R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Fact or Fiction: One-Ways and the year 2003 (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/7810-fact-fiction-one-ways-year-2003-a.html)

StephenSobottka 09-08-2002 02:47 PM

Guys i vote for no one ways ne where. Real cars dont have them so why should rc be allowed to run them. And these cars are based on the 1/10 scale of real things. The diff also allows drivers who cant master the one way to drive. It just allows alot better racing all around. And yes u will get killed if u run a one way with foam.

acloco 09-08-2002 03:51 PM

One more thing to remember. As innovative as R/C people are....what did they do WITHOUT the one way? Lock the diff!!!

So, no one way, no locked diffs, no clickers.......if one goes, so does the other!

Oh....and where is the TV remote?

Alvin 09-08-2002 06:04 PM

Guys,
I'm curious as to why one-ways are more suited to rubber. Won't the additional traction be even better for one-way usage?

Oh btw, I never tried setting up the car on foams, only ran one pack on a set of loaned frewers' :rolleyes:

About why 1:1 scale cars not having one-way, will a full size one-way bearing handle the stress of 1:1 scale touring cars? Also, don't cars like (I could be mistaken - i am NOT a car nut lol) Skylines rear wheel drive for the most part and 4wd engages only at certain corners :confused:

Thanks.

~Alvin

PS: Would hate to run 4wd. Twice the maintenance if you get what I mean :lol:

Kyew 09-08-2002 07:07 PM

drivers shld be free to choose whether to use a one way or not.
let's not use 'realism' as a factor in determining whether they shld be allowed. :)

JimmyMac 09-08-2002 09:44 PM

Realism is the dumbest excuse I've seen used. We can't base realism on these cars. If so, then lets just ban electric sedans altogether and race Nitro!! Let's make all Electric Sedans Front engine!! Derrrr I Runt!!!!!!! :lol:

Sheesshhhh. As for running Foams and Oneways. I do. Works great on asphalt. Maybe you are talking about Foams on Carpet with Oneways. Not just oneways with Foams period. My laps increased by .5 a lap goin from Rubbers to Foams.

I don't know and don't care. I'm a Roar member and if there is a vote on it... I'll vote to keep oneways. If we can't... I'll just go to locked diff....... :D

Xpress 09-09-2002 01:50 AM

Down with ROAR, up with the USTC!

rcdougie 09-09-2002 02:25 AM

How about a seperate one way class and a regular class. That way everyone is happy!

Sigearhead 09-09-2002 02:27 AM

KilRuf: Yes, for the most part I am speaking of running oneways on carpet with foams. From my experience they're not great on asphalt with foams either.

Alvin: I don't know for a fact but I'm only theorizing, with rubbers what you always hear is people complaining that they don't have enough steering when running dual diffs, with a oneway you get the desired steering but it takes more finesse in driving and you can't drive as deep into the corners, you have to roll the car through corners. With foams on carpet, and mostly when you run carpet you run on a smaller track than what you normally would run outside in order to be fast you have to drive much deeper into the corners and oneways do not allow you to do that thus slowing you down.

Alvin 09-09-2002 03:12 AM

Sigearhead: mmm from my "experience" 4WD gives the best amount of steering in low speed situations like hairpins, and slow corners, tight corners etc. In high speed sweepers, corners,schicanes the i feel the front one way will give more steering.

My theory is in high speed the front diff (possibly) unloads due to the cornering force, so you lose traction on front end when it unloads -> high speed cornering sucks. But when in high speed corner, a car with a front one way will not mind the front inner wheel unloading since the torque is split between both wheels. Low speed wise, it loses out to a 4wd vehicle simply, my best guess, no diff action :)

EDIT: This is what I can feel based on running rubber tires. I have no idea how it feels on foams though.

wyd 09-09-2002 12:43 PM

Alot of people like the realism of touring. Most of the asphalt tracks I have near me run rubber tires and the excuse is they are more like real racing. I personally like foams so I just go to places that you can run foam.

One ways or not the guys that are fast will still remain to be fast. It might help clean up racing a little but it is no way going to stop people from running up your rear. The guys that do it with one ways will just do it with diffs.

Now I did talk with a guy that siad a locked front diff setup is being made by IRS for the TC3. It is suppose to make you corner faster but more forgiving than a one way.

psycho 09-09-2002 04:51 PM

Reedy decided to require diffs after all the uproar over hacking at the Carpet Nat's in Stockton this year. Some guys were blaming their hacking on the front one-ways and having "no brakes." IMO, this is why he banned one-ways at the Reedy race. The talk about outbraking was simply a marketing speech, again, IMO.

STLNLST 09-09-2002 05:02 PM

the driving wasn't any cleaner at the Reedy than the carpet nats. IMO it's a POOR excuse to use full time diffs as an example of cleaner racing. The braking at the end of the straightaway made for some exciting passes but that was it. I saw people getting punted from behind with diffs. No matter what we run there are going to be guys that can't control their cars. There will always be short cuts arond the rules. One ways were banned.......along came locked front diffs. Take away something else then there will be something simular to take it's place. This is just my opinion.

Godzilla 09-09-2002 05:31 PM

I'm confused, you guys seem to be saying that 4wd is can go deeper into corners but the one way drivers are hitting you from behind.
In my opinion, one ways should be allowed at the higher levels of racing but banned from novice classes and lower club racing, even if just to get the cost of racing down.

acloco 09-09-2002 07:28 PM

psycho...you are right.

The hacking that went on...was just that...hacking.

There were a couple of times when the "two turn rule" was used....that being....when qualifying or racing.......let the faster car by!!!! If not......you got the punt.

I was there.....and saw quite a bit of it. IMO, there should actually be a different mod champion. One of those triples was....um.....well........UUUUUGLY!!!

STLNLST 09-09-2002 07:55 PM

Originally posted by Godzilla
I'm confused, you guys seem to be saying that 4wd is can go deeper into corners but the one way drivers are hitting you from behind.
In my opinion, one ways should be allowed at the higher levels of racing but banned from novice classes and lower club racing, even if just to get the cost of racing down.

Even with a diff there are low speed corners that you must slow down for that some people don't slow down for diff or not. A diff car can go deeper into a corner on power and then hit the breaks and make the turn where a oneway car will have to let off sooner to make the same turn. If you have experience with a oneway you'll know what I'm talking about.