Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Relative cost containment and taking one of the potential complaints out if someone made a custom chassis and went out and dominated with it. Really makes it about the driving and setup ability and not who has the biggest wallet and best computer drafting program
Old 12-30-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
Here is my thought for the LMP1 class (and as I mentioned before is a separate class from the Speed Passion LMP Challenge class):

Chassis: Any commercially available 200mm direct drive chassis (F1, WGT, etc.)
ESC: Open
Motor: any commercially available 17.5 (no 17.5 stators in non-17.5 cans)
Battery: 2S
Body: 200mm LMP body (see approved list)
Tire: Open rubber or foam (must be commercially available)
Weight: 1200g
Ride Height 6mm
Drive Ratio: Open

The big thing to bear in mind is the words "commercially available". What that simply means is that if you can't either go down to your local hobby shop and by it, or purchase it from a reputable online hobby dealer, its not approved. I specify reputable just so someone doesnt make a custom chassis and then go creating an online store just so they can run it.
Originally Posted by howardcano
What is wrong with making one's own car?
Relative cost containment and taking one of the potential complaints out if someone made a custom chassis and went out and dominated with it. Really makes it about the driving and setup ability and not who has the biggest wallet and best computer drafting program
So you're saying what I have built here is illegal? Took me all of an hour and a half to finish the chassis changes. No solidworks or machine shop required. I did use a drill press to drill and countersink the holes for the front suspension. I had to move it inboard to get the front end to the correct width.

All of this except for the tires and body was already in my possession. I even had the spacer it cut down for the rear axle. It drives very well on the rubber tires and I'm actually trying to get more steering out of it. I also have a SpeedPassion LM1 car so I'm doing comparisons to see it there's any advantage, real or perceived, with either car.

My thinking is building something like this is a great way to get unused WGT cars back on the track.

The body is the RJ Speed Porsche 962. I cut the rear of the kick up out and mounted up at the top of the end plates. Makes it look more scale and less 12th scale. I'm looking into the Rival body and a few others as well.
Attached Thumbnails LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion-wgt-lmp-1.jpg   LeMans LMP1: 200mm Pan Class Discussion-wgt-lmp-2.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

In several decades of racing RC cars, I have seen quite a few homebrew chassis, my own included. Every builder was quite proud of his creation, and derived much satisfaction from creating it. Some of these chassis were very good, but none ever dominated its class.

I would much rather include these builders in the racing group than exclude them for the remote possibility that they had created a monster.

ROAR only specifies commercially-available chassis for Nationals contests; they are okay for other events. But I do remember a National contest where the rule simply was waived. (That car was a work of art; it didn't win.)

Last edited by howardcano; 12-30-2013 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

IMO, not a thing. When WGT first came out, we had a couple guys make FRP chassis' and run them made to the current specs of WGT at the time. We had a few old RC10's modified to fit the class as well.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

My thoughts exactly.
If you make your own and you break it then it is up to you to have enough spares.
If not, then your BEEEPPPP.
If this class would go world wide with those rules, you eliminate some countries as these countries have a long historie of making own cars and not the stock shop models.
I am running a modified Corally F1 NG and a prototype Pro10.
If these mods on the cars are not permitted then you again exclude people.
These rules
Chassis: Any available 200mm direct drive chassis (F1, WGT, etc.)
ESC: Open blinky mode
Motor: any available 17.5 (only factory mounted parts)
Body: 200mm LMP body (see approved list)
Tire: Open rubber or foam (must be commercially available)
Ride Height 6mm
Drive Ratio: Open
I can live with and i think more with me.

regards Roy

Old 12-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Looks great Rick!
Love the idea of slightly modified wgt's and f1cars running with LM-1's.
Obviously turnout results may vary by location.

What turn motor(s) have you tested?

First shakedown run yesterday w/17.5 2s on foams is very quick on the small dirty track here.

-Jon
Old 12-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Rick what rubber tires are you using? They look like capped tires?
Old 12-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Tech Champion

It was an idea to not turn the class into a wallet class. Let's go with open chassis including homemade if that will make everybody happy.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by burgboyz
Looks great Rick!
Love the idea of slightly modified wgt's and f1cars running with LM-1's.
Obviously turnout results may vary by location.

What turn motor(s) have you tested?

First shakedown run yesterday w/17.5 2s on foams is very quick on the small dirty track here.

-Jon
Thanks! I have only run the car a few times but all runs were with 17.5 and 2S power.

Originally Posted by nrtv20
Rick what rubber tires are you using? They look like capped tires?
Nick,

Pit Shimizu F103 rubber on stock Tamiya F103 wheels. 541 fronts and 542 rears with stock inserts. Lots of rear traction and no traction roll so far. Almost too stuck really. Going to get some 544 fronts and see if I can't get more steering.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Rick Vessell
Thanks!
Nick,

Pit Shimizu F103 rubber on stock Tamiya F103 wheels. 541 fronts and 542 rears with stock inserts. Lots of rear traction and no traction roll so far. Almost too stuck really. Going to get some 544 fronts and see if I can't get more steering.
Tires look good on there, I'm jealous you guys are racing those cool looking LM1 shells.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Tech Champion

Tweaked the LMP Challenge rules per nrtv's suggestion because the Cirtix is no longer available on the website so it looks like this now:

Speed Passion LMP Challenge (LMPC):

Chassis: Speed Passion LM1
ESC: Reventon Stock Club Race (closest available)
Motor: Speed Passion Competition V3.0 21.5R
Body: Speed Passion LM-A
Tire: Speed Passion LM Tire
Ride Height: 6mm
Drive Ratio: 72T spur, open pinion

Again, this is not meant to replace the P1 class being discussed here, but is a low cost entry level option that can be run in concert with the P1 class at tracks where the rules that Vessell and Rob are putting together are run. If a racer wants to step up to the full P1 class can keep their chassis and really just need to change their motor and ESC and maybe the tires.

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 12-30-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 05:27 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would make gearing and ESC open.

Reason, plenty of people already have a stack of pinions and it might be cheaper to buy one spur than buy new pinions. ESC, plenty of people already have an ESC I do see the side of this 'SP class' but unless it was a complete RTR kit IMO it should be open.
Old 12-31-2013, 08:46 AM
Tech Champion

Pinion is already open (as I posted the updated version last night). I guess as long as its set to blinky having an open ESC (in the sense that its any brand) would make sense as well.

(Note: Im referring to my proposed LMP Challenge class not to the LMP1 class)

Last edited by trackdesigner71; 12-31-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:14 AM
Tech Champion

The big thing Im looking for with the LMPC class is relative cost containment. I want to have a reasonable cost, entry-level option for people to still race their LM1 but aren't quite ready to step up to the open LMP1 class
Old 12-31-2013, 01:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm all for a standard set of rules, but I would also like to add flavor to the class. We've bounced around some very interesting ideas, most importantly the team driver aspect. The second most important aspect is inclusion: make, build or borrow (please don't steal) a car that fits in the technical specifications: this includes dimensions, tires, wheel mounting system, ESC, motor, battery and body. Third: Don't argue about the little things.

The little things:
Other sub classes of this class - Not gonna happen. We have F1, VTA and USGT.
Other acceptable dimensions in this class - None: That is another class, don't push for it if you want this one to survive.
Other chassis: Yes. Why? The cheapest way in is the LM-1 and body kit. The Second cheapest way in is a chassis conversion and pay full price for a body and mounted tires. The third is a ground up build, very fulfilling, but time consuming and expensive.

Am I being closed minded about the little things? Yes and no. Yes, It's about class saturation in on road. Yes, its too many classes, too few drivers for on road. No, it is not about exclusion, but inclusion and getting every dusty old 10th scale relic off the shelves and into this class.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.