Wiki Posts
Search

What is the Best RC Magazine

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2005, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mr. Shookie
R/C Car.....For racers by racers...Editor is Frank Masi who also races RC cars and knows his stuff and his staff of writers and testers are long time RC'rs that know what is what. Plus they are pretty good racers as well so they know they are talking about...
Driver is probably another must have mag....Great articles and reveiws.
Both don't have as many ads and they don't need half naked girls to sell there mags either.
Just my point of view,
-Shookie <><
I would like to get XRC but to tell you the truth all the half naked women turn me off of the mag.
Don't get me wrong, I like naked women as much as the next guy, but as my son gets older and we enjoy the hobby together, it is just not appropriate for him.
Sends the wrong message about the hobby to younger kids.
I may sound like a prude, but thats why XRC doesn't get my money.
And besides, hes my son and I have to watch out for his best interest.
I mean lets face it, young kids are not reading the articles, for them its all about the pictures.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:38 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by snopro31
I guess i must be different i just buy them all. XRC doesnt get sold in many book stores or anything in My area of canada so its hard to get ahold of not one place with in 200miles of me has it.
We at one point should have been in your 7/11 and have been in Canadian Walmart for over 6 months.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scoobydo
I would like to get XRC but to tell you the truth all the half naked women turn me off of the mag.
Don't get me wrong, I like naked women as much as the next guy, but as my son gets older and we enjoy the hobby together, it is just not appropriate for him.
Sends the wrong message about the hobby to younger kids.
I may sound like a prude, but thats why XRC doesn't get my money.
And besides, hes my son and I have to watch out for his best interest.
I mean lets face it, young kids are not reading the articles, for them its all about the pictures.
As a parent that's what you're supposed to do. I can't argue with you. But are 4-5 pictures of a model really that bad? I see more girls in swimsuits at the beach, on TV and other stuff. Personally, I love children's cartoons, but they are laced with more sexual content than our magazine.

If you really really wanted to, and I've heard this before, you can tear out the "Professor" and all the devil pictures are gone <--that was humor

I don't know what message we are really sending to kids. What is the message? That girls don't like what guys play with? What about all the sports we watch with them being arrested for drugs, gambling, sex with minors, brawls with the stands. In the big picture I think saying that 5 pictures of girls is the wrong message confuses me.

Our hobby isn't all about or for kids. Proven that our demograhic is 18-36 year old males. Why people don't understand that there are magazines for the kids and there are magazines for the adults or mature crowd is confusing. I don't know if I'd read Car and Driver if it was written for 7 year olds.

Buy each magazine and read them. If you like it, continue. If you don't there are other choices.

And like EddieO said...I'm pretty big I can beat all of you up.
Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roger
Did you know that RC World ONLY has a staff of 3 or 4 people ??? Its amazing and true how they can produce a high quality japanese r/c magazine with tons of articles, races, product reviews, and advertisements with such a limited staff.
There is a couple more.. 4.....is a little slim... try 9 people
-Dave
Old 07-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Double Post
Old 07-08-2005, 09:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DerekB
As a parent that's what you're supposed to do. I can't argue with you. But are 4-5 pictures of a model really that bad? I see more girls in swimsuits at the beach, on TV and other stuff. Personally, I love children's cartoons, but they are laced with more sexual content than our magazine.

If you really really wanted to, and I've heard this before, you can tear out the "Professor" and all the devil pictures are gone <--that was humor

I don't know what message we are really sending to kids. What is the message? That girls don't like what guys play with? What about all the sports we watch with them being arrested for drugs, gambling, sex with minors, brawls with the stands. In the big picture I think saying that 5 pictures of girls is the wrong message confuses me.

Our hobby isn't all about or for kids. Proven that our demograhic is 18-36 year old males. Why people don't understand that there are magazines for the kids and there are magazines for the adults or mature crowd is confusing. I don't know if I'd read Car and Driver if it was written for 7 year olds.

Buy each magazine and read them. If you like it, continue. If you don't there are other choices.

And like EddieO said...I'm pretty big I can beat all of you up.
I do agree that it is up to me. Which is why I said I don't buy it.
However I don't buy your "Look at the rest of the world, were tame in comparison" Argument.
How do you corrulate sex, drugs and off-field debauchery to an RC magazine?
I know what your trying to say, I just feel it was out of context.
Besides that, as far as I knew, this site is run by people very close to if not working for XRC magazine (I could be wrong). A while back a message was sent out about racy context in avatars and signatures. I beleive the words used by Futureal were that "This is a family website".
If that is the case why allow it in the magazine?
If your demographic is really aimed towards 18-36yo, why not place a parental advisory sticker and go all out with the girl pics?
My guess is that sales would go down. ( or up if your demographic is right on )
I love your mag, but like I said, those were my concerns.
I'm not sheltering my son in some cacoon or something, but rather I would prefer it out of family hobbies. And like you said, there are other choices which I am forced to pursue even if I do prefer XRC.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by scoobydo
I do agree that it is up to me. Which is why I said I don't buy it.
However I don't buy your "Look at the rest of the world, were tame in comparison" Argument.
How do you corrulate sex, drugs and off-field debauchery to an RC magazine?
I know what your trying to say, I just feel it was out of context.
Besides that, as far as I knew, this site is run by people very close to if not working for XRC magazine (I could be wrong). A while back a message was sent out about racy context in avatars and signatures. I beleive the words used by Futureal were that "This is a family website".
If that is the case why allow it in the magazine?
If your demographic is really aimed towards 18-36yo, why not place a parental advisory sticker and go all out with the girl pics?
My guess is that sales would go down. ( or up if your demographic is right on )
I love your mag, but like I said, those were my concerns.
I'm not sheltering my son in some cacoon or something, but rather I would prefer it out of family hobbies. And like you said, there are other choices which I am forced to pursue even if I do prefer XRC.
Shane works here, this website is his and he can say what he wants for content. Our magazine is ours and we say what goes in or not. I'm not trying to get into an agruement to change your mind. I've said this countless times. People won't like everything and to ask something to change because a few people doesn't like something doesn't make sense. We are getting lots of feedback from our readers in our current issue. And lots of them want more picture of girls, and there have been a few that say less. I'm not running out to flood all the pages with pictures of women. But i can say that they are used for models and I really don't see the difference if it were a guy we "hired" to use as a model. The news uses it, movies use it.

Our demograhic is 18-36 not our adult content rating. Is it really hard to have a magazine for you and one for your child, that's what I'm saying.
Old 07-08-2005, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DerekB
Shane works here, this website is his and he can say what he wants for content. Our magazine is ours and we say what goes in or not. I'm not trying to get into an agruement to change your mind. I've said this countless times. People won't like everything and to ask something to change because a few people doesn't like something doesn't make sense. We are getting lots of feedback from our readers in our current issue. And lots of them want more picture of girls, and there have been a few that say less. I'm not running out to flood all the pages with pictures of women. But i can say that they are used for models and I really don't see the difference if it were a guy we "hired" to use as a model. The news uses it, movies use it.

Our demograhic is 18-36 not our adult content rating. Is it really hard to have a magazine for you and one for your child, that's what I'm saying.
I see your point.
So long as it doesn't start hitting the covers and then start looking like some import tuner mag with bikini clad girls holding the latest RC then it would be fine.
Thanks for the discussion.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Tech Master

No hard feelings. I appreciate your opinion about the magazine and I hope you can see ours.

We still rule. And if I knew your address I'd force you to get the magazine each month.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Tech Addict

Arrow what id LOVE to see...

Id love to see less ads and more articles. I usually get all the latest news for rc zone website.... less ads,more atrticles, = me buying more issues.

Also, how do i use Outlook express to get to BBS boards
Old 07-09-2005, 02:57 PM
R/C Tech Founder

scoobydo: The one odd thing about all of this is that there are girls getting featured prominently in some of the other magazines as well -- in some cases even for ads. We do a single spread a month (two pages) with the pics on it, and occasionally one on the cover, but it's nothing compared to some of the import mags, car mags, maxim-ish, etc.

Anyway, we do take care to keep all of that in mind when we put out an issue... it's not an all out over the top thing, we toss in the one girl each month 'cause we think it's fun, and it's never extremely risque... rarely will there just be a girl in a bikini bottom, usually it's cut off shorts, etc. No lingerie shots here!

The *only* thing that bugs me when people complain about the girls in XRC is that in 90% of the cases they have not actually looked at or read the magazine, they just think that's what is in there and then in their mind, they are picturing a naked Maxim spread, which is not what it is.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I see the last post in the thread was from many years ago, is there a new direction to this with some bigger better mag out there that people love?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

glad I saw this..cause Ive emailed 3 different mags, two in which I was a member...to see whats the deal with nothing being written or advertised for onroad racing...do we not have just as much going on as off-road and crawlers...I mean we have Snowbirds....and it barely gets a very small corner thats more saying "Hi" than anything....but you got 40 pages of "BOB AND BILLS, super mud trails"....

I went and looked at alot of the mags...alot...and I bet I could put every piece of advertisement and info on on-road in one mag out of 4 years worth...

I got not one response...but I paid really good money over the last 4 years and I cant get an email answered...but they email me to stay onboard with them...

I currently use these mags to start my grill....or let my 4 year old re-write them in her own special way...

thank you Radio Control Car Action for nothing...I put the check in the mail for Feb 2012...keep looking for it..I promise its there...
Old 02-29-2012, 01:15 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DARKSIDE
glad I saw this..cause Ive emailed 3 different mags, two in which I was a member...to see whats the deal with nothing being written or advertised for onroad racing...do we not have just as much going on as off-road and crawlers...I mean we have Snowbirds....and it barely gets a very small corner thats more saying "Hi" than anything....but you got 40 pages of "BOB AND BILLS, super mud trails"....
Simple answer to "do we not have just as much going on as off road and crawlers" is no. Snowbirds might be big to you, but as far as magazines are concerned reporting on it is a waste of space they can use for off road.

Remember it's just a business, and the whole purpose of magazines is to sell as many magazines as possible and to sell as much advertising space as possible. The people who buy the magazines aren't the same people who race at your local track, if they still relied on racers for magazine sales they would all have disappeared years ago, which is why in the old days half of the magazines were big race meetings both on and off road and why race coverage is almost non existent these days.

I recall being told my a sales rep for an r/c car manufacturer what a shock the actual r/c business was to him. He raced tourers and 10 years ago touring cars were by far the biggest class of racing over here, so he expected to be selling all the latest touring cars and accessories, only to discover that for every race chassis they sold, they sold 50 monster trucks to the bashing crowd.

If the people who buy the magazines are the off road crowd, and the big advertisers are pushing off road stuff because it's their big sellers, then they fill it with off road stuff. They have had many years to see what sells and what doesn't, and it varies with time, go back a few years and everyone was moaning that the magazines were just full of on road stuff.
Having looked through the US magazines recently, if you want them full of on road articles then you will have to persuade Traxxas and HPI to drop their monster trucks and basher buggies, after all they are the ones that fill a lot of the advertising space.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH
I see the last post in the thread was from many years ago, is there a new direction to this with some bigger better mag out there that people love?
Well, actually..... There are only 2 magazines left - RC Driver and RC Car Action....

And, RC Driver HAS featured quite a bit of on road coverage over the years including a local (Kansas City area race) Heart of America Series at Kansas Speedway in April of 2009 and again 5/1/10, Apil 2008 Brushless Racing League finals in Omaha (it's OVAL but it's on carpet - therefore on road too me!), June, 2010 ROAR Nationals at Lincoln, NE. Those were the events that I covered - there have been others too including several years of the Byrons race at Leisure Hours in Joliet.

The bottom line is that no, you won't find on road stuff in every issue of RC Driver but you will find it on a regular basis. I don't have my schedule yet for what races I'll be covering in 2012 so there is a possibility that I may end up with something onroad for this year.

Terry sc hit it on the head - it IS a business - something that I have to be reminded of sometimes by my editor when my passion get's flaring. Advertising dollars to much extent drive content and the number of onroad venues and participants have been declining for many years - therefore the number of pages in magazines has also!

I bring you this as a 'sometimes' onroad racer - and my closest outdoor track to race IGT and GT8 is in Lincoln, NE! So, even though I'm a somewhat enthusiastic participant, the facts stand for themselves.

As a bit of a disclaimer - in no way to I speak on any official basis for RC Driver - I'm just a hobbiest who also happens to write and take a few pictures!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.