Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Any other tracks still running mod foam tire TC? >

Any other tracks still running mod foam tire TC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any other tracks still running mod foam tire TC?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2015, 11:17 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Stealth_RT
I think foam tire TC might be more popular if there was a spec tire like WGT. Biggest thing that killed off foam tires was pink compound one run tires. Unless you were getting your tires for free from a sponsorship, no one could afford to run them. With modern TC chassis optimized to run lower grip rubber tires, a harder spec foam tire like plaid and purples would probably work good, and you could get a month of running out of one set, like back in the Golden Age of TC when the TC3 was the hot chassis.
I don't true down my tires, nor do I find the need to. They wear evenly and truing would just reduce their life. I've had my current set for a year now and they will probably last another year! Thats racing about twice a month. They haven't chunked at all either. Plus foam tires are like $8 for a box of two. Best price of any tires across any class! You can have 2-3 full sets of foams for the price of 1 set of pre-mount rubber. Yes, there are different shore ratings, but they will all last quite some time. Not really any one-run tires on the market. I'm surprised more people don't run foams based off the cost savings.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Rookie

But how competitve can you be running such hard tires and not truing them? When you have lots of competition you have to use a softer compound and true them to a height that maximizes performance. Therefore your situation generally isn't the average one....
Old 03-12-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mschumi101
I don't true down my tires, nor do I find the need to. They wear evenly and truing would just reduce their life. I've had my current set for a year now and they will probably last another year! Thats racing about twice a month. They haven't chunked at all either. Plus foam tires are like $8 for a box of two. Best price of any tires across any class! You can have 2-3 full sets of foams for the price of 1 set of pre-mount rubber. Yes, there are different shore ratings, but they will all last quite some time. Not really any one-run tires on the market. I'm surprised more people don't run foams based off the cost savings.
Originally Posted by DMALMAD
But how competitve can you be running such hard tires and not truing them? When you have lots of competition you have to use a softer compound and true them to a height that maximizes performance. Therefore your situation generally isn't the average one....
I agree more with the second post... Foam was FAR more expensive than rubber when you wanted to compete with the top drivers. You needed multiple sets per race day (that were priced more aggressively back then, BTW) to even have a shot at being competitive. Not truing the tires usually results in the tire chunking at worst, and being far slower than your competitors that trued their tires to race diameter in the best-case scenario.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
I agree more with the second post... Foam was FAR more expensive than rubber when you wanted to compete with the top drivers. You needed multiple sets per race day (that were priced more aggressively back then, BTW) to even have a shot at being competitive. Not truing the tires usually results in the tire chunking at worst, and being far slower than your competitors that trued their tires to race diameter in the best-case scenario.
It is expensive when you race in a tire war class. My concern with foam is the chunking . I think a spec foam tire might help. At the op's track foam died because few racers could wheel the awesome lap times of mod foam. The most popular classes are vta 25.5 and silver can.

Last edited by carpetburner; 09-21-2015 at 11:43 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:43 AM
Tech Champion

We still race 13.5 blinky and 17.5 turbo on foams, but we are in the UK.

We banned additive too, improves tyre life and made people work on getting the setup right.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3team
We still race 13.5 blinky and 17.5 turbo on foams, but we are in the UK.

We banned additive too, improves tyre life and made people work on getting the setup right.
Nice. I am addicted to additive and wish I didn't have to use it. Do you run a softer shore foam in the UK winter? I run 32 shore sauced rears and 50 shore fronts on my 1/12 scale .Here in Idaho the rubber sorex 24s on my mi1 lose sidebite hook on a winter floor even if the heat is set at 65. I am thinking the foundation may not heat up even though the air temp is good?.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:13 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by carpetburner
Nice. I am addicted to additive and wish I didn't have to use it. Do you run a softer shore foam in the UK winter? I run 32 shore sauced rears and 50 shore fronts on my 1/12 scale .Here in Idaho the rubber sorex 24s on my mi1 lose sidebite hook on a winter floor even if the heat is set at 65. I am thinking the foundation may not heat up even though the air temp is good?.
We were using 45/42 before the additive ban.

Now I think the fastest guys are using 37/35

30mm rear tyre