Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 01:58 PM
Tech Master

If people still aren't interested in racing them, try mixing things up a bit, like longer heats, 19T motor, require a "real" F1 livery and have 2 car teams with drivers and constructors points, etc. Since it's just a fun class, the tracks shouldn't mind as long as there are enough cars to make a class. In NorCal, we run 6 minute heats with 19T motors. We originally chose 19T when there was only one gearing option and the highest rpm stock motors were too slow for the large tracks we race on, but now that it's asphalt season, some of the 19T sedan guys have switched over to F201 so they can run a 19T class and we continue to race with 19T. If all else fails, take your car out and run a pack in practice at each race. Even if they aren't that interested in F1, the tire squeal will get their attention and you might get some takers that way.
Old 04-19-2004, 02:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by psycho
If people still aren't interested in racing them, try mixing things up a bit, like longer heats, 19T motor, require a "real" F1 livery and have 2 car teams with drivers and constructors points, etc. Since it's just a fun class, the tracks shouldn't mind as long as there are enough cars to make a class. In NorCal, we run 6 minute heats with 19T motors. We originally chose 19T when there was only one gearing option and the highest rpm stock motors were too slow for the large tracks we race on, but now that it's asphalt season, some of the 19T sedan guys have switched over to F201 so they can run a 19T class and we continue to race with 19T. If all else fails, take your car out and run a pack in practice at each race. Even if they aren't that interested in F1, the tire squeal will get their attention and you might get some takers that way.
Dammit I miss the bay area!!

Iowa sucks!
Old 04-19-2004, 04:58 PM
Tech Elite

I'll miss California if I move away.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:26 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by psycho
Definately mix things up...the F1 class brings up a lot of really interesting opportunities for some great spec class racing. From 6 minute 19T classes to our 40 minute Sport Tuned Mabuchi class. The cars look so much more realistic on the track and keeping the motor and batteries the same makes an even class that people love to race in.

As for the post reguarding getting one or not...Well as you see only 1 person seems to not appreciate the car. I'm a 15+ year racing veteran, 13+ year F1 racer, race director for www.formula1-rc.com for 12 of those years, and I thoroughly enjoy the F201. Even though I'm a pan car racer at heart. The F201 opens up more opportunity for racers as the 4wd makes it easier for new comers to drive. This can only make racing better. As far as tuning...it didn't take me long to realize how much more complex and more tuning options are available on the F201 because of it's inboard shock cantilever suspension. The original F201s had some durability issues with the suspension arms but the newer tuned chassis has fixed this problem with beefier suspension arms. Hopups anyone? From Tamiya alone there's a good amount of hopups available that are TCS legal...Outside of Tamiya parts there are so many hopups available you can build pretty much an entire car out of hopup parts. Is the car perfect? Far from it...Typical to Tamiya the rod ends have a lot of play in them, the stock tires are not so great, and a few other minor problems that can be taken care of. If your an F1 enthusiast you'll enjoy the car...if not the choice is harder...look around and see if there's a racing class of them you can watch near by. That should help you make your decision.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:24 AM
Tech Regular

InspGadgt,

I know i'm not the only one that doesn't like the car. The thing that strikes me tough is the fact that if there is someone that dislikes it and says so here gets a mouthfull by a few people on this forum. This does not bother me at all, but it seems to "scare off" other people from speaking up. In my oppinion you and other people are free to find it a great car but give others a chance to say that they don't. If everyone, as is claimed in this forum, thinks it is a great car there will never be an improvement on it. Same goes for other products. Supposing no one spoke up 40 odd years ago that they wanted color tv cause b/w isn't realistic, we would never have had color tv.
Now i know you are trying your best on your own site to give info on improving the car, but do we need to have this forum sound like a "Car Action" review? "Aww Great, best car ever!"

Regards
Old 04-20-2004, 10:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally posted by Hardriven RC
InspGadgt,

I know i'm not the only one that doesn't like the car. The thing that strikes me tough is the fact that if there is someone that dislikes it and says so here gets a mouthfull by a few people on this forum. This does not bother me at all, but it seems to "scare off" other people from speaking up.
Dude....dude...c'mon...

Here's what you posted:

They are total sh**! Believe me, i'm a 11 year Tamiya challenge veteran. If you have the option to go for a touring do that!
The biggest mistake Tamiya ever made was go from a very good car (F103) to this heap of bolts. Sure they look more realistic then the F103's, but thats the only good thing about them.[/B]
Look at it another way...I think TC3's are flimsy pieces of crap. Would I go into the TC-3 forum and start posting that they suck?

Do you think that the TC-3 owners would pound me silly?

Nobody here is saying that you don't have a right to speak up, but please don't act like a martyr because everyone in an F201-only thread says you're wrong. Honestly...that should only surprise someone who's not really bright.

They run a bunch of them at the local tracks...and everyone likes them. They look cool, sound cool and they're different than the never-ending stream TC's...I'm pretty sure that's the way it's supposed to be.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

InspGadgt,

I know i'm not the only one that doesn't like the car. The thing that strikes me tough is the fact that if there is someone that dislikes it and says so here gets a mouthfull by a few people on this forum. This does not bother me at all, but it seems to "scare off" other people from speaking up. In my oppinion you and other people are free to find it a great car but give others a chance to say that they don't. If everyone, as is claimed in this forum, thinks it is a great car there will never be an improvement on it. Same goes for other products. Supposing no one spoke up 40 odd years ago that they wanted color tv cause b/w isn't realistic, we would never have had color tv.
Now i know you are trying your best on your own site to give info on improving the car, but do we need to have this forum sound like a "Car Action" review? "Aww Great, best car ever!"

Regards
You are not the only one that feels this way... There are a couple of you hanging around...

Again... try making good points...
1. color tv? what are you comparing it to dude? comparing the F201 electric car to another electric car is good... color tv comparing it to what?!?!?!?
2. The formula1-rc is for ALL FORMULA 1 cars, not just the F201.
Again I see that research is not one of your strong points.
3. Compare the F201 to the F103 and the Road wizard would have been a good idea, just stating something is a piece of crap with no content means little if any creditability you may have and any future points as well.
4. Mags: Car action, x-treme, RC driver all have published reviews about the F201 and have praised it as the long-awaited replacment for the F103, Again these are their opinions, not mine.
5. Now this is a cheap shot but I'm in a pissy mood today....
Being first in Belgium is like being in the K main here in the states.
There is a hell of alot more racers and fast drivers here across the pond than in Belgium.....
Old 04-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Tech Regular

Turbo Joe,

I only posted that as a reply to a question by someone on the thread. I just tried to put things in perspective. I love my TC3, but that does not mean that it is a perfect car. You probably feel the same about about your F201. If you need to keep your F201 in TCS trim, like i do, you have to agree that there are better cars out there. The guy asking if it is any good drives a Serpent "710". Not much can compare to that. Thus to get him to like electric cars he needs to get the best out there. What the best car out there is, i don't know! All i know is that an F201 isn't it. Now altough my statement was a bit harsh on the car i stand by it. I do however still race mine and am currently first in our National TCS series with it. This is mostly due to the fact that our first races of the year were on carpet where the car does handle fine.

Regards
Old 04-20-2004, 11:23 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Nova F1 Racer

2. The formula1-rc is for ALL FORMULA 1 cars, not just the F201.
Again I see that research is not one of your strong points.
You might have noticed that i have an article posted on the F1 site!
Do your research right!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:29 AM
Tech Regular

5. Now this is a cheap shot but I'm in a pissy mood today....
Being first in Belgium is like being in the K main here in the states.
There is a hell of alot more racers and fast drivers here across the pond than in Belgium.....
I never claimed to be the worlds best driver.

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you so you keep on loving your F201 and i'll keep loving my wife!

Last edited by Hardriven RC; 04-20-2004 at 11:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Tech Champion

I never claimed to be the worlds best driver. But stating that Americans are the best in the world is a little over the top. Who was the last Worldchamp in the touring class? Who has been the worldchampion in gas 1/8th for the last few years? Who has the biggest list of worldchampionships?

I'm not getting into a pissing contest with you so you keep on loving your F201 and i'll keep loving my wife!
No, I am the world's worse driver DAM it!!!!!!

I worked hard to get that title!!!

1/8 scale? Who cares... I was comparing Belgium to US Dude....
Level on competition....... Again whare is the facts!!!!!!!!!!

And I'll keep loving you wife too...

Just kidding!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Tech Champion

You might have noticed that i have an article posted on the F1 site!
Do your research right!
Now... I'm actually waiting for one of the two nitro F1s that are coming out this spring/summer...... those will be rear wheel drive only....

And I will go back and read the article, which one id it?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Turbo Joe,

I only posted that as a reply to a question by someone on the thread. I just tried to put things in perspective. I love my TC3, but that does not mean that it is a perfect car. You probably feel the same about about your F201.
I just bought one and I haven't raced it yet, because I need to learn how to make it work first.

You could have made a good point had you said, "Hmmmm...it's probably not a good choice as an entry level car or your first electric car." In my limited experience, it isn't.

It's a fun car to watch and all the guys who run them seem to have a good time. They keep the mods to a minimum and don't get all cut-throat, like with the "real" TC's...they're different and fun to watch, just like the Minis.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:59 AM
Tech Regular

Now... I'm actually waiting for one of the two nitro F1s that are coming out this spring/summer...... those will be rear wheel drive only....

And I will go back and read the article, which one id it?
David Joos, F1 World Champion ...Read More (btw he is Belgian)

Congratulations to David Joos of Belgium who recently won the European TCS championship in the F201 class. He will be representing Europe in Japan for the world finals.

Congratulations to all of the other participants that raced as well.

Good luck David in Japan!

For more information visit:
http://users.pandora.be/tamiya.belgi...eling%20TB.htm

Quick Tip: Easy Motor Removal

Tamiya F201 TB01 Gear Modification

So you can see i'm not a stranger to the site.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Turbo Joe
I just bought one and I haven't raced it yet, because I need to learn how to make it work first.

You could have made a good point had you said, "Hmmmm...it's probably not a good choice as an entry level car or your first electric car." In my limited experience, it isn't.

It's a fun car to watch and all the guys who run them seem to have a good time. They keep the mods to a minimum and don't get all cut-throat, like with the "real" TC's...they're different and fun to watch, just like the Minis.
Well, there you go. I didn't like the mini's either. Just shows people have different tastes! And thats a good thing or the world would be a boring place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.