Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is there really a difference? (Bodies)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Is there really a difference? (Bodies)

Hey,

After almost 2 months of driving the included SKODA body on my JRX-S, I'm looking for a new body; not because I don't like the SKODA anymore, but because it was the only body I used and it's kinda beat up.

I'm not a beginner, but I'm definitely not a pro either.
I know some people say that they can FEEL the difference btw bodies (and I'm not talking about the difference between a HUMMER body and a Stratus-I can feel that...lol, I'm talking about the ones listed below), but before I buy one, I would like to get an honest answer:

Can you really feel the difference between a Parma Alfa, Dodge Stratus 3.0C, and Mazda 6, if so...which one's the best for what I'm doing?

BTW, I'm racing STOCK, FOAMS on CARPET.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (96%+)

the parma alfa is my personal favorate.. and tha stratus 3.0 is my next favorate.. I too race on carpert
Old 07-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yes, there really is a big difference. I'm not a carpet racer but I've always heard that the Parma Alpha in the one to run for foam on carpet.

A good example was a couple weekes ago. During practice I had the car working fairly well with the Ride Honda Accord. Just a little pushey. I wanted to try the Yokomo Stratus E body. I pulled it off after two laps with that body it was so tail happy. It took the car from being on the tight side to uncontrollably loose. I put the Ride body back on and went right back out and right back to being a little tight. So yes, there is a noticable difference between bodies.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Tech Master

I race carpet only (one of the only carpet-only racers in CA) and I found in foam 19t and Mod the body to run is the Parma Alfa. A couple of my pals are telling me to try the Cadillac but I don't think it'll touch the Alfa.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

For foam the only way to go is Parma Alfa
Old 07-28-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

I would imagine carpet is less noticable between bodies than asphalt. Just due to the low traction and naturally higher speeds on asphalt.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Pro4Capece
I would imagine carpet is less noticable between bodies than asphalt. Just due to the low traction and naturally higher speeds on asphalt.
Actually its quite noticeable on carpet. The Proto-form Mazda 6' and Strat 3.0 are awesome on asphalt for the massive down force and steering they produce. On carpet these traits yield a car that is glued to the track and very inefficient/hard to drive.

The Proto-form Strat 3.0 Carpet version and Alfa 2.0 are more balanced and work well on carpet but they weigh ~10% more than the Parma body and that is all high weight that really effects the car's CG. I didn't believe this until I weighed bodies back to back for myself.

I really prefer the looks of the Proto-form bodies and that is all I will ever use on asphalt or carpet with rubber tires but on foam tires the Parma is the way to go.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:02 PM
Tech Champion

I couldn't belive the weight difference between the Ride body and the Proto bodies.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Jon Kerr
I couldn't belive the weight difference between the Ride body and the Proto bodies.
whats the weight difference may i ask?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:37 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BrainTeased
About 10g or so, at least thats what I got when I weighed my mazda6 back to back with my Ride Stratus. (and there is now difference in paint scheme, so that would only account for a small amount). The ride deffiently uses thinner lexan in some places though.

HiH
Ed
Old 07-29-2005, 06:00 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by AdrianM
Actually its quite noticeable on carpet. The Proto-form Mazda 6' and Strat 3.0 are awesome on asphalt for the massive down force and steering they produce. On carpet these traits yield a car that is glued to the track and very inefficient/hard to drive.
This is true. But if your running foams on carpet, then the rules normally allow any shore rating which gives you a wide variety of grip choice. What I've done is used the Mazda 6 in conjunction with harder compound tires that provide less grip, especially in the front. The advantages are a longer life for the tires and less chunking.

Of course if your prone to hitting things and drastically changing the body downforce, then this may not be a good idea.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:47 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by BrainTeased
About 11 grams. Same painter doing the same paint scheme so the amount of paint should be the same.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:14 AM
Tech Champion

Body Weights:

Parma Alfa: 102g Stickered RTR
Yokomo Type E: 104g Stickered RTR
Proto Alfa 2.0: 108g w/o Decals
Proto Alfa 2.0: 99g Almost see through, one color silver practice body w/o Decals
Proto Mazda 6: 112g Stickered RTR

All the same painter except the Practice Alfa and the Yok. The Yok actually has a lot of paint on it!

This is interesting as you can see what intricate paint jobs and decals can do for the weight of a body. Apples to apples though the Protoform bodies are a little heavier...10G on average.

For Foam tire Carpet this is a big deal but for Asphalt its not at all an issue. The aerodynamics of the Protoform bodies are so superior that you pretty much need a Mazda 6 or Stratus 3.0AP to be competitive at high level Carpet or Asphalt rubber tire racing.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Wow, lots of comments!

Thanks a lot!

My next carpet/foam tire body: PARMA ALFA