Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree164Likes

Tamiya TB Evo 6

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2022, 09:11 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Sir 51D3WAYS
Does anyone here have an issue with blowing diff pinions every few runs? Usually the rear. Mine blows every 3 runs thereabouts.

Running alloy lower cases front and rear.

500k front diff, ball diff rear.

10.5t motor. Foam tires.

Stock Evo 6 chassis.

Even original plastic parts should last longer than that with proper build and judicious use of the power.
With the extra 10.5 power, consider using the carbon-reinforced bevel and ring gear set (p/n 54593)

As the problem occurs seems to occur most often with the rear, take care a good look at those parts.
The rear ring gear should be flat when attached to the diff housing.
When attaching, using a diagonal pattern to snug down the 4 attachment screws may help.
If any screw does not bite or set well, it may be time to replace the diff housing.

The gear mesh can be adjusted as needed to get a connection that is not tightly binded or too loose and full of backlash.
If the mesh not set well, the parts tend to wear out quickly.
For a new car the manual calls for a 0.2 mm spacer to be added alongside one of the axle ball bearings.
In a similar manner, the bevel gear has three small shims to be added to the shaft with the ball bearings
See the Tamiya Manual download page for diagrams of the correct placement of the shims for a new car.
My car benefitted from a small spacer added between the e-clip and the bevel gear that held the bevel gear closer to the retaining pin but not too tightly.

Also, not sure if you are running indoors or outside, but with my car, when running outside, little rocks and debris would constantly get in the gear mesh.
Consider adding a simple cover made from a piece of scrap lexan to keep those nasties out.

Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by F1jet_
Even original plastic parts should last longer than that with proper build and judicious use of the power.
With the extra 10.5 power, consider using the carbon-reinforced bevel and ring gear set (p/n 54593)

As the problem occurs seems to occur most often with the rear, take care a good look at those parts.
The rear ring gear should be flat when attached to the diff housing.
When attaching, using a diagonal pattern to snug down the 4 attachment screws may help.
If any screw does not bite or set well, it may be time to replace the diff housing.

The gear mesh can be adjusted as needed to get a connection that is not tightly binded or too loose and full of backlash.
If the mesh not set well, the parts tend to wear out quickly.
For a new car the manual calls for a 0.2 mm spacer to be added alongside one of the axle ball bearings.
In a similar manner, the bevel gear has three small shims to be added to the shaft with the ball bearings
See the Tamiya Manual download page for diagrams of the correct placement of the shims for a new car.
My car benefitted from a small spacer added between the e-clip and the bevel gear that held the bevel gear closer to the retaining pin but not too tightly.

Also, not sure if you are running indoors or outside, but with my car, when running outside, little rocks and debris would constantly get in the gear mesh.
Consider adding a simple cover made from a piece of scrap lexan to keep those nasties out.
Cross pattern on everything always. Its a ball rear tho.

The bevel gear is the one that blows, the crown gets damaged as a result. I too have also put a small shim between the e-clip and bevel gear to stop it from sliding along the shaft.
I'll check the shimming again.

I use carbon reinforced gears on the front. I also used a carbon bevel gear in the rear IIRC.

Actually, the 20t bevel gears in the center blow out the most often, even the carbon ones. I have now replaced them with metal.
Old 08-16-2022, 06:04 AM
Tech Regular

What ball diff do you use? I remember TB03 ball diff having quite large play in the crown gear, do you have the same issue?
Old 08-16-2022, 07:31 PM
Tech Champion

TB04 one I think.

I always run outdoors. Concrete/asphalt surface, lots of fine grit/dust. The anodizing on my motor has been partially sandblasted lol.
JimBo1008 likes this.
Old 11-22-2022, 05:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Anyone ever turn one of these into a rally car?
Old 06-21-2023, 07:10 AM
Tech Master

Could someone tell if have any benefit to run carpet if evo6 use trf420x arms?
If Evo6 run trf420x's arms then need also use 41mm shaft?

Best regards
Old 06-21-2023, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mac853

Best regards
Only benefit is you now have turnbuckles to adjust toe instead of changing out blocks otherwise I think drivability is the same. You will still use the Evo 6 suspension shaft since it's the same 3x43mm. The drive shaft on the Evo 6 is 42mm and 420x is 43mm so I think you can use both ok. I miss my Evo 6 MS
mac853 likes this.
Old 06-22-2023, 01:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hotdognobun
Only benefit is you now have turnbuckles to adjust toe instead of changing out blocks otherwise I think drivability is the same. You will still use the Evo 6 suspension shaft since it's the same 3x43mm. The drive shaft on the Evo 6 is 42mm and 420x is 43mm so I think you can use both ok. I miss my Evo 6 MS
I think is 39mm instead 43mm, which tb05 does, thanks anyway
Old 07-26-2023, 06:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Hello, I might be looking for a EXO-SIX.2 car, anyone have one for sale? Thanks
Old 11-05-2023, 03:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mac853

Best regards
The TRF420 style suspension is quite a bit more responsive than the 418 style. When I swapped it onto my 419 it was a significant increase in corner feel over the older style.

I’ve dug out an old Evo6 MS and am going to race it locally. The TRF420 arms are going to be mounted on it at some point.
ruebiracer likes this.
Old 03-26-2024, 02:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

broke my car today :*(
think its the rear upper gearbox. Someone point me in the right direction for a new part?
Ty
D
Old 04-22-2024, 12:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well it was an east fix by replacing the upper rear gearbox housing.
broke it again racing stadium super trucks asphalt on road. Lol. Cars fast but fragile.
looking at ta05 i think front uprights and 418 knuckles or bearing carriers. What's the diffrence between the 4° and 6° front uprights? I ordered 3 sets of 4°.
Idk. I could update the whole front to 420/419?
ty for any input/point In the right direction. Parts coming. Let's see if they fit. Lol
d

Last edited by MonkeyCmonkeyDo; 04-22-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Well it was an east fix by replacing the upper rear gearbox housing.
broke it again racing stadium super trucks asphalt on road. Lol. Cars fast but fragile.
looking ta05 and ta07 i think front uprights and 418 knuckles or bearing carriers.
Idk. I could update the whole front to 420/419?
ty for any input/point In the right direction. Parts coming. Let's see if they fit. Lol
d
I've never broken the plastic cases but these are cheaper and stronger than a new kit; https://www.exotekracing.com/exo-six...way-bar-mount/
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.
Old 04-22-2024, 03:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Much stronger. Idk about cheaper cuz I think I paid $30 for 2 sprues from tamiya that came with 2 separate gear boxes together so I essentially have 3 upper spare gear box cases just in case. Lol.
I didn't know about the metal cases. I knew about the metal diff housing. Ty ty. These tamiyas can be as nice and as expensive as u want them to be. Lol.
d
Old 04-22-2024, 03:16 PM
OVA
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MonkeyCmonkeyDo
Much stronger. Idk about cheaper cuz I think I paid $30 for 2 sprues from tamiya that came with 2 separate gear boxes together so I essentially have 3 upper spare gear box cases just in case. Lol.
I didn't know about the metal cases. I knew about the metal diff housing. Ty ty. These tamiyas can be as nice and as expensive as u want them to be. Lol.
d
Updated to the early 419 or late 418 arm not 420 unless your have the 420 suspension conversion kit begin with
dont get the 6 deg C hub
I have the EVO5 .I did races at Galaxy sunday
MonkeyCmonkeyDo likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.