Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RC car action

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

im a racer, been in the hobby since im 12, now 33, my first car was a tamiy audi quatro rally, i still read rcca cover to cover!!

but... i dont subscribe cuz i can get it faster from the lhs!!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jag88
I am hard core. What I want to see is very technical articles on suspension geometry, tuning motors, chassis dynamics etc. and because I'm in the minority I realize that I won't see that in your magazine...
You have done and will continue to do plenty of articles suspension geometry/tuning and motor tuning. As for chassis dynamics--that's a whole book. What specifically would you like to see? We have covered techy stuff like roll center (what it is, what it does and how to adjust it) and we've done plenty on setting up suspensions, shocks, camber, caster, etc. If you want more, fire away the emails and let us know. Believe me; it's in our best interest to cater to the reader. If there's something you'd like to, please let us know.

You sound like the type of reader we had in mind when we started "Joel's Bench." Not every article is written for you, the hardcore racer, but we do keep you in mind. Hence, "Joel's Bench," "Racer News," "Ultimate Tests," etc.

I'm all for adding some tuning info to our "Track Tests" when it makes sense, and we do just that. But truthfully, it's more about the products' features and not how I got the car to work on my track and to suit my driving style.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think RCCA is turning it around. My favorite section would be
Joel Johnson's tips on tuning, getting ready for bigraces, and this
last issue showed tips on driving. With Joel Johnsons resume I would
think that his article's or tips has good substance plus they phrase
everything so that average drivers can understand what the end result
of all the tips are for. I'm actually gonna renew my subscription.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Tech Initiate

If you took half of the full page ads for servo arms and high priced tools out, you would have a lot less trash on your hands. I wonder if ANY of the mainstream RC mags proofread their work before it goes to press. If you can't spell it, you shouldn't be working on it or testing it.

I read all of the mags, but find that they are poorly written both in content and grammar. Any "official" response?
Old 07-29-2005, 01:21 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by MAUSTIN
I read all of the mags, but find that they are poorly written both in content and grammar. Any "official" response?
Yes, show me some examples. I copy edit the majority of Xtreme's content in a typical month. While I don't rewrite other authors' work, I do fix anything that I'd consider a grammatical infraction. Before I arrived here there were certainly some issues in this area (understaffed) but with the addition of Stephen and myself I think we have it more under control. Obviously I can't comment on other magazines.

Same goes for content.
Old 07-29-2005, 01:37 PM
Tech Master

If you took half of the full page ads for servo arms and high priced tools out, you would have a lot less trash on your hands. I wonder if ANY of the mainstream RC mags proofread their work before it goes to press. If you can't spell it, you shouldn't be working on it or testing it.

I've found typos and grammatical errors in every magazine I've ever read.

Instead of being a 1-post smart ass, how about in any given issue there's probably more than 50,000 words and if there were 10 mistakes in an issue it would be an error of 0.0002%. So lets get off the "I'm an english major" high horse. There's mistakes everywhere, part of life is that nothings perfect...and that would include you
Old 07-29-2005, 01:46 PM
Tech Addict

Derek needs a drink....
Old 07-29-2005, 01:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In all the years I've been doing this I've realized that it comes down to one thing and thats ...information.... good, in depth and accurate information.
The newbies at the track want as much as they can get but are affraid to ask. The hardcore have the info but want more...... the magazines, well, they try.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DerekB
I've found typos and grammatical errors in every magazine I've ever read.

Instead of being a 1-post smart ass, how about in any given issue there's probably more than 50,000 words and if there were 10 mistakes in an issue it would be an error of 0.0002%. So lets get off the "I'm an english major" high horse. There's mistakes everywhere, part of life is that nothings perfect...and that would include you
Hey, Some of my best friends are English majors! As well as my older sister!

But in all seriousness, you guys work very hard and as annoyed that I am that RCCA has so many ads in it, I appreciate the work you guys do and thank you for putting out what you guys put out. I look forward to making my monthly trip to Barnes and Noble and reading the latest issues of the big 3 (XRC, RCCA, and RCDriver)
Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Now I'm a 2 post smart ass!!! Why would I want to spend 5 dollars on a bunch of ads and crap when you can find everything you need here??

Next time I screw up at work, I'll just tell my boss to be happy it does'nt happen more often. The percentages are low be happy with it.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Oh No!! A typo!! Glad I'm not being paid for this.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:48 PM
R/C Tech Founder

Still waiting for examples...
Old 07-29-2005, 04:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Has anyone else noticed the confusing of the word loose for lose? I see it all the time, even on my company's corporate website. Just curious.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

futureal,

I found some examples for you. . . .

According to spell check, in MAUSTIN's first post he uses the word "mags" twice, which is grammatically incorrect.

Then his last sentence is a fragment.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:08 PM
Tech Master

Now I'm a 2 post smart ass!!! Why would I want to spend 5 dollars on a bunch of ads and crap when you can find everything you need here??

Next time I screw up at work, I'll just tell my boss to be happy it does'nt happen more often. The percentages are low be happy with it.
Another person who thinks they crap perfection. I'm sure at some point you forgot to get the fries as the timer went off...

Don't pay $5, I'll boycott the .99 cent menu too.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.