R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Nimble Motorsports

Here is a thread for discussion of Nimble Motorsports developments and products.

Our TwoLane charger has been released,
I hope y'all have had a chance to take a look at it.

We have a new 2.4Ghz radio system that is going to be released soon. For a sneak peak at the "micro" controller and the "micro" sized receiver that goes with a microwave system, take a look!

My biggest concern at the moment is that the range of 100-150ft is not sufficient.
Are there outdoor tracks that require a distance farther than this?
nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:55 PM   #2
Tech Apprentice

Nimble;
I am fairly sure that there are indoor tracks bigger than that.
Jim D
ukeejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 12:57 PM   #3
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to Boomer Send a message via AIM to Boomer

I'm not sure, but I think that Revelation would push that distance. From the far end of the drivers' stand to the opposite end of the straight would be close to 125-150' I think. . .

Is that tiny board your receiver? It looks smaller than most anything other than that tiny (TEENY) Novak thing. . .

How long will your antenna be? (on the receiver I mean. . .)
Old 02-23-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Dude, that controller....
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 01:10 PM   #5
Tech Adept

The tiny board is the receiver. It could be even smaller still, but to have the connector pins for 4 outputs, and 3 inputs requires the board to be about that size. The antenna is a wire about 2.5 inches. Earlier version had the antenna on the circuit board, but that made the receiver larger and reduced the range.

Not having the big antenna flapping around in your car is actually a performance improvement over the 75Mhz system. It should make it faster (less wind resistance), and make it handle better (weight of antenna winging around, especially when using those caps on the tube to keep the wire from breaking).
Old 02-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Is that you Birdman ?
Is that a barf icon
If so can you be more specific. The pistol grip is actually more like a real pistol, say a .45.
Old 02-23-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Tech Elite

The Icon is representative of "Hondo" crapping on my shoulder. HAHAHA. (Anybody who knows birdman should know what I mean...)

Just a Team Driver

No offense, but it looks like a slot car controller with yellow electrical tape all over it.

I'm sure production will look much nicer.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:05 PM   #8
Tech Adept

yeah the tape does look crappy. This is grip tape, as used on a tennis racket.
I have considered a velcro attached pad like the XS3, it would fit the shape better than tape.

yeah, more like a slot-car controller with steering, than a hand-help computer display with steering and a trigger
I know people love their M8, when I use them it feels like Stallon's machine gun and not a pistol. People adapt.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:34 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Oh crap, I didn't even realize that was the steering wheel! My bad.

LMAO!!!!!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:24 PM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No Offence ,but Im pretty sure I'd rather glitch than run that pistol...... And It is nice to have no antenna on the outside of your car (like spektrum) but to say it's less wind resistance and a performance advantage because of a little plastic antenna protruding from a car........Please

1/10 Scale: Associated B-5(rear motor)...Tekin RSX Gen-2 W/8.5t... Savox SC-1258-TG Servo
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: Nimble Motorsports

Quote:
Originally posted by nimble
Here is a thread for discussion of Nimble Motorsports developments and products.

Our TwoLane charger has been released,
I hope y'all have had a chance to take a look at it.

We have a new 2.4Ghz radio system that is going to be released soon. For a sneak peak at the "micro" controller and the "micro" sized receiver that goes with a microwave system, take a look!

My biggest concern at the moment is that the range of 100-150ft is not sufficient.
Are there outdoor tracks that require a distance farther than this?
You should have a range of at LEAST 700' to be a viable R/C system.

150' is not very impressive in my opinion.

-Me
Soviet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:56 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Soviet, how did you come up with 700 ft as a requirement?
You can't control a car you can't see clearly right? Do you run 1/5 scale?
The Futaba system I started with has pretty much the same 150ft range.

Joe, I'm not offended, I'm interested in all opinions, what specifically is your objection, the crappy tape?
OK, I will take a nice picture of a shiny new one!

I've had suggestions to make it out of Carbon Fiber. It would add significant expense, is it worth it?
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 AM   #13
R/C Tech Founder
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

For mass production, I think your best bet may be to contact an existing radio manufacturer or supplier to see if you can get OEM shells from an existing design. Your technology sounds very promising but I think that the majority of racers will balk at something that looks so different from what they are used to. That, at least, has been my experience.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:44 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default my .02

nimble - read your posts on the spektrum thread, sounds like it has great potential (i think said 4x faster response, less potential for failure, etc). hope it makes it to production.

as for the antenna, anyone who doesn't think a 10" plastic whip floating around on a 3lb vehicle at speed doesn't have a noticeable impact should pinch the antenna tube at one and between their fingers and start rotating their hand around. you have to remember the weight of the antenna is leveraged by the fact it is only being held at one end. as for wind resistance, if it didn't matter, then oval guys would not be running them inside their shells on small-medium sized tracks.

lastly, as for the radio. i'll admit it, i'm shallow. i like bling. i want a cray computer with 320x168 lcd screen in my hands while i'm driving. if it's got a speaker that can play mp3's and tell me my lap times while i'm at it, even better. 'pretty' is important to me, i want a radio that looks like "i spent more money on this controller than some third world nations GDP", not one that says "made by my 2nd grade nephew" (not that yours looks like that, just making a reference).
gee-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:46 PM   #15
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to yodaopie

I dunno I kinda dig the little thing... then again I have pretty small hands so I think it would be great. Plus the technology sounds exciting however I think the range is still about half what is gonna be necesary for cars gotta remeber cruising up and down the block these little things cover distence pretty fast.
yodaopie is offline   Reply With Quote