Tech Adept

Sakura NU build
moparSRT likes this.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by triguy1975

Sakura NU build
Looks good, you might want to change out that spur for VTA ... its way to big

My build coming along, I like the pink bits so went through my parts bin to find them
XI NU in disguise lol

Old 04-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Tech Adept

moparSRT what are you running on the spur? I was thinking about changing out to a 64 pitch and going like 90/45 to get the typical 4.0 ratio to start with. I was doing the math with the "suggested" 23T pinion and was floored by the 7.3 ratio suggested.

I do like the pink BTW.. I'm going to have to get the right parts later. I went with the same motor. I'm not 100% sold if the xray or NU are going to be the VTA car versus the USGT 21.5. I haven't received my motors yet due to Fedex delays! I'm also looking forward to hearing how those shocks do. I'm going with my Yeah Racing althought I'm not sure on the piston. I went with a one hole piston and 30 wt shock oil. Seems to be a decent combo, but am of course wondering if I shouldn't have started with the 2 hole.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:17 PM
Tech Master

90t 64p which gets you anywhere from 4.25 - 2.90 fdr

For the 21.5 im starting with 4.19fdr and will go from there, i'm on a good sized crc black carpet track.

Never built yeah shocks, but more smaller holes is better then one big one ... I built the stock shocks with the 3x1 pistons & 35wt oil

Was planning on running usgt but its dead in my area, so TC 21.5 is the direction.
Old 05-01-2018, 08:54 AM
Tech Master

Another great weekend with the XI's, VTA was dialed, 21.5 TC not bad for its first time out.
Ended up replacing the stock NU bumper with the older one, the NU was to short and had no support on the body 3RACING FOAM BUMPER XI

DaSilva3525 likes this.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

I love my NU as well. I almost have it dialed in as my 21.5 TC. I was having some steering issues and trouble shot it back to a bad servo from HL. It kept hanging up at certain locations and just wouldn't hold a trim worth a crap. I thought it was a bind in the steering link until I took the servo off and the link was moving smooth, but my servo wasn't. I did buy the upgraded Al steering unit for good measure. I also had an issue with my rear diff leaking after the initial build. After a very careful rebuild it appears to be holding.

My VTA is dialed in nicely too. Our race was cancelled this past weekend so I'm hoping the weather cooperates for this weeks practice so I can stop crashing the local tennis court for practice.
Old 05-03-2018, 09:24 AM
Tech Master

Used SAK-D304/PK Aluminum Rear Hub (1 Degree) For Sakura D3 and the 1.5 mount to reduce rear toe down to 0.5, mounted the hubs backwards (right to left). This should loosen up the VTA on the black rug some more in the rear

Old 05-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Tech Master

.... I also had an issue with my rear diff leaking after the initial build. After a very careful rebuild it appears to be holding.

My VTA is dialed in nicely too. Our race was cancelled this past weekend so I'm hoping the weather cooperates for this weeks practice so I can stop crashing the local tennis court for practice.
Some tips when building the XI
A light coat of SF-3 or GREEN SLIME (same thing) will keep your diffs sealed.

Drill small holes in your shock caps for a rebound free shock.

Again SF-3 on the shock seals.

Pre-thread the droop screws with a M3 socket head screw ... the 1.5mm are easy to strip

Soak bearings and shafts in grease and wax remover overnight, then just a drop of light oil is all u need.

Tighten the axle shaft joints, I found them not very tight. *** use Blue Lock Tite ***

Set the belt tensioner front and rear to one more down then manual recommends
RLS and triguy1975 like this.

Last edited by moparSRT; 05-25-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM
Tech Adept

All good tips there mopar.. You just keep getting more and more pink. I need to invest in some green slim for the future. I might aslo snag your idea for the drop screws. To be honest I didn't know they were for when installing them. Now I do. My shocks and diffs are holding nicely now. I put in a good solid hr on the local courts last night. My replacement Savox servo took car of my trim issues for the most part. I may try a slightly stiffer spring to tighten it up a bit on mine for USGT.

Have you put yours on a setup board or anything. I've bounced mine into the fence a couple times at the courts so I'm sure mine could use some fine tuning. I will say my driving is improving.

I have Yeah Racing alignment setup. I just gotta break it out and use it. I did the lift each corner by the body post thing to tune in my shock adjustments, but and to fine tune my ride height, but that was it.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

All good tips there mopar.. You just keep getting more and more pink. I need to invest in some green slim for the future. I might aslo snag your idea for the drop screws. To be honest I didn't know they were for when installing them. Now I do. My shocks and diffs are holding nicely now. I put in a good solid hr on the local courts last night. My replacement Savox servo took car of my trim issues for the most part. I may try a slightly stiffer spring to tighten it up a bit on mine for USGT.

Have you put yours on a setup board or anything. I've bounced mine into the fence a couple times at the courts so I'm sure mine could use some fine tuning. I will say my driving is improving.

I have Yeah Racing alignment setup. I just gotta break it out and use it. I did the lift each corner by the body post thing to tune in my shock adjustments, but and to fine tune my ride height, but that was it.
https://www.noleenj6.com/noleen-greases

will last you a life time, put some in a little syringe to make application easy

Yep, on the setup board after a hit
Old 05-03-2018, 11:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

SF3 is awesome stuff.

I also recommend picking up an actual thread forming tap to deal with those m3 threaded plastic bits. They're $7-12, and once chucked up in a drill, make every m3 hole a joy to deal with. Sure, a steel screw will do the job, but what's your time worth? I believe, it saved me an hour on my latest build.
Old 05-04-2018, 10:43 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Nerobro
SF3 is awesome stuff.

I also recommend picking up an actual thread forming tap to deal with those m3 threaded plastic bits. They're $7-12, and once chucked up in a drill, make every m3 hole a joy to deal with. Sure, a steel screw will do the job, but what's your time worth? I believe, it saved me an hour on my latest build.
In hard graphite type plastic maybe, but not in the normal nylon stuff, a tap cuts material out not leaving you a whole lot to hold the thread ... super easy to strip out.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:57 AM
Tech Adept

Ok... I had we had a practice day at the local track. Had one thing break. I installed the stock universals in there. WIthin the first run one threw a pin was trashed. Swapped out to the SKS shafts and all was good. I ran a number of practice sessions with the stock shafts and they were not a problem, but on the track they didn't last long. I also found I forgot the set screws to hold the knuckle pins in place. They moved around a bit, but were captured by the wheels so they couldn't drop out all the way.

Concerning the YeahRacing Shocks and springs. I'm not in love with springs quit yet. I ran the softest springs in the kit (high damper setup in the shock and zero rebound) and the chassis was hitting the ground a good amount. I've changed out to a bit stiffer spring, but it is still taking me all the screw collar travel to get 4-5 mm ride height. I may give the stock springs a a go on the YR shocks. The stock springs appear to be a bit longer so hopefully can get a little more adjust ability. Overall I'm happy with the chassis. Even with my setup learning and driving learning the car handles very well.

One other learning for me is gearing. I may go with the suggestion and switch back to a 48 pitch setup. I was having a bit of of an issue with dirt on both cars with the 64 pitch setup. For the weekend I'm going to just bring a brush and thoroughly clean after every run to avoid issues, but I think long term I'll have better durability with 48 pitch where I run.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:08 AM
Tech Master

Ok... I had we had a practice day at the local track. Had one thing break. I installed the stock universals in there. WIthin the first run one threw a pin ....
Originally Posted by moparSRT
Some tips when building the XI...

Tighten the axle shaft joints, I found them not very tight.
lol
Old 05-07-2018, 07:38 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by moparSRT
lol
Yup.. you know I saw your post and thought, "I should do that" then forgot. Hahah. It's all good. Gave me a reason to install the upgraded ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.