R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TOP RACING Sabre Mini 4WD (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/771960-top-racing-sabre-mini-4wd.html)

bigb11 11-27-2013 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12764511)
It really doesn't need anything out of the box unlike all the other mini 4WD cars out there. Maybe a tiny spur and a giant pinion if you're running 21.5 or 17.5 due to the ridiculously high internal ratio. (2:1)

I too picked up a used Genetic but then decided to not build it up since i would sink another $150 into it after it was all said and done.

There are guys at my track who have been running it box stock and have been doing fantastic with it. Some of the aussie guys have broken the stock steering arm on the center post but thats about it. The hardware is all metric and seems of much higher quality that the ones that came on the original Photon, which stripped easily.

Dan, what are you using for diff oils, motor (17.5, 21.5), spur that comes with kit is 84. I thought about starting at 100 spur 25-30 pinion for 17.5.

Dan 11-27-2013 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bigb11 (Post 12764912)
Dan, what are you using for diff oils, motor (17.5, 21.5), spur that comes with kit is 84. I thought about starting at 100 spur 25-30 pinion for 17.5.

The guys doing well at our track are running the kit setup of 500K in front and 2K in the rear.

I have fitted mines with a front spool from the Photon to experiment. Minor mod to the spool is grind down the 4 ridges on the sides so the bearings can sit inside more, so it fits between the sabre mini bulkheads properly.

If you are running 55mm diameter tires, you would seriously undergeared with 100 spur and 25-30 pinion.

For 21.5, I'm running a 80T 64p spur gear with a 59T pinion. For 17.5, I'd drop it down 4 or 5 teeth for the pinion.

sipaboy 11-29-2013 01:05 PM

I just got one from my LHS Norcal hobbies. Priced at $275. I know a local guy who got his in HK for around $290. Looking forward on the build.

sipaboy 12-01-2013 12:29 PM

Stock setup is 500k in the front diff. Anyone else use some other stuff to thicken or lock the front. Local guy at the lhs said use silicone ear plugs. Cut them up in small pieces the fill up the diff and add some diff oil. I just finished building the Sabre and will run it first with the recommended setup.

Aitutaki 12-25-2013 11:56 PM

hi guys,

i've got this wonderful kit from santa :lol:
i've never had a T.O.P. kit before. what do you recommend which spare parts i should buy before starting the first race? e.g. C-Hubs , ....
thanks for your suggestions.
it will be used for 17,5t blinky races.
at the moment i already ordered the aluminum bell crank :nod:

and , did anybody try to use "normal" Touring car tires on it, e.g. ride 26007 a.s.o.?

thanks once again :)

Jonnydb 12-28-2013 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by sipaboy (Post 12773290)
Stock setup is 500k in the front diff. Anyone else use some other stuff to thicken or lock the front. Local guy at the lhs said use silicone ear plugs. Cut them up in small pieces the fill up the diff and add some diff oil. I just finished building the Sabre and will run it first with the recommended setup.

i tested the car today and you can try 1million i tried and i liked!

Jonnydb 12-28-2013 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Aitutaki (Post 12844007)
hi guys,

i've got this wonderful kit from santa :lol:
i've never had a T.O.P. kit before. what do you recommend which spare parts i should buy before starting the first race? e.g. C-Hubs , ....
thanks for your suggestions.
it will be used for 17,5t blinky races.
at the moment i already ordered the aluminum bell crank :nod:

and , did anybody try to use "normal" Touring car tires on it, e.g. ride 26007 a.s.o.?

thanks once again :)

i should have (like others) C-Hubs, Front and Rear Suspension, Steering block, Rear hub the the other parts dependece how you drive:lol:

i used the solaris tires for mini and works great!:nod:

Aitutaki 12-30-2013 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Jonnydb (Post 12850863)
i should have (like others) C-Hubs, Front and Rear Suspension, Steering block, Rear hub the the other parts dependece how you drive:lol:

i used the solaris tires for mini and works great!:nod:

already ordered these things.

now i am struggling to get touring car tires fit properly on this car. why? i want to start against the 418s, bd7s, sakuras a.s.o in our club races with this cool saber 4wd *gg*

Aitutaki 12-30-2013 12:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)
in addition i ordered stronger bellcranks: (original from TOP and one from king headz)

Dan 12-30-2013 02:14 PM

I've been pretty rough on my car (traction rolling hard too). I've broken two front C-hubs so far and bent a CVD dogbone. The car is developing slop a little faster than I'd like too. Thinking of replacing the stock plastic ball connectors and ball ends with something else.

When I'm not having problems with traction rolling or any other weird issues, it handles like a dream.

Dan 12-30-2013 02:14 PM

I've been pretty rough on my car (traction rolling hard too). I've broken two front C-hubs so far and bent a CVD dogbone. The car is developing slop a little faster than I'd like too. Thinking of replacing the stock plastic ball connectors and ball ends with something else.

When I'm not having problems with traction rolling or any other weird issues, it handles like a dream.

meddman 01-15-2014 07:57 PM

My only complaint is finding a freaking body. Jeez what a pain. So far only bodies I've found are all in Asia. Other than that car is fantastic. Looks awesome.

Hi Dan!

billdelong 01-15-2014 08:56 PM

pretty good selection of 1/12 bodies in stock here in the US:

http://abchobbyusa.com/110miniscalebodyshells.aspx

Dan 01-15-2014 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by meddman (Post 12910574)
My only complaint is finding a freaking body. Jeez what a pain. So far only bodies I've found are all in Asia. Other than that car is fantastic. Looks awesome.

Hi Dan!

Yo Steve! Have you tried TQRC? They have a good selection of mini bodies and ship from socal. The Sabre can run in 210mm and 225mm wheelbase configuration.

meddman 01-16-2014 06:47 AM

Yeah I've tried them. They are sold out of every thing except mini van looking bodies and bmw which is 225mm. I'll order that one. Wasn't sure if it would fit .