non-roar bodies faster than roar?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

non-roar bodies faster than roar?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 01:33 PM
Tech Addict

Default non-roar bodies faster than roar?

It seems if given a free hand to design a racing body, the wedge shaped bodys are the best aero-dynamically (the nitro 1/8 on-road style bodys) this also seems to be the design of choice for full size cars.

Regular ROAR approved bodie's fronts and windshields seem to push a lot of air.
Also it given a choice designers prefer a spoiler (up curving rear end) over a wing.

HPI makes a couple GT style bodies, Saleen and a Toyota,
are these bodies faster on large asphalt out door tracks because of the lower air resistence of their front ends and windshields?
Old 05-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The most efficient and aerodynamically correct body shape for a closed-wheel racing car is a Can AM / Lola / GTP / LMP style body.

Wide, low, and shaped to maximize downforce and minimize frontal area / drag.

A sedan shape is not optimal for a race car. However TC's are sedans therefore they have to work within that class of vehicle.

If you were to find a nice LMP style body and it fit your touring car, with all things being the same it should be able to go faster through turns and "plant" the car far better than a sedan body. Of course you would still have to optimize wing area, mounting angle, front lip depth, etc.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Tech Elite

One thing to consider; the wings on the ROAR legal bodies are cut down substantially, if they were to be kept higher, they would give greater downforce. Other than that, the Can Am/Lola bodies are good, but they aren't sedans. People have tried to use the Saleen, especially on nitro when running at club level, but I haven't heard that much to comment on. I have heard the truck bodies actually work pretty good, but that's not speaking from personal experience.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
Tech Elite

Saleen is the fastest EP body I've tried. The car was stuck, and more fluid through the turns. It's only legal for some club racing, nothing serious. If your going to go to big races, then just run a sedan body, so you won't have something new to experiment with when you go to a new track.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:08 PM
Tech Rookie

One thing to remember is that sedans are designed and developed for sedan bodies, not wedges/lolas etc, so sedan bodies probably work the best. The right body depends a lot on the racing conditions as well. For outdoor asphalt there are some good bodies from Japan (Yokomo, Ride, etc) that might not be ROAR legal. Personally, on rubber tires I really like the Ride TSX, though I don't know whether its ROAR legal yet.
Old 05-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Tech Regular

cliff Le used an Associated Jaguar Lemans Prototype on his speed runs.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LX2710&P=7