STOCK motor forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

STOCK motor forum

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 09:13 PM
Tech Addict

What do you guys think of Birdman stock motors?

I have heard that Travis Schreven used one when he won the US National Stock Championship a few weeks ago...dunno if its true or not.
Old 04-16-2002, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Impreza-At nationals we used Trinity handout motors so that is what Travis used. As of nats Travis was unsponserd for motors and batts, He was using standard Tri#4499 brushes in his motors. Travis won because he is a great driver.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The P2K2 isn't like the MVP. It's not even close. It’s a P2K with a few serrations removed to lighten the arm. That’s it.

When you gear any motor you have to gear for track conditions, temperature, and most importantly... the motor itself.

I have a P2K2 that is high on the torque side... When I gear outdoor open track, I go 30/72. I also have another P2K2 that’s higher on the RPM side and I gear it 29/72. My lap times remain the same. The efficiency of my motors are decent so they don’t get burned up running at full open throttle for 5 minutes….

ChristopherKee
Old 04-16-2002, 06:37 PM
Tech Addict

I am new to all of this electric business and could use some help. i have a P2k that seems a little wimpy on the power side. everything looks ok (com brushes etc.) how do I get more power.

second, how hot is too hot. Does anyone have a temperature setting for these or is too hot purely anicdotal? Where does one check for too hot? Endbell? can?

How do you know when it is time to put it out to pasture?
Old 04-16-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default motor info

I am looking for some advice on motors. I have not run electric's since 98. My only experance is with Midnight 2 pro and P2k Pro. Both ran good, HPI pro & pro2. Never did a thing to them except change the brush springs. I have bought a new car and I am looking to run stock class with the car when I finish building it. The LHS had 2 motors that a lot of the locals used. Green P3 and the new Orion core motor. They were out of the P2k & P2k2. This "core" motor has good reviews, I am told, but no one has run the motor. Should I stay with the P3 and learn the car and track or return the motor and try for another? Real ignorant here on this end. TIA
Old 04-16-2002, 07:16 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

The Orion motor should be fine.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Racin Rev

Use a good bushing lubricant, align the brush hoods and cut the comm. That should make you much happier with the motor.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:41 AM
Tech Elite

Racin Rev - in general, if you can't hold your finger on the motor can for more than a couple of seconds after the race, then it's getting too hot.

But the MVP and the Core stock seem to run hot anyway.
Old 04-17-2002, 10:42 AM
Regional Moderator

Originally posted by ChristopherKee
The P2K2 isn't like the MVP. It's not even close. It’s a P2K with a few serrations removed to lighten the arm. That’s it.

When you gear any motor you have to gear for track conditions, temperature, and most importantly... the motor itself.

I have a P2K2 that is high on the torque side... When I gear outdoor open track, I go 30/72. I also have another P2K2 that’s higher on the RPM side and I gear it 29/72. My lap times remain the same. The efficiency of my motors are decent so they don’t get burned up running at full open throttle for 5 minutes….

ChristopherKee

When you purchased the motor did it come with a little instruction flyer? It states that you shoudl start at the 7.6 range and work from there. Your at 6.02 with that 30 pinion and 6.23 with that 29. yeah it's a P2K but it's more on the GM3/MVP side when it comes to gearing. It's cool though, use whatever pinion you have, if it's working for you.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mike F
Your at 6.02 with that 30 pinion and 6.23 with that 29. yeah it's a P2K but it's more on the GM3/MVP side when it comes to gearing.
Actually it would be "6" with the 30 and "6.20" with the 29. 2.5:1 drive ration on a TC3.

I don't think you actually read my post. Gearing at 7.6 is fine, but I was making a point about EACH INDIVIDUAL MOTOR being different even if they are the same model. And how it was important to gear for track and temperature. (if it's 100 degree outside I'm not going to gear this high) And I didn't even get into rollout and how that changes performance.

Stop trying to keep everyone down with your slow gearing advice and try to have an open mind.

ChristopherKee

Last edited by ChristopherKee; 04-17-2002 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2002, 11:57 AM
Regional Moderator

Funny, that you would mentioned that ChrisKee, about my slow gearing advice when in fact it's you but Like I said, it's cool. It's a matter of preference.

I do have an open mind, in this hobby you have no choice. Track temp plays a role in batteries dumping sooner, motors getting hotter and tires sticking better, sure. I'm sure that you tested your theory at your local track and think it's sound advice maybe you should really think about calling Trinity and asking them for a consulting job for their motors since what they advertised in their little instruction flyer isnt working.
Old 04-17-2002, 07:12 PM
Tech Addict

Wink

If the motor is new or you're unfamiliar with it, you are much better off gearing low(Less teeth on the pinion) and working up.
I believe few motors burn out when undergeared...unless they're GM3's
Old 04-17-2002, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

I have 2 P2K2's that I have centered and done everything too to make them perform. I can switch endbells all day and the two motors perform the same with either endbell on. One gives a ton of torque and one a ton of RPM. I agree with Chris with it depending on how the track is layed out. When our local track cuts the straight in half I gear down on the one with a lot of RPM to make it have a little more torque. When the straight is long I am gearing my P2K2 34/93 with a X-Ray with the Torquey motor. The RPM Based Motor I gear 31/93. My Orions and Hellfires I am gearing 37-38 93 but when the straight is cut in half I am at 32-33/93. I agree that the P2K2 is nothing like the MVP. Big Jim always tells to gear 2-3 teeth higher for the MVP over that of a P2K2. Both motors have very different Power Bands. Both of you need to be looking at RollOut like Chris Said. As my Tires get smaller I have to go up a tooth to get the same rollout.

Mike Webb
Old 04-18-2002, 07:02 AM
Regional Moderator

I'm not too familiar with the X-ray but I do/did agree with Chris that other factors, such as roll out, should be taken into consideration. To be honest I have a P2K2 but I don't use it, well not in my TC, I just placed in my F-1 for _hits and giggles to see how it will perform. I have a P2K that I sent to BigJim and that's what I use in my TC and it's awesome.

ChristopherKee - different tracks call for different set ups in cars as well as motors, your correct. I apologize for coming off hard.
Old 04-18-2002, 07:20 AM
Tech Elite

Mike_F-

Stop Playing with Toy Motors and Start Playing with real motors..... Hellfires and Cores

You get the best of Both worlds with Torque and RPM

That is of Course until the new Reedy Motor comes out. With Big Jim helping in the design I bet this will be the motor to have come the winter season.

Mike Webb

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.