Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1131Likes

Tamiya TT02 Thread

Hide Wikipost
Old 01-14-2021, 03:44 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Tamiya TT02 Thread
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: pparrett
TT02 Wiki - Post your setups, upgrades and home grown ideas here for us to read...

TT02 vs the TT-01
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/01/ta...irst-pics.html
New flat chassis layout - Easier to run LiPOs vs the cutouts in the TT-01s
Revised suspension geometry
Support for std spur gears

MODELS ----------------------------------------------------

Changes that follow are in comparison to the basic kit.
TT02 - Base Kit. Friction Dampers.
TT02D - Drift: Drift Tires, Hardened A-Parts, Oil Shocks
TT02R - Race: Rear Alu 3* Toe In Hubs, Alu Propshaft + Cups, CVA oil Dampers
TT02RR - Race+: TT02R + Adjustable Upper Arms, Oil Filled Diffs, Hardened Blue Chassis
TT02S - Type S: TRF416 arms, FRP shock towers, bearings,
TT02SR - TypeS Race: TT02S + Double cardan front drive shafts, rear lightweight universals, Rear sealed oil differential, front spool
TT02B - Buggy. Offroad: CVA Shocks, Double Wishbone long suspension

HOP UPS ----------------------------------------------------

Bearings:
#54476 Ball Bearing Set TT02: 8x 1050, 4x 1280, 4x 1150

Propshaft:
#54501 Alum Propeller Shaft TT02
#54502 Alum Propeller Joint TT02
Tip:
Put a 3mm piece of well greased silicone hose between the dog bone and the shaft of each wheel to reduce slop.

Motor Mount and Gearing:
#54558 TT02 Aluminum Motor Mount
#54500 High Speed Gear Set
#54875 Oil Gear Differential

Steering:
#54550 Low Friction Step Screws
- Full Upgrade Kit -
#54752 Steering Upgrade Kit, Includes all below.
- Individual Parts -
#54574 Aluminum Steering Set
#54575 Aluminum Steering Bridge
#54799 Hi-Torque Servo Saver or #51000 Servo Saver Black
#54248 Aluminum Turnbuckles 3x23
#50797 5mm Short Adjustable Turnbuckle End

Dog Bones to Universal Joints:
- Standard Steel -
#53792 Universal Shaft Assembly (steel), NOTE: Must also use item 54477 on the TT-02
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (steel) (2pieces)
- Lightweight -
#53506 Blue Aluminum 39mm Swing Shaft
#53499 Wheel axle for assembly universal
#53681 Titanium wheel axle for assemblu universal (but this is very expensive)
#53500 cross joints for universal
#54477 Gearbox Joint for Universal Shaft (2pieces)
Tip: Run steel in the front, Alu is okay for the rear but the front takes a lot of wear and impact from crashes

Shock Options:
#54753 Super-mini CVA Oil Shocks, comes with med black springs
#42102 TRF 55mm Shocks

Chassis:
#54639 Carbon Damper Stay Front
#54640 Carbon Damper Stay Rear
#47339 Hard Lower Deck Blue
#47340 Hard Lower Deck White
#54926 Hard Lower Deck Black
#54733 Aluminum Rear Uprights, Gives 3* rear toe in for extra stability
#54549 Aluminum Rear Uprights, 2.5* Rear Toe In
#58584 Hardened A-Parts, Uprights, Hub Carriers, Diff Covers, etc

SUGGESTED BASE SETUPS ----------------------------------

Bashing:
Build to the kit instructions and have fun!

Asphalt Parking Lot Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 3K oil in the rear diff for low / medium grip, 5k oil in the rear for medium / high grip

Carpet Indoor Racing:
Front Diff: 300k-500k (or Tamiya #42247 Gear differential putty)
Rear Diff: 7k -10k in the rear diff for very high grip carpet.

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES -------------------------------------

TT02 Build and Review here
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/05/ta...nd-review.html

TT02 Tuning and Mods Guide
http://www.thercracer.com/2014/08/ta...-and-tips.html
https://www.rcdriver.com/take-the-versatile-tamiya-tt-02-chassis-to-the-next-level/

Gearing for 17.5t Blinky
http://www.thercracer.com/2013/07/ho...inky-with.html

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Tech Rookie

hey guys, ive had my tt-02 for about a year and only recently started getting into rc drifting, these are the upgrades i got, 3900kv duratrax element esc combo, carisma remote & recevier, stock servo?, aluminum dampers, aluminum prop shaft n joints. i just locked up the rear diff and was thinking about locking up the front? or should i just go with a front one-way?. also im going to pick up the high speed gear set and aluminum knuckles since ive been threw 4sets, but i cant understand the gears/ratios. any advice is apprecitated!
Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Get a front one way it makes the drifting so much nicer cause it acts like a handbrake when you drop the throttle and kicks the rear out for you. Leave the gearing standard if you want because with the motor you've got and with the way drifting goes then it wont matter, mine drifts OK with just the front locked up and ive got a 6000kv 5.5t motor with standard gearing and speed is NOT neccessary as i barely ever go past half throttle. So yeah nice upgrades man if you get serious about drifting then definately get a one way for the front.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:43 PM
Tech Rookie

thx for the info but i think i am going to leave the front open as i dont belive handbrake should even exist in drifiting,also i think im mostly going to be drifting in the winter time as my local rc track is only open in winter, and doing speed runs against my buddys 3.3 jato in the summer, i did happen to pick up the high speed gear set and now understand the ratios a bit more. running a 68 spur with a 22t pinion, next is a spektrum remote/receiver cause i want to go bigger motor for racing the jato. plan on seeing how my motor/ratios compare to his jato before i go bigger tho. cause your right, extreme power is not nessacary for drifting.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Does anyone know if he Front Uprights on the TT01 and TT02 are the same? I broke one of the front uprights on my TT02 and I can't find the replacement part 51527 nearby. The only one I can find is the A parts for the TT01.
Old 02-09-2014, 11:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by visuvius
Does anyone know if he Front Uprights on the TT01 and TT02 are the same? I broke one of the front uprights on my TT02 and I can't find the replacement part 51527 nearby. The only one I can find is the A parts for the TT01.
They are not the same, but i thought you are able to mount them with some modifications.
But don't know what kind of modifications they are.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

The TT02 might be my favorite race package RTR(as far as GT Spec is concerned)

So, I blogged it:

http://onthetone.blogspot.com/2014/0...lism-talk.html
Old 02-09-2014, 04:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Has anyone used HPI Vintage wheels on their TT02?
Does Tamiya use offset in their rims?
Old 02-09-2014, 10:47 PM
RRC
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by visuvius

@visuvius: The TT01 Front Uprights will fit without modification. You also need the plastic part where the screw seats from the TT01 (see attached pic). Just check the ride height because it will be high. Use spacers inside the shocks to limit down travel.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TT02 Thread-upright.jpg  
Old 02-09-2014, 11:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RRC
@visuvius: The TT01 Front Uprights will fit without modification. You also need the plastic part where the screw seats from the TT01 (see attached pic). Just check the ride height because it will be high. Use spacers inside the shocks to limit down travel.
Thanks for this. When I was looking at the parts pictures on Tamiya's USA website they didn't look the same but I'll go ahead and try the TT01 version if I can't find 51527.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi,

I just finished my TT-02 Lancia Delta and mounted a Neon Combo 17T.

What gearing to you recommand, knowing that my spur gear is the tamiya 64t hop-up?

Thx in advance.
Old 02-15-2014, 12:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by hiightim3z
thx for the info but i think i am going to leave the front open as i dont belive handbrake should even exist in drifiting,also i think im mostly going to be drifting in the winter time as my local rc track is only open in winter, and doing speed runs against my buddys 3.3 jato in the summer, i did happen to pick up the high speed gear set and now understand the ratios a bit more. running a 68 spur with a 22t pinion, next is a spektrum remote/receiver cause i want to go bigger motor for racing the jato. plan on seeing how my motor/ratios compare to his jato before i go bigger tho. cause your right, extreme power is not nessacary for drifting.
"i dont belive handbrake should even exist in drifting" I'm sorry man but have you watched drifting before? Handbrake is essential and it looks absolutely awesome with rc cars.
Anyway with my experience you should at the very least lock the front diff otherwise you WILL spin out uncontrollably on low speed corners while drifting.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:21 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Jessalmighty
"i dont belive handbrake should even exist in drifting" I'm sorry man but have you watched drifting before? Handbrake is essential and it looks absolutely awesome with rc cars.
Anyway with my experience you should at the very least lock the front diff otherwise you WILL spin out uncontrollably on low speed corners while drifting.
i havent had any problems with an open diff and find it infact better, and for the dumb remark ^ yes i have watched drifting? yes they use a handbreak in pro cars with over 800rhp, have you ever been in a REAL STREET drifter? no hand break is needed but you do have to get that pendulum effect workin hard as fuck, also, as long as you can break that back end free and have tiny grip on the front you will transition perfectly fine,considering theres no high speed corners into a tight transition. unless your pro theres no need for handbreak. balls to the walls. get in a real car before you talk.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:29 PM
Tech Rookie

dude dude dude settle down I didn't mean to cause insult, in my experience WITH RC's, we're talking toys, the drift car (OTA-R31 clone) that I had, had a locked rear diff and a front one way, it was WAY better at drifting than my tt02 as it was much much much easier to transition between corners as well as kicking the rear out for you, acting like a handbrake. My tt02 without any diffs locked would spin out uncontrollably on low speed corners as the power would go to only one front wheel instead of both and it would really struggle to transition between corners. As you know about drifting you would understand that in drifting you need something to kick the rear out when you are going through tight, lower speed corners. I agree that you don't need a these things if you are drifting in a wide open space but if you are on a TRACK then it really does help. Here is a video I randomly found, enjoy the way he USES the handbrake to begin each drift.

/watch?v=3xJTYj5hVYE
Old 02-21-2014, 09:04 AM
Tech Master

I've been racing my TT02 to good effect racing at my club. I've designed a couple of parts to make it more adjustable. It's not quite as quick as my 418 but it is beating a lot of £300 cars at my local club
Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Qatmix
I've been racing my TT02 to good effect racing at my club. I've designed a couple of parts to make it more adjustable. It's not quite as quick as my 418 but it is beating a lot of £300 cars at my local club
Nice man can you take a couple of pictures of what you have done?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.