Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree11Likes

ORCA vs Hobbywing

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 01:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I ran the two of them, 13.5 boosted. The ORCA has a great feeling, maybe better that the Hobbywing, but the Hobbywing XR10 is more reassuring, working flawlessly and easier to setup.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 12-04-2017, 05:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh-n-ya
The VRITRA VX is ok for mod and blinky and the VX-1 is for 12th scale right? Also do you have to use the USB Link with the Program card or can they be used seperately? Wanting to try something new so this esc is new to me so any info would help. thx
I've been running a justock HW ESC which I bought at TITC this year for our local club races. my fastest laptime with it was 12.1 sec in our small and technical outdoor asphalt track. 17.5 blinky class.

Messed that esc up with negative polarity (my first after so many years in RC) and switched to my back up ESC which was the VRITRA VX (my first orca esc which i havent run in years). Immediately, on the next and first heat with the old esc, achieved an 11.9 fast lap without even adjusting it yet (blinky mode).

Just saying that even an old orca esc is still very good. just waiting for the b32 to arrive.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:19 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You're comparing a low budget 45 amp esc with a high end 160 amp esc.. It should be obvious.
Originally Posted by alecladanga
I've been running a justock HW ESC which I bought at TITC this year for our local club races. my fastest laptime with it was 12.1 sec in our small and technical outdoor asphalt track. 17.5 blinky class.

Messed that esc up with negative polarity (my first after so many years in RC) and switched to my back up ESC which was the VRITRA VX (my first orca esc which i havent run in years). Immediately, on the next and first heat with the old esc, achieved an 11.9 fast lap without even adjusting it yet (blinky mode).

Just saying that even an old orca esc is still very good. just waiting for the b32 to arrive.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Are ORCA ESC repairable? If they are where do L send mine too.
Old 12-05-2017, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by vivo quevas
Are ORCA ESC repairable? If they are where do L send mine too.
In North America - you can contact ABOUT RC RACING LTD, email is [email protected]
Old 12-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by moistAF
You're comparing a low budget 45 amp esc with a high end 160 amp esc.. It should be obvious.
Orca are not known to show their amp rating on their esc and from their specifications, I was only able to calculate around 120A max output for their newest esc. I HIGHLY doubt their old esc would have a 160A rating. Also, Hobbywing juststock escs are 60A and not 45.

I've tried to compare the Hobbywing juststock esc vs Orca VX3 on 17.5 and I can't feel a noticeable difference in power. The Orca might be slightly smoother but in stock class I don't think it matters that much.
alecladanga and Ggrant like this.
Old 12-06-2017, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

IIRC, up until the VX3, ORCA ESCs were 120A(720A peak) - just like Hobbywing's v3.1. And fun fact: 120A used to be enough even for mod racing then - now people almost pee in their pants if an ESC doesn't promise the new magic 160A number.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:59 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by disaster999
Orca are not known to show their amp rating on their esc and from their specifications, I was only able to calculate around 120A max output for their newest esc. I HIGHLY doubt their old esc would have a 160A rating.
The ratings are purely calculated on everyone's ESC's.

They never take into account the circuits around them.
Try putting 120A continuously through them and see what happens.

N.B. The Black Diamond LV (slightly taller version) has it's MOSFET's rated at 234A continuous.
It's a bit like the 'C' ratings on Lipo's, not a great deal of use.
Lonestar likes this.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:46 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

So you think Orca's published amp rating is bloated, but hobbywing's 45 amp rating is underrated?
Justock is rated at 45amps, and 60amp version has a different name. 45amp justock or 60amp xr10justock, still a big difference when compared to 160 published or 120, as you say.
You may not feel the difference, but 'alecladanga' saw difference in laptimes, and it's not surprising why.

Originally Posted by disaster999
Orca are not known to show their amp rating on their esc and from their specifications, I was only able to calculate around 120A max output for their newest esc. I HIGHLY doubt their old esc would have a 160A rating. Also, Hobbywing juststock escs are 60A and not 45.

I've tried to compare the Hobbywing juststock esc vs Orca VX3 on 17.5 and I can't feel a noticeable difference in power. The Orca might be slightly smoother but in stock class I don't think it matters that much.
mikeygar likes this.
Old 12-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Regional Moderator

Originally Posted by moistAF
So you think Orca's published amp rating is bloated, but hobbywing's 45 amp rating is underrated?
Justock is rated at 45amps, and 60amp version has a different name. 45amp justock or 60amp xr10justock, still a big difference when compared to 160 published or 120, as you say.
You may not feel the difference, but 'alecladanga' saw difference in laptimes, and it's not surprising why.
Im just questioning where came up with 160A for an old VX esc from orca as they never published any official ratings of their ESC that I know of. He mentioned he bought the ESC at TITC this year. The Justock Club Spec is the only stock ESC rated at 45amps which was long discontinued. I doubt any manufacture promoting their products at any event would sell old discontinued products so I assumed he has to be talking about the 60amp xr10justock.

You are saying he shouldnt be surprised to see better laptops because he went from 60amps to 120amps, but Im arguing that the different amp rating between the ESC has very little to do with his improved lap times. Maybe the the Orca has a better power delivery compared to the Hobbywing, its hard to tell when he is only comparing his fastest lap times in 2 different heats and only a difference of 0.2seconds. If he is talking about average lap times then maybe his statement might hold, but theres just too many variables to clearly justify the Orca ESC is better than the hobbywing over a 0.2s fastest lap time

Last edited by disaster999; 12-08-2017 at 07:33 PM.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:25 AM
Tech Elite

It's probably not the amp rating alone. You're comparing a former top of the line ESC from ORCA (which usually go for ~200€ new) to a bottom of the line ESC from Hobbywing (which usually go for like ~50-60€ new) - there are probably quite a few differences internally, that result in the lower amperage - among other things.

If you want to compare apples to apples, it would have to be something more like this:

ORCA VX vs Hobbwing v3 120A ESC
ORCA VXX vs Hobbwing v3.1 120A ESC
ORCA VX3/R32(x) vs Hobbywing XR-10 Pro 160A

(at least IIRC, those were the top models that were up against each other at roughly the same time. No Justock model has an equivalent in ORCA's lineup, so comparing that, is apples to oranges, IMHO.)

That being said, I like both ORCA and Hobbywing products and will continue to buy both.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alecladanga

The implication as many have interpreted is that one ESC is better than the other. I do not see how one can come to this conclusion as the track may groove up, hence better lap times. Our first qualifier at my asphalt track is always slower than our second qualifier.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Tech Master

Location: A step closer to where I need to be a step further from where I was
Default Both

I have both and can't swear one is better, I lean towards HW because they have treated me well from a CS perspective. I don't really think for either the difference for the same "level" esc is discernible for most if any.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

really glad that I made that statement as it produced a lot information and technicalities on ESC comparisons. Many thanks for those who have expressed their opinions and technical know how, much appreciated.

To put more details to my observation and opinion between Justock HW 65 amps and the Orca Vitra VX, made this statement really to benefit the newbies who often read threads but never really comment or partake in the discussion (because i was like that before and sometimes still). Just to state that they dont have to buy the latest ESCs but if they can, buy a second hand or older ESCs that could be or are better. It's new vs old. I know it's NOT apples to apples comparison, because that's the point. Even if a new ESC that is just blinky at 65 amps only, couldn't perform better than an old ESC 120 amps that could have so many tuning options or better power delivery. Of course, purchasing of equipment will also depend on the race/track rules and regulations.

To put into context my laptimes, 11.9 was my fastest lap and not average. I've raced with Justock HW for 2 full race days and changing set up of both car and ESC and the fastest lap I could do with it was 12.1 sec.

As stated, when I switched to ORCA, without any adjustments to the car and ESC, immediately made 11.9. Just raced this past Saturday (third race) and my fastest lap went down to 11.7. It could be that I'm getting used to the track but for me, the feel of the ORCA is just so better even if its a really old one compared to a new HW Blinky ESC.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:22 PM
Tech Initiate

I never used an Orca speedo, so can't comment on those.
My son and I use a couple of Xr10 Pro's and the work flawlessly. Never had an issue with them (accept reversing polarity, which I did twice on the same speedo).
The biggest advantage of the Xr10 is that you can finetune every single parameter. I use the Wifi module in combination with my mobile phone. It's a really awesome speedo with an great software.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.