Community
Wiki Posts
Search

F201

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2003, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

I'm basing my opinions on the Tamiya Nitro kits, and the 'base' level electric kits i've owned, driven or compared -others (friends) who own the kits-. They're cheap, with alot of slop. I'm not sure about the Surikarn version electric TC as I've never driven nor built one, but all of the other kits are more on the level of Radio Shack kits ... upgraded versions albeit, and for the most part garbage unless you like to collect them -Tamiya body, and model kits are outstanding with detail-.

Perhaps the F201 is actually a performance kit? I doubt it from past experience, but then again I've never built nor driven one; and if I would have to guess -such as I did- I would say its construction is garbage as well ... do correct me if I'm wrong I think if Serpent, Kyosho or Yokomo etc. were to make a serious offering -of an F1 kit- then you would be able to have a fair comparison of quality more than now I guess.

I'm from up North .. and its not popular at all here and I wish it were! Especially if it were to be nitro.

I would assume its not incredibly popular either elsewhere, seeming as though only Tamiya produces a 'race class' F1 kit that is readily available -and does not need to be special ordered- while no other company does. Don't even say theres the Delphi kit, what a lightweight toy junker that is
Old 10-05-2003, 09:18 PM
Tech Regular

Default Stabiliser Plate

Ok who's using the stabiliser plate on the front end?

Why?

Why not?
Old 10-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by chorner
I'm basing my opinions on the Tamiya Nitro kits, and the 'base' level electric kits i've owned, driven or compared -others (friends) who own the kits-. They're cheap, with alot of slop. I'm not sure about the Surikarn version electric TC as I've never driven nor built one, but all of the other kits are more on the level of Radio Shack kits ... upgraded versions albeit, and for the most part garbage unless you like to collect them -Tamiya body, and model kits are outstanding with detail-.

Perhaps the F201 is actually a performance kit? I doubt it from past experience, but then again I've never built nor driven one; and if I would have to guess -such as I did- I would say its construction is garbage as well ... do correct me if I'm wrong I think if Serpent, Kyosho or Yokomo etc. were to make a serious offering -of an F1 kit- then you would be able to have a fair comparison of quality more than now I guess.

I'm from up North .. and its not popular at all here and I wish it were! Especially if it were to be nitro.

I would assume its not incredibly popular either elsewhere, seeming as though only Tamiya produces a 'race class' F1 kit that is readily available -and does not need to be special ordered- while no other company does. Don't even say theres the Delphi kit, what a lightweight toy junker that is
I hope you didn't come in here to bash the car without even driving it. Your assumptions of the F201 are narrow minded and uncalled for. Your comparisons of the F201 to another kit is ridiculous, you may as well compare yourself to the opposite gender. You can't just do it. You do have a point regarding nitro kits, but to bring you up to current events, the F201 is not a nitro kit.

The popularity of the F1 genre is in a class by itself. Just because it's not popular in your neck of the woods, doesn't mean it's not popular anywhere else. For example, lets look at 1/5th scale cars, they aren't that popular in most parts of the country (US), however, these beasts are extremely popular in parts of EU, and select cities in the US that can accomodate them.

The F201 is an extremely competitive car with numerous companies that produce after market hop ups. At the Tamiya North American Finals, the F201 cars (with unadjustable gearing) were doing similar laps and lap times with the sedan GT1 class using the same handout motor.

Never assume, you give a negative impression of yourself. Constructive criticism is always good when solving problems and improving driving skills. Bashing the car, and comparing it to a different class shows lack of knowledge.
Old 10-06-2003, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

chorner

What difference does it make whether it's a performance kit or not? That doesn't make it any less fun to race. If you race the car with other F201's everyone has the same issues that you do, so whether it is a performance kit or not becomes irrelevant. There is the customary Tamiya slop in the suspension, but it's nothing a few o-rings and shims won't take care of. If your track has an F1 class, you're an F1 fan or just want to have a cool car that is really fun and challenging to race, I recommend the F201 highly. I don't think you'll be disappointed. We're not talking about a kit that costs $300 here either. It's a great car for the money and you can easily get inexpensive replacement parts, unlike a Radio Shack car.

Last weekend at the TCS Nationals, the F201's were turning virtually the same lap times as the performance sedans, so maybe that will give you something to think about.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:11 PM
Tech Rookie

The f201 is pretty good once you start work on it.

Last edited by solid snake; 10-06-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Tech Adept

RCInfinity, I think you took me wrong

I wasn't trying to bash the kit, I was merely trying to find out how well the kit was built as I'm very skeptical of buying the kit based on past experience. Thats all; like I said I havn't built or driven it so I was not commenting directly on the F201 itself.

Sorry you took me wrong on that front; but in all reality I don't like Tamiya producs based again, on past experience. Which is why, while I'd love to run an F1 RC kit, I wonder about the quality of the only real kit out there thats available. Just because its the best available, doesn't mean its actually good

Lets hope the don't use a square chunk of plastic like they did for the TG10 series suspension arms haha

As for the slop, that was one of the main points that bugged me with past kits; even after I shimmed up about 12 areas on the kit. Brutal; and the plastic has the shiny radio shack plastic inherent cheapness to it. To give it credit though, its tought as nails; probably because it flexes more than your average ballerina before breaking All in all, Tamiyas model cars in general remind me of their scale models; but with engines and radio equipment slapped on.

Perhaps that doesn't matter at all when it comes down to it; and that the F201 is actually a good kit Its certainly priced low enough anyway.

So how much are you guys spending to 'tighten' up the F201 and get it to a point where you're happy with it?
Old 10-06-2003, 01:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Chroner,
Do you know which car won the IFMAR 1/10th ISTC worlds in 2002? Stop being a hater, and just get one build it and drive it! I got a OFNA 1/10th gas F1 car to sell ya if your really in to nitro.

Last edited by gtypecanare; 10-06-2003 at 02:17 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:57 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah yeah :P

I probably will just grab one and shut up oh well!

Btw, GIFF?
Old 10-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Tech Elite

RCInfinity, I think you took me wrong

I wasn't trying to bash the kit, I was merely trying to find out how well the kit was built as I'm very skeptical of buying the kit based on past experience. Thats all; like I said I havn't built or driven it so I was not commenting directly on the F201 itself.

Sorry you took me wrong on that front; but in all reality I don't like Tamiya producs based again, on past experience. Which is why, while I'd love to run an F1 RC kit, I wonder about the quality of the only real kit out there thats available. Just because its the best available, doesn't mean its actually good

Lets hope the don't use a square chunk of plastic like they did for the TG10 series suspension arms haha

As for the slop, that was one of the main points that bugged me with past kits; even after I shimmed up about 12 areas on the kit. Brutal; and the plastic has the shiny radio shack plastic inherent cheapness to it. To give it credit though, its tought as nails; probably because it flexes more than your average ballerina before breaking All in all, Tamiyas model cars in general remind me of their scale models; but with engines and radio equipment slapped on.

Perhaps that doesn't matter at all when it comes down to it; and that the F201 is actually a good kit Its certainly priced low enough anyway.

So how much are you guys spending to 'tighten' up the F201 and get it to a point where you're happy with it?
Chorner, I appreciate your cander, and honesty. As far as spending a little cash to tighten up the car, I invested only drivetrain components to improve efficiency. Most everyone else bought all legal Tamiya hopups. Maybe next TCS season I'll get the rest.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by gtypecanare
Hey Chroner,
Do you know which car won the IFMAR 1/10th ISTC worlds in 2002? Stop being a hater, and just get one build it and drive it! I got a OFNA 1/10th gas F1 car to sell ya if your really in to nitro. All I got to say is ...GIFF.
This statement sounds so unbecoming of you. G.I.F.F. is an acronym that haters use too.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:14 PM
Tech Elite

What does G.I.F.F. stand for anyways? PM me the answer please.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:22 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Rod,
Do you still have the Williams FW14B body set for the F102. I have a contact that maybe interested in it if it is up for sale. Oh, btw, I retracted the comment made earlier.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yeah, but neither of them have decal sets...that's the catch!
Old 10-06-2003, 02:48 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Rod,
You have a PM
Old 10-07-2003, 02:40 PM
Tech Addict

Reinforced arms pic

http://groups.msn.com/SanDiegoTifosi...to&PhotoID=151

Last edited by gtypecanare; 10-07-2003 at 05:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.