Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree40Likes

Speedmerchant Rev 8

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Josh was on fire at the mhic, I just wish he was running the speedmerchant wgt car so I could get the setup lol.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks guys and a HUGE THANKS to Bruce. I've never gone to a race in all my years and had someone else work on my cars in 1/12. It was a very strange feeling and took some getting used to but everything I asked of Bruce to make the cars do, he made it happen and they ran simply amazing.

My only regret on the weekend was crashing the Mod car in the last qual right off the bat. We ran it the night before and with the adjustments we made it was possibly the best 1/12 car I had driven in a very, very long time. I honestly thought we had a shot at putting a stout 60 lapper on the board. I hurt the car pretty bad though but Bruce got it back close enough for a good battle with Kevin and to still win the main even with the damage I had done. Very impressed to say the least and thankful for all his help and effort.

I am extremely happy to be working with Bruce and will most defiantly be continuing to run Speed Merchant in the future. I'm really looking forward to putting in some work over the coming months so I'm as prepared as possible for the World Championships.
Old 04-16-2014, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Good job Josh, you made it look WAY to easy.

The REV8 is a beautiful car, pleasing to the eye, loaded with goodies, and apparently a good driving machine.

Was good to see you and Bruce this weekend.

Now slow down, you're making the rest of us look bad...
Old 04-18-2014, 04:51 PM
Tech Regular

Josh-

Would you mind sharing your setups for your cars?
Old 04-18-2014, 05:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (98%+)

Originally Posted by avink007
Josh-

Would you mind sharing your setups for your cars?
I second that motion...
Old 04-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

I'll have Josh's set-ups on-line in a day or two.

We actually ran almost the exact same set-up in 17.5, 13.5 and Mod.

Only real change was the tires.

Have a nice weekend.-Bruce
Old 04-19-2014, 07:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

MHIC was definitely a good showing for the Rev8... and it was awesome to watch Josh throw down in Mod.

Can't wait for Vegas...
Old 04-19-2014, 12:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JamesL_71
Can't wait for Vegas...
forget IIC -- think The Worlds!
Old 04-19-2014, 07:08 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter.

We've been pretty busy since we got home, and I'm trying to get the race report done with Josh's set-ups while catching up on orders and e-mails.

I uploaded Josh's Mod TQ run if you want to check it out.

If you click on settings, it can be viewed in 720P.

http://youtu.be/KVk2wEu5KGw

Take care.-Bruce
Old 04-20-2014, 04:11 AM
Tech Addict

Some good results there. Any idea when the moulded side links and new from end will be in stock?
Old 04-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend.

I have the Mile High Race Report up with pics and set-up sheet.

http://www.teamspeedmerchant.com/news.html

If you sent me an e-mail in the past week, I'm going to try to finish all of those tonight. I was hoping to do it today, but with April vacation for the kids this week, my yard has become the playground for the neighborhood. I'm pretty sure my front door has opened and closed 375 times this afternoon. LOL. Not a bad problem to have.

Have a great week.-Bruce
Old 04-21-2014, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Thank you Bruce!
Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for posting pics of Josh's car!

A couple of things I notice. Where the shock mount is, the glued flat servo and, no tape on the battery: there are no asymmetrical bolted or taped elements on the chassis. Compare to the AE car (a very good one, no question), the forward battery plate is offset, creating a rigid top deck structure that is not symmetrical on the main plate. For that matter, compare to the Rev7 and it's offset battery/shock plate when running inline. I suppose one could speculate about whether the asymmetry does or does not matter, but on the Rev8 there's no question.

TC designers have been working very hard to create a perfectly symmetrical bolt pattern on the main deck. Looking at the bare Rev8 deck, all of the slots and screw holes have a symmetrical complement. (The new XRay is the other one that lines up its shock mount. Offset tape slots on that one, though.)

Are those rear pod pieces a work in progress, or did those come out of Josh's box?

Super results! Jeez!
Old 04-21-2014, 07:30 PM
Tech Adept

Hi Todd,

The rear pod plates were a last minute idea that came to fruition because of Larry at Team Tamale.
Josh and I were going back and forth with some texts just a few days before he was leaving for the Pre-Worlds in Florida. We were discussing designs aspects of our cars and reasons behind them, and Josh had mentioned that he had drawn up a new pod for his 12th car. He mentioned a carbon tube for rear support, and I said I had thought about the same thing, but couldn't source out a CF tube with the specs for what I wanted to do. Low and behold, Josh already had 3 feet of tubing sitting on his desk. LOL. So after a couple of CAD files going back and forth, Josh sent me a 3D render of a really cool rear pod.

I sent the CAD files down to Larry to see what he thought. He said he would "try" to get them done for me. Which as far as I can tell in "Larry speak" means they'll be done tomorrow afternoon. LOL. Sure enough, a couple of days later I have the pod pieces sitting in my office thanks to Larry. I got them out the door to Josh's, so they were waiting for him when he got back from Florida and a few days after that, Josh showed up in Denver with two 41mm rear tire size "Josh Pods".

Will they be something I release as a product? I’m really not sure right now. The geometry is the exact same as our stock pieces with standard ride heights. Same axle placement, Top Plate, shock angle, etc. They are waaaaay cool, and also save about 6 or 7 grams. Obviously, the limiting factor is you can only use a 41mm (or very close to) rear tire. For “big” races, it’s not an issue for us at all, but for the club racer it probably isn’t too practical. The size of the tube somewhat limits gearing (because the motor will hit the tube), but it might not actually ever come into play with today’s gearing. The other thing I’ll say about them is they are strong as H E double hockey sticks. LOL. Josh’s mod car went backwards into the back straight wall on Saturday doing what seemed to be 100mph, and the pod was fine. Shattered an axle bearing, but zero damage to the pod plates or the CF tube.

I’m sure once I start getting the final Rev.8’s out the door with the New Schools and the updated rear pieces, I can look into doing a limited run of them for the “serious” racer, or just someone that wants a really cool rear pod.

Take care.-Bruce
Old 04-21-2014, 08:02 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

+1 Larrys pieces are always BULLET PROOF!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.