Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be? >

If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you could ask Rick Wilson a question what would it be?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What's ROAR been doing at the grassroots level? It seems like everytime I look in the for sale forum, someone is selling their stuff 'cause the local track is closing.

I live in Upstate, NY and the only carpet track we have is in Rochester and that's 1.5 hours away from Syracuse. They only run in the winter. The guy at the LHS suggested I go 5 hours away in NJ if I want to race TC. He also suggested I throw 30 shore foam on my TC3 and just run it on their clay oval.

If you want to race in this area, you have to get into trucks. How about trying to promote TC racing? It's good for the hobby and good for the LHS if they can get more people to come to the store.

Right now, racing around the cul-de-sac and dabbling in drifting is getting boring and I want to get into racing like you guys! If this experiment using 30 shore nitro foam on my TC3 doesn't work, I'll probably have to shelf my equiptment until I move to a place that does have a TC class.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by John Malin
It would seem logical that Roar should be the promoter of the nationals and as such provide the staff for the events. I would like to know why Roar has decided against having a small crew that is capable putting on all the events at host locations. I know a very capable race director that has done Nationals and worlds that has already offered his services and was denied. Please explain this decision.
I've always wondered this myself. It would seem that a crew of three people, an AMB system, and tech tools would be all that would be needed to consistently run ALL nationals. A tech official, a race director, and an announcer would be the crew. This would also give you an uneven number of actual ROAR OFFICIALS to make decisions that arise. Which version of qual points? The ROAR officials can vote amongst themselves. This way all decisions can be made FINAL, by actual ROAR representatives at the time the issue arises.

This also adds a sense of professionalism that I feel the sport SORELY needs. The same group of individuals at The Fuel On-Road Nats, The Electric On-Road Nats, the Oval Nats, The Stock and Mod Off-Road Nats, etc. would be a very beneficial thing in my opinion. The thing that makes Non-Sanctioned races like the Snowbirds, The Cactus Classic, CLEVELAND, and others so successful is their flawless execution time after time. I attribute this to the experience and skill of the people who run these races. With a few exceptions, there aren't a lot clubs or tracks that can throw a party like that successfully.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:36 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh69162
Good. We can weed out all the pansies. I don't think it would be as bad as you make it out to be. Just because there are bad wrecks on dry tracks, too. I think people just have to accept the fact that your not going to finish every race. And they also need to realize that your race finish percentage will decline in rain.
-Josh
Too many people in this hobby are worried about "consistency".

Look at all the off-road tracks with those WEAK jumps.

All the pros would be crying if races were held in the rain. But they know it can be held in the rain in Europe/UK.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

It would seem logical that Roar should be the promoter of the nationals and as such provide the staff for the events. I would like to know why Roar has decided against having a small crew that is capable putting on all the events at host locations. I kow a very capable race director that has done Nationals and worlds that has already offered his services and was denied. Please explain this decision.
Because they can't afford it.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

I have a question for Rick, how do you put up with all these whiney crybabies?
Old 07-12-2005, 03:38 PM
Tech Legend

Whiney crybaby = Roar`s Ex-con impression of its members

Big problem , when will they start to change ?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 AM
Tech Lord

Bigger problem, when are the racers going to change?
Old 07-13-2005, 05:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Question for Roar

Please define controlled practice for national events. Frequency availability no longer limits the number of drivers possible. Run practice the same as qualifying, in rounds. This will help sort out all scoring and transponder problem in practice, not on the first day of qualifying.
When the carpet nats were in Ct, ESPN Headquarters was right up the road. When Roar was asked about contacting them, they declined, told the shop owner they did not want them involved. I do not understand this line of thinking. Can Roar explain why they do not want to promote our sport?
Jim Damerell
Old 07-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Seems like a lot of the questions have to do with promotion of the hobby/sport. There's no centralized organization that is trying to take R/C to the next level in the US, it's up to individual manufacturers (HPI, TL, Hardcore, etc.), local shops and clubs (contacting local papers and TV stations, etc.) and magazines (RC Driver at Indy, etc.) to do stuff like this. IIRC, I don't think the original mission of ROAR was to promote the sport, it was to formalize rules and (help?) organize national events, so maybe they should concentrate on the rules and making things consistent there, and maybe some other group can help to get R/C more mainstream. Industries around the world have some sort of lobbying/PR group to get publicity, provide 'spin' and other things...just a thought.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:39 AM
Tech Fanatic

ROAR is pretty much there to provide a set of consistant rules for ROAR sanctioned races across the country, and to organize and qualifiy drivers for the Ifmar Worlds.

Most of the questions posted so far have already been answered by ROAR, or don't pertain to ROAR.

For examples:

Q: why don't we race in the rain?

A: It is the host track's race director which would stop a race due to rain (useally at the complaints of racers), I don't think there is any rule about racing in the rain. So that question should go tothe race director, not ROAR

Q: why does ROAR keep lame duck directors and committee members ?

A: Because lame ROAR members in that region keep electing them.

Q: What's ROAR been doing at the grassroots level? It seems like everytime I look in the for sale forum, someone is selling their stuff 'cause the local track is closing.

A: ROAR provides a set of rules for grassroots racing. Besides how is the local track closing ROAR's fault? Was the track built in a good area, was the business run well? Have you tried opening up your own track? This question should be asked of local track owners, not ROAR.

Q: How are you going to fix the electron process so that more that 5% of the membership votes are counted?

A: Well, since most ROAR members simply don't take the time to vote, what would you suggest? ROAR security officers storming houses forcing people to vote at gunpoint? ROAR has been using the same method for over 20 years, the ballot and the US postal system, but unfortunately our fellow racers are either too dumb or too lazy, or are just not intrested in voting. Try asking your fellow ROAR members why they didn't vote. ROAR has already stated that they don't know why people aren't voting. Intrestingly enough, those same people (that don't vote) are too dumb, too lazy, or are just not intrested in letting ROAR know why they didn't vote.

I'm pretty disappointed in most of the questions posted here (except the gremlins one, i've always wondered that one myself).

Mark Westerfield
Old 07-13-2005, 06:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

I only joined ROAR for a couple of years, when I ran at a couple of Nationals races. I didn't bother voting because I just wanted to race at the events. But I'm not going around saying ROAR is full of losers, etc., like some racers do. One way to get more racers to join ROAR (and possibly to care) is to require ROAR membership to race and practice.

In the UK where I live now you MUST be a member of the BRCA (ROAR equivalent) to join an RC club, race, practice, etc. In order to run on most circuits (outdoor permanent track) you have to join the club, that allows you to practice any time you want. The club or social hall (where indoor weekly races take place) then doesn't have to worry about insurance. Tracks aren't owned by a single entity (business or otherwise) and are usually built on land leased from the local town council, and assuring the council that insurance problems won't be a worry must be a prime reason the council allows private clubs to build tracks where 3 lb cars can go zipping around at 60 mph.

Anyway...I got off on a bit of a tangent but my point is that tracks and clubs aren't disappearing like they are in the States. Some of these clubs have been around for a couple of decades, so they must be doing something right. I understand the "way things work" in Britain is quite different to how they work in the US...but many of the same problems exist (property values, insurance, etc.) and maybe some of the solutions would be the same as well.
Old 07-13-2005, 07:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It would seem logical that Roar should be the promoter of the nationals and as such provide the staff for the events. I would like to know why Roar has decided against having a small crew that is capable putting on all the events at host locations. I kow a very capable race director that has done Nationals and worlds that has already offered his services and was denied. Please explain this decision.
Agreed!!! THis posed as a question to Rick i wold love to hear an answer to...that and my question too
Old 07-13-2005, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default How'd it go?

Without giving out all the answers, overall how did the interview go? I know I'll read the article like many others, just wondering overall your impression of how it went.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Scrubb
ROAR is pretty much there to provide a set of consistant rules for ROAR sanctioned races across the country, and to organize and qualifiy drivers for the Ifmar Worlds.

Most of the questions posted so far have already been answered by ROAR, or don't pertain to ROAR.

For examples:

Q: why don't we race in the rain?

A: It is the host track's race director which would stop a race due to rain (useally at the complaints of racers), I don't think there is any rule about racing in the rain. So that question should go tothe race director, not ROAR

Q: why does ROAR keep lame duck directors and committee members ?

A: Because lame ROAR members in that region keep electing them.

Q: What's ROAR been doing at the grassroots level? It seems like everytime I look in the for sale forum, someone is selling their stuff 'cause the local track is closing.

A: ROAR provides a set of rules for grassroots racing. Besides how is the local track closing ROAR's fault? Was the track built in a good area, was the business run well? Have you tried opening up your own track? This question should be asked of local track owners, not ROAR.

Q: How are you going to fix the electron process so that more that 5% of the membership votes are counted?

A: Well, since most ROAR members simply don't take the time to vote, what would you suggest? ROAR security officers storming houses forcing people to vote at gunpoint? ROAR has been using the same method for over 20 years, the ballot and the US postal system, but unfortunately our fellow racers are either too dumb or too lazy, or are just not intrested in voting. Try asking your fellow ROAR members why they didn't vote. ROAR has already stated that they don't know why people aren't voting. Intrestingly enough, those same people (that don't vote) are too dumb, too lazy, or are just not intrested in letting ROAR know why they didn't vote.

I'm pretty disappointed in most of the questions posted here (except the gremlins one, i've always wondered that one myself).

Mark Westerfield
WRONG Mark... Most of the ballots seem to arrive AFTER the election cut-off date. This isone of the big reason I won't join ROAR, I hate fixed elections.
OK, how about what can be done to FIX this problem?
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Scrubb - I might add about voting. I've been the region director here in florida for many years . Back in the early 90's the most votes ever in our region for director was about 132.Since I've been the director I gone to races and had top shove a ballot in front on racers and make them fill it out. Then folded it up and I even mailed it for them. The most I can get is about maybe 40. If you ever noticed how many votes in my region it's usually the votes I can get during my one race that's close to the election. The racers just want to race and then complain. Even if elections were on the computer I really doubt it would be much different- why because the racers have better things to do -just ask them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.