Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree344Likes

3 Racing Sakura XI Sport

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hi all... is the Sakura Advance a good kit to get? It's a bit spendy but I want to know if it's worth it. Also, will the Reflex Racing aluminum chassis fit the Advance? Thanks!
Old 11-20-2016, 12:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by FloridaST
Hi all... is the Sakura Advance a good kit to get? It's a bit spendy but I want to know if it's worth it. Also, will the Reflex Racing aluminum chassis fit the Advance? Thanks!
The Advance is not spendy for what you get. I have the Sakura Ultimate 2014, which is nearly the same. I love it. If you are new to the hobby you should look what others drive. Because otherwise you might be the only one with a sakura and others cant help as much.
The aluminium Chassis is for the xi Sport and does not fit.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Agreed. The advance is not very expensive, compared to other kits on the market.

The xi sport is just about the cheapest racing platform out there.

Are you looking for a touring car to race? I ask because rocks and leaves don't like racing vehicles all that much.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Hello everyone, after assembling the car, I have verified that the ground clearance is 9mm and the shock absorbers are at the top. It is impossible to lower it further.
I have read all posts in the thread, but no one seems to have found the solution. Is it possible that the springs are too high?
The rear downstop is at 5mm and the front at 4mm

Someone has the solution to this ?, shorter springs maybe?
Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Are you using the stock springs? Is that in race form? Ie battery installed and all electronics?

I havent built mine yet since i havent been home im a month but its waiting for me. I'll be building it this weekend.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dguerrero
Hello everyone, after assembling the car, I have verified that the ground clearance is 9mm and the shock absorbers are at the top. It is impossible to lower it further.
I have read all posts in the thread, but no one seems to have found the solution. Is it possible that the springs are too high?

You can't get down to 5mm ride height on the stock shocks without internal limiting or shorter springs. I originally used the droop screws to physically limit my ride height down to 5mm before I bought the shorter springs.

This list looks weird but the harder springs have less coils. Softer have more coils.
SAK49/21425 4.25 coils HARDEST
SAK49/21450 4.50
SAK49/21475 4.75
SAK49/21500 5.00
SAK49/21525 5.25
SAK49/21550 5.50
SAK49/21575 5.75
SAK49/21600 6.00
SAK49/21650 6.50 coils SOFTEST
Old 01-09-2017, 01:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Rysuleod
You can't get down to 5mm ride height on the stock shocks without internal limiting or shorter springs. I originally used the droop screws to physically limit my ride height down to 5mm before I bought the shorter springs.

This list looks weird but the harder springs have less coils. Softer have more coils.
SAK49/21425 4.25 coils HARDEST
SAK49/21450 4.50
SAK49/21475 4.75
SAK49/21500 5.00
SAK49/21525 5.25
SAK49/21550 5.50
SAK49/21575 5.75
SAK49/21600 6.00
SAK49/21650 6.50 coils SOFTEST
Thanks, the other day I tried with old ride (red) spring I had from my old Tamiya. The length is 25mm, and, as you said, this is the problem with stock spring. Summing up, to get 5mm or less you need 25mm lenght spring

I´m going to look for a soft spring like "old" hpi blue that I had

Regards
David
Old 01-09-2017, 01:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi again, someone knows a compatible spur for sakura xi sport?,I´m looking for a different 3racing brand because this kind of spur, in my opinion, are so expensive.

Are Yeah racing spur compatible with this model?

Regards
Old 01-09-2017, 02:44 AM
Tech Adept

You must have something wrong, I can get below 3 mm with the stock shocks and springs. Some things to check:
- shock bottoms properly screwed on the shaft?
- outer hole on the arms used?
- spring retainer properly seated?

Or check your tires, I am using Sweeps, maybe yours are just too big.

There is also this optional spring retainer available that has -1mm offset:
http://os.3racing.hk/products.php?products_key=4593
Old 01-09-2017, 09:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Well you aren't wrong the car is whack out of the box with a 10mm ride height.

What to do:

Get SAK-U417
Get SAK-U418

If that doesn't work by dropping the car 3.5mm then you have some work to do by shimming the inside. I took some nitro fuel tube (OD smaller than ID of shock body but ID bigger than shock shaft size). Put the fuel hose between the shock piston and the bottom of the shock inside the shock. This makes your shocks shorter and will lower the car. May need 4mm-7mm of shim in there to get it if you don't fix it with the graphite towers. Even with the graphite towers you may still need to shim, I have my towers on the way but haven't gotten them in yet.

You want your car to have the ride height set to 5mm front/~5.5mm rear without using any droop settings or screws. If you droop your car into the ride height you need its going to handle very oddly. (I did this last week).

But essentially you can drop it to 5mm for almost free if you shim it. But the towers are a decent $30 upgrade and should drop the car. Also if you have an XI sport and the steering rack is black plastic, order an aluminium steering rack ASAP because my stock rack snapped in about 5 minutes. You hit the wall once and its done. Kind of sucks because there's not much stock around for the steering rack either. I also have some Zero S short springs on the way (5.25/6 coil) You want about .5-1 coil offset using the harder spring in the front of the car as this helps with the handling. You need your front shocks to be sufficiently stiff as you load your steering on turn in.
Old 01-09-2017, 09:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hi again, someone knows a compatible spur for sakura xi sport?,I´m looking for a different 3racing brand because this kind of spur, in my opinion, are so expensive.

Are Yeah racing spur compatible with this model?

Regards
I found the stock 48p spur that came with it was very wonky and low quality. Highly recommend upgrading to 64 pitch spur and 64 pitch pinion. If you are running 17.5 or 21.5 a 96spur/50pinion will start you off nicely. Do not follow the manuals 23 tooth 48p spur with the stock spur recommendation. It will be horribly undergeared. Kimbrough spur gears do fit the mount nicely.
Old 01-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

66T 48P Team Associated fits nicely.
Old 01-10-2017, 01:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GageR
Well you aren't wrong the car is whack out of the box with a 10mm ride height.

What to do:

Get SAK-U417
Get SAK-U418

If that doesn't work by dropping the car 3.5mm then you have some work to do by shimming the inside. I took some nitro fuel tube (OD smaller than ID of shock body but ID bigger than shock shaft size). Put the fuel hose between the shock piston and the bottom of the shock inside the shock. This makes your shocks shorter and will lower the car. May need 4mm-7mm of shim in there to get it if you don't fix it with the graphite towers. Even with the graphite towers you may still need to shim, I have my towers on the way but haven't gotten them in yet.

You want your car to have the ride height set to 5mm front/~5.5mm rear without using any droop settings or screws. If you droop your car into the ride height you need its going to handle very oddly. (I did this last week).

But essentially you can drop it to 5mm for almost free if you shim it. But the towers are a decent $30 upgrade and should drop the car. Also if you have an XI sport and the steering rack is black plastic, order an aluminium steering rack ASAP because my stock rack snapped in about 5 minutes. You hit the wall once and its done. Kind of sucks because there's not much stock around for the steering rack either. I also have some Zero S short springs on the way (5.25/6 coil) You want about .5-1 coil offset using the harder spring in the front of the car as this helps with the handling. You need your front shocks to be sufficiently stiff as you load your steering on turn in.
Thanks GageR, I solved the problem with a pair of old HPI spring I had, 25mm height, with then, I got 5mm and 5,5mm with volante or ride wheels I mean the perfect measure os springs will be 21mm.

I take note of everything you say.

Regards
Old 01-10-2017, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by GageR
I found the stock 48p spur that came with it was very wonky and low quality. Highly recommend upgrading to 64 pitch spur and 64 pitch pinion. If you are running 17.5 or 21.5 a 96spur/50pinion will start you off nicely. Do not follow the manuals 23 tooth 48p spur with the stock spur recommendation. It will be horribly undergeared. Kimbrough spur gears do fit the mount nicely.
Sure, I use 64p in my yokomo always, I´ve just bought yeah racing spur and I hope they will be compatible

yeah-racing-gr64096-superprecise-spur-gear-p-17369.html?cPath=1293_1308

and 48p pinion, to get 4 ratio. I´ll mount 17.5T engine

Regards
Old 01-10-2017, 11:58 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks GageR, I solved the problem with a pair of old HPI spring I had, 25mm height, with then, I got 5mm and 5,5mm with volante or ride wheels I mean the perfect measure os springs will be 21mm.

I take note of everything you say.

Regards
Yeah the kit springs seem like they are taller than the freaking shock. Since the shock needs so much compression with those stock FRP towers mounting position I think if you use the kit springs it will raise the car up to around 8 or 9mm ride height. I could see short springs taking care of this as the spring would not be able to push the top of the shock up more. The kit springs just seem like a nightmare. I have some old VBC TBB short shocks maybe that will help with the ride height.

If you have an XI Sport get different springs and an aluminium steering rack, almost mandatory out of the box upgrades it seems for club racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.