Search
Like Tree2Likes

Tamiya TRF418

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NItrox416
If I'm not wrong, at titc there were high grip and we saw jilles resulting 11 overall when last year the same driver finished 3th (I don't remember exactly)
I think the has not been properly developed. I think that a 417 raceberry ( not quite different from the 418 imo) with new suspension would be better.
I was thinking the bad results from Marc had to do with a lack of focus on RC racing and enjoying life a bit too much. However when Jilles didnt even make the A-main at TITC, it is clear that either the 418 is not a very good car, or they don't know how to set it up yet.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:56 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by narcotiks
The 418 is definitely better than the 417v5 raceberry. However, that being said, the raceberry lower deck(hard) is significantly flexier than the 418 lower deck which means that the raceberry was a hell of a lot easier to get working on lower grip tracks like gran canaria. That alone puts the 418 at a disadvantage and would need a drastic setup to get it to work, which obviously can't be achieved without the help of the Tamiya mechanics, which Tamiya AREN'T sending to the ETS with Marc and Viktor.

Yokomo sends the lead designer of the BD7 as a mechanic for Volker. For that reason, Volkers car will always be well set up for whatever track he is racing on, because he ALWAYS has a mechanic.
Second carpet outing for Marc. Tamiya made him a more flexible lower deck. It didn't help Marc go faster. So he does have a proper lower deck already for this past ETS race with low grip.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:00 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NItrox416
If I'm not wrong, at titc there were high grip and we saw jilles resulting 11 overall when last year the same driver finished 3th (I don't remember exactly)
I think the has not been properly developed. I think that a 417 raceberry ( not quite different from the 418 imo) with new suspension would be better.
Why do you think the new suspension is better? Tamiya has won (3) world championships with the last suspension arms used.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Tech Elite

I sincerely doubt the new arms have made any difference to the car. The new rear hubs will have made a difference - they are now just the same as the HPI suspension etc with a ball stud hole that is in between the old holes. The new steering knuckles are also a tiny change that I doubt has made any difference.

If you want to suspension geometry to be like the old car that is a quick change. The drivetrain on the 418 is brilliant. The flex characteristics of the chassis are perhaps a little stiffer than some competitors (Tamiya's carbon seems stiffer for the same thickness) but that is also a relatively easy change. The way that the layshaft is bolted to the layshaft mounts does make the car stiffer than a car with floating layshaft mounts so maybe that is something that could be looked into, after all the 2014 Yoke has gone for a full floating layshaft.

These are not difficult elements to change, even as an amateur I could go through these options on one test day. I suspect that it is more a case of Tamiya's European stars waning while the younger drivers improve combined with improvements to the XRAY which has made it a better car since it has copied more and more of the Tamiya/HPI/Yokomo design principles.

It is impossible to believe that there is anything fundamentally wrong with the 418 because it is almost identical to the 2013 Yokomo... Rheinard wanted a Yoke copy and he got it but perhaps Volker is just the better driver now!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 10:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Thought this was intresting to see on one of the Tamiya cars: http://ets.redrc.net/gallery/?nggpage=8

2 lower right pics.....
Old 03-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Tech Regular

Since not only Volker is in front also other brands and that's the point. For example, Kyosho, Serpent, and I love that name HOT Body ... Like my new wife

Why is everyone suddenly faster than our TRF 418? Marc ninth and tenth Viktor?
Old 03-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Sorry Marc eight
Old 03-03-2014, 11:19 AM
CL
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
Thought this was intresting to see on one of the Tamiya cars: http://ets.redrc.net/gallery/?nggpage=8

2 lower right pics.....
Oh wow! They're using Aluminum chassis.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

Now the Tamiya factory drivers have to work harder than ever before and Tamiya need to do some serious development and not just copy Yokomo. By copying someone you risk at always be left one step behind. They have to lead the development and be innovative. They should have the resources to do so.
Tamiya and its drivers now need to work hard togeter and the results will come. It is clear that the competition have catched up and to me it seems Tamiya and its drivers are standing still.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Tech Addict

In my opinion one of the areas where brands like Xray and Yokomo have most definitely caught up to and possibly even surpassed Tamiya is the strength of the teams that attend these big races, so I think they get to go through more setup work in the same amount of time or less.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by CL
Oh wow! They're using Aluminum chassis.
Yes, it suffices to prove the last place

That was the surprise effect went into the Pants. Sorry not funny at this time
Old 03-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Caught up to TRF? HB 1 WC, Yokomo 1 WC, Tamiya 5 WC's. Everyone else O.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

They'll get it right .......it's just hard to watch them sort it out ...

Marc might need a little attitude adjustment IMO
Old 03-03-2014, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skitee
In my opinion one of the areas where brands like Xray and Yokomo have most definitely caught up to and possibly even surpassed Tamiya is the strength of the teams that attend these big races, so I think they get to go through more setup work in the same amount of time or less.
+1.... Umino goes everywhere... Kiyo only a few!
Old 03-03-2014, 04:39 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Simmi
Yes, it suffices to prove the last place

That was the surprise effect went into the Pants. Sorry not funny at this time
Are you Gus sure that was Marc's or Victors car? I don't think it is

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.