheers,

Hugo
The plastic is more stiff than the std shocks, some guys have raced them and had no issues, some have smashed them on a large impact. The 50746 dampers are tougher, I've never known any to break.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

The plus to a harder material is usually less friction.

I would use them over stock dampers any day, but keep an extra set of black ones. Preferably using trf, but those are a bunch more.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:28 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I'm not exactly sure of the length of the shock bodies and shafts from your TT01 racer, but the M-Chassi shock bodies and shafts are typically shorter than that of a normal sedan.

You'll get greater consistency out of the alloy bodied M-Chassis shocks.

Originally Posted by HugoW
Hi,

Cheers,

Hugo
Old 07-31-2014, 12:48 AM
Tech Regular

clear will be stiffer which actually makes them weaker as they are more likely to shatter, adding a colour in the process actually allows the plastic to have a little more flex which means it is less likely to shatter.
Best shocks are the alloy m - trf shocks, or the equivalent from companies like 3 Racing.