Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electric as fast as nitro?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 PM
Tech Adept

Default yep, gas.

Amen brother, indeed it was gas powered.

I also should make myself a little clearer. When I refer to the speed of a car I'm not refering to lap times, of course I do realise that the sheer on the button response of an ep car when acceleration is the question is un questionable. However, I refer to the technical speed, or top speed of a car. I.e. a gp car with a finely tuned engine is going to outpace an electric car when it comes to going hell for leather on a straight. But then I'm not in competition & am used to just thrashing a car around a car park.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

From what I've seen and heard from both sides of the fence, electric's have an edge when it comes to making you a better driver and chassis tuning technician. A lot of our local nitro guys have been crossing over into the electric mod class this year and they quickly realized that chassis dynamics and driving skill greatly outweigh motor speed if you want to be competitive.
We even allowed one to run a 24k RPM limited SS5800 brushless in the STOCK class. But he couldn't get the rear end dialed in enough to use the huge torque advantage and frequently ended up in the lower B main. I asked if I could run one as well, but the store employees just laughed and said, "No! He's a nitro driver, but you're not".
Old 07-27-2005, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

i always thought mod was th fastest...untill i saw 1.8th nitro omfg that is so fgriggin crazy man

im an electric fan 100% but these things take the cake
Old 07-27-2005, 07:51 AM
Tech Elite

Is a tethered slot car an RC car? I thought the fastest RC car was the AE 6cell pan car that had like 20 batteries and a 2turn motor.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Tech Adept

I thought I read that the fastest RC car was electric...I know that the fastest RC boat is electric..(just thought I would throw that in )
I am an electric car racer (1/10th TC Brushless) and love it but as other's have stated, what's the point. Sure, I can "juice up" my 1/10th car and get it to 70mph but that's not even raceable. All I do is tear up diffs........
1/8th scale gas is AMAZING to watch but, IMHO, not a class for a beginner.
Both have their benefits. Brushless technology and LiPo's have really changed the electric car scene (this stuff has been around for awhile in RC planes). I like electric because once I get the motor, batteries and ESC set, I can just focus on the setup of the car.
Matt
Old 07-27-2005, 08:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
Is a tethered slot car an RC car? I thought the fastest RC car was the AE 6cell pan car that had like 20 batteries and a 2turn motor.
True-- a teathered slot car is not an RC car, even if the throttle is controlled remotely.......

Also True-- Check the Guiness book of world records... fastest radio controlled scale model vehicle---- 110 or 112 mph-- RC12L3O--- driven by Cliff Lett of Associated Electronics.... he also drove the fastest electric touring car 86 mph TC3.
Old 07-27-2005, 10:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

right i meant that the fastest rc car was electric. that tethered car doesn't count. don't get me wrong, it's crazy fast, but i'm pretty sure it only has 2 wheels and u can't drive it anywhere other than the track they have for it. anyway, i didn't realize that my comment would spark such conversation. IMO, electric and nitro are both awesome. i only race electric currently, but own a few nitro cars and i love them all.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Marvin, post your race equipment setup. I think you've got the perfect setup equipment wise. You have an awesome car, but didn't blow a load of money on minor things like radios and esc's. Most of the thing people we race with buy arn't necessary to go fast or have fun.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Fanatic

Electric. Hands down. Nitro cars are cool and fast and all, but handling one, and keeping up with maintaining the motor, tuning it, it's just a hassle (been there). You spend sometimes almost an entire tank trying to tune the engine just right, and by the time you got it good, it needs to be retuned. I don't have patience, so thats why I'm selling my NTC3. And speed doesn't matter. So it's slower, it's more controllable than Nitro. I mean don't get me wrong, Nitro is cool, but too much work. Get a Novak 5800 Brushless System, and it'll go almost as fast as a nitro. And like someone said earlier, you can run electric all year round! Except in rain... All my friends are like oh I want nitro because it's so fast. And when they crash it, and break a lot of parts on it, I'm not going to give them my help because they didn't take my advice. I learned the hard way. So go for electric.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:23 AM
Tech Adept

So is electric upgradeable like the engine and gear ratios n'stuff, as in nitro. What I mean is, can you buy a more powerful motor & stronger batteries to power it n'stuff?

I really know nothing about electric cars man!
Old 07-27-2005, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by silacomalley
So is electric upgradeable like the engine and gear ratios n'stuff, as in nitro. What I mean is, can you buy a more powerful motor & stronger batteries to power it n'stuff?

I really know nothing about electric cars man!
You sure can. You can get a range of electric motors, and you can get a range of gears to work with gear ratios. Battery packs come in a vast arrangement of mAh (milliamps) rating. The highest I believe is 3800mAh. It's just so easy. You charge the battery, connect it to the car, and play. There are a lot of electric motors out on the market now. From 27T Stock Motors, to 6T (T means turn) Modified Motors, there is a large amount of motors and a lot of companies that make them.

Motor Language:
Turns - The number of times the wire has been wrapped around the armature.
Rule of Thumb - The fewer the turns, the higher the RPM. But remember; run time and motor life DECREASE as the number of turns go down.
Winds - The number of strands in the armature wire.
Rule of Thumb - Low winds offer explosive, low-end "punch"; high winds, more top speed.

Also, the lower the turns, the more times your motor will need to be serviced. IMO, 27T Motors are great if you get an electric car. They have nice response, and they don't need to be taken apart and serviced as much as modified motors do. There are 2 gears; Spur. And Pinion. A pinion gear is a gear that attaches to the shaft of the motor. The spur gear meshes with the pinion gear. When you give the car throttle, the motor will begin to spin, causing the gears to spin which make the car go. I'm sure you knew that, but hell, why not make myself clear.
Old 07-27-2005, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

ThePrfctGetaway, your teaching me well my friend. I don't know much of what your saying & appreciate you explaining this too me. I am on the verge of going from this nitro malarky over to electric, I have my eye on one at the mo. It sounds like I can have just as much, if not more fun with electric than nitro.

I would never abandon nitro though, I think it's a man & his engine relationship thing....lol.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Glad to help.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

ThePrfctGetaway is speaking from experience... You see we are neighbors and I put my brushless Yok against his NTC3, well let's just say he wasn't so impressed with his NTC3 anymore.... Granted my NTC3 would have never lost but when you spend more for the engine than you do for the rest of the car you better not....
Old 07-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by vtl1180ny
ThePrfctGetaway is speaking from experience... You see we are neighbors and I put my brushless Yok against his NTC3, well let's just say he wasn't so impressed with his NTC3 anymore.... Granted my NTC3 would have never lost but when you spend more for the engine than you do for the rest of the car you better not....
You just love to rub it in don't you???? Your NTC3 never lost.. unless you hit a rut at almost 70mph and end up flying for a good distance.. I wonder who did that?????? *cough* vtl1180ny *cough* Well, you still need to get your NTC3 running again and run that thing! That motor ought to be sweeeeet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.