Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/12 1/10.....

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Benedict
12th scale is as easy as taking candy from a baby....
You couldn't be more wrong. 4wd is easy.

When a sedan isn't setup, you can't turn. When a 12th scale isn't setup, it won't go straight. 12th scale is very picky because of the low weight and rwd.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:19 AM
Tech Elite

Agreed.
Old 05-10-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Apprentice

Opinions may be different....

I've raced 12th scale for almost 7 years now and you've hardly got any set-up to do to make your 12th scale go superb .... in comparison with 10th scale, I find it a lot easier to get it right and go flat out for 8 mins...
But that's maybe I've started with 12th scale from the very beginning.....

(PS if your 12th scale won't go straight because it's not "set-up", just put on different tires... Oh! ...and be gentle on the throttle, then everything will work out fine )
Old 05-10-2005, 11:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by academygaz
10th is more popular because a 12th can't take the same level of punishment a 10th can. Thus, 10th is great for beginners, and is the class many people stick with.

Plus, there's more 10th choice in chassis.
What do you mean by punishment?If you mean bumps and cracks in pavement etc. I agree, but if you mean accident damage, no way.

I've seen 12th scale cars shrug off hits that would leave nearly any competitive touring car spewing front end parts all over the track.

12th scale is easier to set-up for drivability, but maximizing your set-up for the absolute best laptimes is more difficult than with a TC. Each change has a far more pronounced effect than the same change would on a big heavy TC, and balancing those effects is where the fine art of 12th scale set-up comes into play.
Old 05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
Tech Master

I love 12th scale. Its a shame its not as popular. The car is so much easier to work on and drive. Sure you have to be more precise and take your time when working on them but they are a blast! Hardly any setup work (my weak point) Its almost all driver (you have to have half decent motor & GP3300 minimum though)
Old 05-11-2005, 12:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

12th scale is easier to set-up for drivability, but maximizing your set-up for the absolute best laptimes is more difficult than with a TC. Each change has a far more pronounced effect than the same change would on a big heavy TC, and balancing those effects is where the fine art of 12th scale set-up comes into play.
please elaborate? would really appreciate it....
Old 05-11-2005, 12:35 AM
Tech Regular

12th scale in hands of a good driver is defenitely faster than touring, cornering speeds are higher acceleration is faster, you name it...
so, for beginners, 1/12 is slower an more prone to crashes and driver error?
Old 05-11-2005, 12:38 AM
Tech Regular

so what are the fastest 1/12 scale out there....am really intereste. by the way, can 1/12 run on concrete....traction is less than asphalt but we try to give it more bite by spraying it with molasses.....
Old 05-11-2005, 06:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by CypressMidWest
What do you mean by punishment?If you mean bumps and cracks in pavement etc. I agree, but if you mean accident damage, no way.

I've seen 12th scale cars shrug off hits that would leave nearly any competitive touring car spewing front end parts all over the track.

I mean punishment as in, accidents, hitting track markers etc.

I have tried 12th (with an L3), and it was a long way harder to drive than a touring car.

Maybe it was just me, or the way I drive, but it was harder for me to be consistant without hitting things. And when I did hit something, the chassis delaminated. But that was my fault for not sealing it.

Pics of my old one: http://gazdesigns.fpic.co.uk/c335413.html
Old 05-11-2005, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

so what are the fastest 1/12 scale out there
Cars aren't fast, drivers are.

so, for beginners, 1/12 is slower an more prone to crashes and driver error?
yes. I wouldn't recommend 12th scale for newer drivers or the mechanically challenged.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by academygaz
10th is more popular because a 12th can't take the same level of punishment a 10th can. Thus, 10th is great for beginners, and is the class many people stick with.

Plus, there's more 10th choice in chassis.
Incorrect. 1/12th scales are extremely durable.

I got sick of 10th touring mid last year, having to adjust my car after every run(foam/ozite) is very time consuming. It got to the point where I wasn't relaxing at the track since it was "go go go all the time". When you have to think "do I want to go to the track?" you know it's time for a change. I got a 12th scale in january and it brought the fun back into the hobby for me, I've since given away my old TC. 12th scales require very little work once you have them dailed-in, adjust ride height once a day, tweek it before each run and apply compound. That's it. 2 minutes of work before each run. I've now got lots of time to sit around, relax and talk smack. If you can setup a TC you can setup a 12th scale. I won't be going back to TC for a long time.

As far as hard to drive, the main thing that I see is newbies chunking tires. That is going to happen if you start in 12th scale. Don't give-up, you will get better and once you can drive a 12th scale, driving a TC will be very easy.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by jedi
please elaborate? would really appreciate it....
A 12th scale car is very simple, as long as it was assembled properly, it will go straight, and as long as you have decent tires it will drive well, it may push, or it may oversteer slightly, but generally a manufacturer's kit set-up will be very smooth and easy to drive. Unfortuantely smooth and easy to drive doesn't always correlate to maximum cornerspeed. This is where the fine art of set-up becomes important. God is in the details. A very minor dampening change in the shock or tubes/pucks can totally change the behavior of the car. The trick is to find the proper balance. Changes made to Touring Car set-ups seem to affect the overall feel of the car less, i.e. you have to make a more substantial change to the camber/caster to get the same pronounced effect you would on a 12th scaler.

It's all just trial and error though, and 12th scale will teach you things about racing lines and driving that no other class can.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I totally agree..........
Old 05-11-2005, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by 1fastdude
I totally agree..........
Wow, we actually agreed?
Old 05-11-2005, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

UH what was that first thing again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.