Search
Like Tree11Likes

ORCA vs Hobbywing

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 05:27 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I run both Orca and HW. A few years ago, I would give the nod to Orca. But Hobbywing really stepped up their game in the last few years. I would consider them on par now.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

This B32 ESC has a super low profile
Attached Thumbnails ORCA vs Hobbywing-img_0463.jpg   ORCA vs Hobbywing-img_0464.jpg  
beyondthepack and alecladanga like this.
Old 12-13-2017, 11:06 AM
Tech Regular

This isn't necessarily Orca v Hobbywing but has been touched on in this thread. Can anyone tell me why a 120amp esc will perform better than 60amp in blinky stock racing (ie 21.5T or 17.5T) when the motors draw about 30amp and both can deliver that comfortably, and both have a much higher burst current rating if necessary.

I am new to racing this year (well this decade since the last time was in the 90s) and so many people are running 160amp esc in stock class racing which seems overkill to me - am i missing something or is it a good salesperson convincing them they need 'the best'?
Old 12-13-2017, 11:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If they were identical except the amp rating, there'd be (close to) no difference between them in that scenario. However, the different amp rating is just one aspect. Component quality of the internals is probably different, as is the whole design, as is probably the internal resistance or the smoothness or the setting options. It's the whole package that is different, not just one number.
Old 12-13-2017, 09:19 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dawgmeat
This B32 ESC has a super low profile
mine arrived yesterday, can't wait for the weekend to install it
dawgmeat and mikeygar like this.
Old 12-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DirkW
If they were identical except the amp rating, there'd be (close to) no difference between them in that scenario. However, the different amp rating is just one aspect. Component quality of the internals is probably different, as is the whole design, as is probably the internal resistance or the smoothness or the setting options. It's the whole package that is different, not just one number.
Thanks that does make sense. The people telling me didn't put it like that, rather they said the lower amp rating would constrain the motor as it couldn't deliver the current. I realise you get what you pay for most of the time but this definitely felt like a sales pitch to lighten my wallet by a couple hundred dollars! If only i had consistent lap times and had to worry about the ESC being marginally better...
Old 12-14-2017, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In some classes the amp rating will indeed be the limit - but those should be beyond the recommended usage for a Justock anyway. And mind: I'm not saying that no 60A ESC can be as good or maybe even better than another (more expensive) 120A ESC - I just tried to give probable explanations why, in the case that was discussed earlier, the ORCA VX was apparently somewhat better than that Justock (I'm actually a little astonished by how much - I would have thought the difference to be way smaller).