Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak Dually???

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Default Novak Dually???

How is this ESC for 12th scale racing.....how would you guys compare it to a novak gtx or gt7

thanks

Mike
Old 08-29-2005, 05:55 AM
Tech Regular

its more than twice the size of a gtx.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 AM
Tech Master

also twice the resistance dont waist ur money on it get a gtx or a gts
Old 08-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Dually?

The new GTS is a flat out bargain - specs close to the GTX and a street price under $80. Unless you're into low wind motors its ideal. Should be a solid choice for 1/12 stock or 19t.

Used mine in four cell oval (19 turn spect) and picked up more than a lap in the same car that used to have a Dually in it.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

[QUOTE=slots]The new GTS is a flat out bargain[QUOTE]

That is, if you don't mind the 5.0 volt BEC. Personally, I think its a crime that Novak crippled the BEC on this model, as it appears to be a replacement for the old Dually (which does have 6.0 volt BEC). BUT, since you are running 1/12th scale, you'll be using an external battery pack through the receiver anyways, so it shouldn't be an issue. Oh, and BTW, the Dually is a very good ESC, but it is much larger than current models. Anyone who knows their stuff wouldn't dismiss it so readily, though.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Tech Fanatic

is it competative though.....will i still compete with the others that have a gtx...,or will this esc have a big effect on me???????

thanks

Mike
Old 08-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by factory racer
is it competative though.....will i still compete with the others that have a gtx...,or will this esc have a big effect on me???????

thanks

Mike
Sure, its competitive. But it may not be the best suited for what you need. Since you are looking for an ESC for your 1/12th scale, you may want to try something smaller, as room will be limited. Also, a smaller ESC will weigh less. THe Dually is considered one of Novak's racing ESCs. Basically, Novak had the GT7 and the Dually. Then, the GTX came out to replace the GT7. Now, the GTS will be coming to replace the Dually. Here's a comparison:

GT7 = 0.00058 on-resistance, 1300 discrete forward steps, 6.0 volt BEC, 640 Amps rated current, 1-11 kHz Drive Frequency, no motor limit, 0.93 ounces

GTX = 0.00034 on-resistance, 1300 discrete forward steps, 6.0 volt BEC, 700 Amps rated current, 1-23 kHz Drive Frequency, no motor limit, 0.64 ounces

Dually = 0.00070 on-resistance, 256 discrete forward steps, 6.0 volt BEC, 400 Amps rated current, 7.8 kHz or 1.0 kHz Drive Frequency (hence the name Dually), no motor limit, 2.10 ounces

GTS = 0.00040 on-resistance, ??? discrete forward steps, 5.0 volt BEC, 540 Amps rated current, 1.2 kHz Drive Frequency, 12-turn motor limit, 0.74 ounces

Frankly, I like having the low drive frequency because I drive Stock. But, if I were running a low-wind modified, I'd really want a higher frequency. The GTS doesn't do that. The Dually also has a current limiter for those low-bite situations when you want to keep wheel-spin under control.

For 1/12th scale, my first choice would be a GTX or some other high-end small-size ESC like a Tekin G-11 Pro (whenever it finally comes out), an LRP Quantum Comp 2, a Hara Twister, a KO Propo VFS-1, etc. They're all really good ESCs that are competitive. If price is an issue, check out Novak's remanufactured GT7s through their website.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

RandomFellow - this will be my 20th year of RC Racing and I have used nearly everything over time from my first Victor esc through most of the Novak, LRP and Tekin lines over those years.

To further expand my experience with the Dually - I have used two of them for several years in non-weight sensitive classes. Four cell oval is one of them, its just plain hard to get your car overweight even with a heavy ESC. I replaced one with a new GTS and ran faster but even an experienced racer knows that the ESC may not have been the sole reason with all the mystic and magical other stuff we do.

Factory Racer - If you are buying a new ESC for a 1/12 and you don't want to spend the GTX price you can't go wrong with the GTS - RandomFellow has already given the main reason - weight. The other factors I like about it are the replaceable wires and the lower on-resistance compared to the Dually. It's just plain newer technology. If you are a fairly new racer you may not be able to use all the programming features of the GTX or other high end ESC's like Quantum. Is a Dually competitive? You bet, in the hands of a good driver and mechanic, anything is competitive. Nothing will make you an instant winner, so if what you have is a Dually, spend your money on the things that make a difference like tires, bearings and practice-practice-practice!

As I am now in AARP territory, I race to have fun now realizing that although I have all the will to compete, my eyes and nerves just don't cooperate any more - but I do know RC equipment.