Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 03:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mikkel_R
Ran the car for the last few weeks now and I think im finally getting to grips with it. Been trying different things and finally got my base car setup. Have to running the car a fair bit stiffer than stock and dial out alot of initial steering. For the first time last night I felt I could drive it how I wanted and was very happy, never really got the same out of last years car.
Would you mind sharing what changes you have made. I'm running outdoors asphalt and would like take away some of that initial steering which I believe is giving me a car that is a little taily early in the run.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aussierevo
Would you mind sharing what changes you have made. I'm running outdoors asphalt and would like take away some of that initial steering which I believe is giving me a car that is a little taily early in the run.
leave the steering youll need it later,widen the rear track by 0.5 mm 2.7 springs 400 oil and a 1.3 rear roll bar,3mm over ride height fr and 3,5mm rear,youll love it

i also run 0.5 of front arm sweep

today it started damp and the car was planted,as the grip came up the car just got better and better

on carpet 2.6 fr and 2.5 r worked on med grip

and as said underneath drop to a 1mm rear inner link shim

Last edited by chasingthepack; 11-17-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Timezone GP

This was my 1st Carpet race in 2 years with a TC
just got done building the 2014 t4 and use EA setup from Snowbirds for Oil,Spring,Camber link set up put the middle dot on the arm hangers
I did go down one step on spring as thinking we will not have as much grip as Snowbirds so a 2.3 rear and 2.6 front 350 oil

car was good all weekend only took out the 2mm shim inboard rear and put in a 1mm shim
Q5 for A main with a 3rd place finish.

Car is good out of the box
i will post my setup when I can get to the t4 14 sheet

Tim
Old 11-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Skiddins, in the pics of your T4'14, it looks like your front belt is orange, is it?
Old 11-17-2013, 05:18 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by alloyslash
Skiddins, in the pics of your T4'14, it looks like your front belt is orange, is it?
and dont laugh its a floro highlight pen
Old 11-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
leave the steering youll need it later,widen the rear track by 0.5 mm 2.7 springs 400 oil and a 1.3 rear roll bar,3mm over ride height fr and 3,5mm rear,youll love it

i also run 0.5 of front arm sweep

today it started damp and the car was planted,as the grip came up the car just got better and better

on carpet 2.6 fr and 2.5 r worked on med grip

and as said underneath drop to a 1mm rear inner link shim
thanks for sharing this information. I'll give those changes a go.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default A video of the Xray T4 2014 spec

I shot this video today at Ho-b Max RC Park in Durham NC. The winner was Anthony Saunders with his Brand New 2014 Spec Xray T4. He let me drive his car after the race and this car is very very good!!! Hope everyone enjoys the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_SRf...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Tech Regular

Last night was the first outings for the T4 14 on low to med. traction carpet. I started out with the kit carpet set up and it was loose. Change to 400cst front shock oil, lowered the rear roll center .5 at the blocks, added center stand off, removed upper screws from layshaft mount and changed rear tou to 2.5. After these changes the car was on rails. The corner speed was awsome!
Old 11-18-2013, 02:50 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by alloyslash
Yes

and dont laugh its a floro highlight pen
NO... it's a Sharpie paint pen
Old 11-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by aussierevo
My set up so for is for medium grip carpet so cant say it will work on asphalt,

Ride height 5.2 mm front and rear
Camber links as per kit
4 degrees caster
Camber 1.5 degrees front and rear (if you want more rear grip try 2 degrees)
6mm droop front and 5mm on the rear with chassis sat on 10mm blocks
Front roll centre 1mm higher than kit and rear standard
450cst Core oil front and rear with 4 x 1.1mm pistons with 0 rebound and foam inserts
Kit shock positions
Rear toe 3 degrees front 0.5 degrees
Front roll bar 1.4mm ( if you want less front end try 1.6mm) rear 1.2mm
Front spool rear diff 1000cst rear diff in low position and front in high position
All screws in layshaft mount
Standard wheel base setting
Front springs xray 2.9 and rear xray 2.7
Body shell (which has one of the biggest effects ive found) PROTOFORM Mazda speed 6 whi his mounted in the stock postion as is the rear wing
Sorex 28jb tyres using full additive front and rear for 20mins with LRP carpet grip
Again if you need less front end put less additive on front tyres
Old 11-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Default Front wheelbase

Hi,

Has anyone tried shortening the front wheelbase on the t4 14. I was wondering what this would do to the handling?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by King of B Main
Originally Posted by niemand
I gotta say that mine is a quite a bit tail happy.
That's on very high traction carpet only on power.
Other than that I couldn't be much happier with the car so far.

If anyone finds a cure for the tailhappy behaviour I would like to hear it

Regards,
David
I know when I had that problem with T4 I raised the inner camberlinks up in the rear and the problem went away.
Hi,
its been a while, but i got around to testing on that track again.
I tried all sorts of things to get the rear end planted none succeeded, at last a new set of tires was the cure. Seems as if i got a bad set before

Now I've got a bit of an understeer problem especially mid corner.
Here's what I ended up with:
Everthing carpet base setup except for
Carbon stiffeners
Topdeck post
0mm front inner camber links
1mm rear inner camber links
2k diff oil
low diff and spool position
The track is high traction and really tight and the car is super easy to drive but just not fast enough because it lacks steering and therefore cornerspeed.
Suggestions would be highly appreciated. I already tried every possible inner camberlinkheigt combination which had only a small effect.
Maybe I'll try higher rear RC and harder rear antirollbar next time.

Also remind me what does armsweep do?

Regards,
David
Old 11-18-2013, 01:09 PM
Tech Addict

Hi,
its been a while, but i got around to testing on that track again.
I tried all sorts of things to get the rear end planted none succeeded, at last a new set of tires was the cure. Seems as if i got a bad set before

Now I've got a bit of an understeer problem especially mid corner.
Here's what I ended up with:
Everthing carpet base setup except for
Carbon stiffeners
Topdeck post
0mm front inner camber links
1mm rear inner camber links
2k diff oil
low diff and spool position
The track is high traction and really tight and the car is super easy to drive but just not fast enough because it lacks steering and therefore cornerspeed.
Suggestions would be highly appreciated. I already tried every possible inner camberlinkheigt combination which had only a small effect.
Maybe I'll try higher rear RC and harder rear antirollbar next time.

Also remind me what does armsweep do?

Regards,
David
arm sweep will help your situation as it gives more mid and exit,and with the slightly shorter wheel base it gives more turn in,use 0 ackerman shims with arm sweep to keep it the same as if you hadn,t i used a 0.5 center line to the inner on the fr,and +1 on the 1.3 rear roll bar,how much rear toe are you running,on high grip you shouldn't need much,2.5 maybe?
and i can highly recommend widening the rear by 0.5mm
Old 11-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Tech Adept

arm sweep will help your situation as it gives more mid and exit,and with the slightly shorter wheel base it gives more turn in,use 0 ackerman shims with arm sweep to keep it the same as if you hadn,t i used a 0.5 center line to the inner on the fr,and +1 on the 1.3 rear roll bar,how much rear toe are you running,on high grip you shouldn't need much,2.5 maybe?
Thanks for the advice.
3 degrees atm.
I never found less rear toe to make me faster, only made my car harder to drive whenever i tested it, but i admittedly never tried it in such high grip conditions.
I guess I'll add arm sweep and toe in to my list then

There are two high speed left corners on the track and my chassis scrubs on the track, so i would also like to try anti dive, but that would act against the arm sweep right?

Regards, David
Old 11-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the advice.
3 degrees atm.
I never found less rear toe to make me faster, only made my car harder to drive whenever i tested it, but i admittedly never tried it in such high grip conditions.
I guess I'll add arm sweep and toe in to my list then

There are two high speed left corners on the track and my chassis scrubs on the track, so i would also like to try anti dive, but that would act against the arm sweep right?

Regards, David
no it would give a little more initial which will help,anti dive i havn't tried yet as i have enough steering for current cold conditions
but leave that and try widening the rear by 0.5 which gives 3.25 rear toe,on ashphalt im having good results,which also works for me on carpet
the reason for the reduced rear toe would give more overall steering and help it to rotate more
if the chassis is scrubbing raise it 0.4 mm in the rear and 0.2 front

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.