Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Foam vs Rubber Tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by RC Driver Gary
The biggest thing is that the Foam/Rubber arguement is like talking politics. If someone is on one side, it's next to impossible to bring them over to your side. I don't like foam, I hate it, I think it makes for crap racing...Do I expect to change anyones point of view? Not really.
That is true where i race (mostly indoor carpet) we use foams and thats what im use to and im sure you race all outdoor rubber tire. im going to try rubber this summer
Old 04-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Nope, I run indoor carpet most of the year...
Old 04-29-2005, 02:21 PM
Tech Regular

do you have a rubber tire carpet class?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Tech Champion

That's all that's being run right now actually, foam has died here because people have gotten priced out of it.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

How long do rubbers last on carpet?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Mal
Chad,

that would actually push me toward leaving the hobby. Not sure if I would actually quit on the spot though.

Also, didn't people run the 2002 indoor nats on rubber tires? I didn't see people having problems with a lack of grip in that race. Even the mod drivers seems like they had ample traction.
That would be sad if you quit racing because of tires. The 2002 nats, non of the mod drivers I talked to liked the traction level with the tires but it was handout tires so they made the best of it. This tire debate comes up a couple of times a year and there are pationate opinions on both sides. For me I spend about the same money on tires on foam as I did when i ran rubber. With foam I spend about 1/4 the time preping tires and I feel my testing time is more productive as I know the tire is not degrading and affecting the handling. But I will race and have fun on whatever tire is required.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Depends how agressive you want to be on your setup. The guys running at the top of the feild right now...I'd say 4-6 weeks. One of the local was getting 40-50 runs out of his tires and he'd still be a top 5 car every week. He simply adjusted his setup as the tires wore to maintain his laptimes. Now I have gone so agressive on my setups that 4-5 runs and they're toast, but I did that deliberately to get as much speed out of the car as possible. I'd say average is easy 4-6 weeks though.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

well that beats foam im gona try to start a rubber class now.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:29 PM
Tech Regular

That's all that's being run right now actually, foam has died here because people have gotten priced out of it.
That is interesting around here stock and 19t race on rubber mod on foam. At our track a number of the 19t racers are switching to mod because they are tired of dealing with the rubber tires. There switch is also driven by $$ because for the last couple 2 day races the were buying 2-3 sets of rubbers to keep the car consistant and saw that I would run the same foam set all weekend.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:30 PM
Tech Champion

Larry's used to have a great rubber class. In fact he used to host a TCS regional for years. But one person started talking in his ears that foam was better for everyone, and got that changed. Talk to Chris Warren about it, he knows more details than I do
Old 04-29-2005, 02:32 PM
Tech Regular

I know Chris he is a great guy. where do you run at?
Old 04-29-2005, 02:33 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by ChadK
That is interesting around here stock and 19t race on rubber mod on foam. At our track a number of the 19t racers are switching to mod because they are tired of dealing with the rubber tires. There switch is also driven by $$ because for the last couple 2 day races the were buying 2-3 sets of rubbers to keep the car consistant and saw that I would run the same foam set all weekend.
I can understand that for a larger race. I do the same thing. We ran a 5 race series up here this past winter. I ran a new set of tires for the last round of qualifyig and the mains at each race because there was a competitive advantage and the cost vs gain factor was there...for ME. The person who finished 3rd in the series ran 2 sets of tires over all 5 races, and also ran those tires during the weekly club races too.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:35 PM
Tech Champion

Well, I don't know if I would classify him as a "Great" guy, but he's ok...At least he's not as bad a Palmer

I race at Trackside.
Old 04-29-2005, 02:36 PM
Tech Regular

Well, I don't know if I would classify him as a "Great" guy, but he's ok...At least he's not as bad a Palmer

I race at Trackside.
Old 04-29-2005, 03:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by JKA
Why? Its a TC afterall. What inherent difference makes it okay for nitro to run foam but not okay for electric?

Reasons nitro should run foams and electric run rubber on asphalt:

Nitro:
-Rubber tires are made to have heat cycles that last 5-8 minutes. This is when the rubber heats up and gives good traction. When the race is over, the tire is allowed to cool down and the molecules regain their tight structure. If a tire is pushed to hard, the tire will overheat, and start to "feather" and lines will form across the contact patch.
-Longer mains which will shred up rubber tires due to the intense heat cycle that last 45 minutes.
-A nitro heat usually last 8 minutes. 3 minutes of warm-up and 5 minutes of racing.
-Nitro cars need the traction that rubber tires create due to the high (for their scale) g-forces since they weight so much.
-A foam tire is the same tire from the first run, to the next to last run. So as the tire experiences the 9 heat cycles during the main, it will not change the setup as drastically as a rubber tire would. Only change would be the castor and roll-center.

Electric:
-Most of the world runs rubber tires.
-More realistic.
-Cheaper for the average track.
-Tires only experience one heat cycle per race.
-Electric cars are lighter so they don't need the foam traction.
-Foams will chunk
-Rubber tires will not chunk.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.