Wiki Posts
Search

2005 Reedy Race-3700's not allowed in Open Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by dmatter
I Will Make the Rules for The 2005 Reedy Race Of Champions..

Open Modified
Any Batteries That are Sold Over the Shelf for Atleast 1 Month Prior To the Event. 3700's 3300's ETC. Any Motor You Wish Must be Available to Everyone One Month Prior to the Event. Brushed/Brushless..

Invititational
See Above (Why Would anything Change?)

19T
Hand-Out Batteries and Motors. Absolutely No Sponsored Drivers Allowed. If you are Getting the good Stuff you need to Run With the Good Guys..

Rule of Thumb
Open Mod=Open Mod. If you want Rules and Regulations go Race Stock or 19T. If you Want to Go Fast Race Modified.
Smartest thing anyone has posted on this forum in a long time.

Technology is advancing faster than the beaurocratic rule makers can adapt so the trend is now to disregard established rules at big events.What is needed is a truly open prototype class.The rules could fit on one page-

The car needs to fit in this box(lenght,width,height)-
The car needs to weigh this much-
Maximum of 6 sub-C cell batteries-(and allow Li-Po's as soon as they're safe)
And nothing else!

Bad rules have kept the technology in the stone age for too long and now it's just busting out.Anyone that thinks you can make rules and "level the playing field" and "keep costs down" is fooling themselves.People will always maximize spending on the items that are restricted-whatever they are.It's called being competitve.The manufacturers (and privateers) need an outlet to be truly innovative anyway.We would all benefit from it.
Old 04-16-2005, 07:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 208 (100%+)

Originally posted by dmatter
I Will Make the Rules for The 2005 Reedy Race Of Champions..

Open Modified
Any Batteries That are Sold Over the Shelf for Atleast 1 Month Prior To the Event. 3700's 3300's ETC. Any Motor You Wish Must be Available to Everyone One Month Prior to the Event. Brushed/Brushless..

Invititational
See Above (Why Would anything Change?)

19T
Hand-Out Batteries and Motors. Absolutely No Sponsored Drivers Allowed. If you are Getting the good Stuff you need to Run With the Good Guys..

Rule of Thumb
Open Mod=Open Mod. If you want Rules and Regulations go Race Stock or 19T. If you Want to Go Fast Race Modified.

I like this. Mod is mod.
Old 04-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

exactly...
thats how i feel..
mod is mod...

its still the same size cell...
stuff as much juice in there as u want....

in mod u can run from a 6 to a 19 turn..
why would batteries be different..
u could run 3000's if u chose...
why cant u run higher????

i would like to see all the drivers at like the Mod Nats run a spec car...
make em all equal...
that would make it closer i think..

like motocross...
wouldnt u like to see all the supercross riders on a stock bike...make the non-factory boys have a chance...
Old 04-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Tech Regular

I'm kinda on the fence about this one. I think that the brushless systems are the future of our hobby. So I would like to see them advance and become available to everyone. However I think they should not bel allowed at this race. No one can go to their LHS and buy the systems that are being used that are competative. All the systems that are fast are one off's that are not available to the public. Nobody will be competative with an OTS NEO or 5800, and as far as I know these are the only systems currently "Legal". I would also like someone to explain to me how the Neo won the 12th scale nats this year when it's retail price is above the retail limit.-?
Old 04-17-2005, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by mtveten
If I understood the original post correctly the race officials had decided to allow the prototype brushless but not allow the production GP3700 batts for the open class. In the invite class it sounds like both the GP and prototype esc/motors will be allowed.

Mark
Here is the problem. And we can all slam IFMAR and ROAR about outdated rules blah blah blah. But all Reedy or Tamiya has to do is say the race follows ROAR rules, and be done with it.

When you allow one thing and start creating a new rules package specific to one event, you run into problems like we are facing with this race.

Invitational class has always run under its own rules. This goes back to the off road event in the 80s when 7-cells were legal but because of interntaion/IFMAR rules and norms, only 6-cells were allowed.

Batteries: 3700s are not ROAR legal so not allowed in Open. They are IFMAR legal so allowed in invitational. It gets confusing when you try to combine two rules packages.

Motors: Brushless are ROAR legal but individual systems must still be ROAR approved. But there doesn't seem to be any rules regarding this.

"Any IFMAR/ROAR specification motor may be used. For 2005 the use of brushless technology will be permitted. Brushless motors must meet the specifications outlined by ROAR"

The rules do not state it must be approved, just that it meets specifications. As far as I can tell this opens the door to hybrid/prototype brushed motors as well as prototype brushless motors.

But I don't get a racer confirmation letter so do not know more about rules specifics, only what I see on the website.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:25 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Aw..the voice of reason..Rick is allways right
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

its still the same size cell...
stuff as much juice in there as u want....

If you are saying the 3700's are the same size cell as 3300 I know for a fact that the GP3300's are smaller then the GP3700's. Not by a ton but they are smaller.

I totally agree with you guys saying mod is mod though!
Josh
Old 04-17-2005, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

I can't understand what the fuss is all about.

Reedy organise and sponsor a race. They make their own rules for their own race.

What's wrong with that?

I'm not saying I agree with the rules, but as the organisers / sponsors / owners / call them what you want, they are perfectly entitled to make whatever rules they like.

If you don't like the rules, just don't take part. Simple as that.
Old 04-17-2005, 03:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by johnbull
I can't understand what the fuss is all about.

Reedy organise and sponsor a race. They make their own rules for their own race.

What's wrong with that?

I'm not saying I agree with the rules, but as the organisers / sponsors / owners / call them what you want, they are perfectly entitled to make whatever rules they like.

If you don't like the rules, just don't take part. Simple as that.
John Bull, you are so right.

Hey does anybody know how many entries there will be? I know the entry form says 150 in open class, but does anyone know how they will break down the entries for Mod and Spec? Looks like about 80 for mod and 140 for Spec so far.
Old 04-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

pops - probably a better place to talk about that is the Reedy Race 05 thread in the Racing section on rctech. As far as I know its going to be 100 in spec and 50 in mod, but I've heard they're going to try and add some people since last year.

-WR
Old 04-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Driver1

i would like to see all the drivers at like the Mod Nats run a spec car...
make em all equal...
that would make it closer i think..

like motocross...
wouldnt u like to see all the supercross riders on a stock bike...make the non-factory boys have a chance...
A spec car? Are you crazy? Talk about stunting technology advancements in chassis design. That would be the end of competitive racing in my opinion. Non factory racers wouldn't be able to run with factory guys anyways. It cracks me up how a lot of people think "If I just had the good stuff like the factory guy's I'd be as fast as them." They're factory guys because they're fast, period. They're not fast because they're factory. It just doesn't work like that.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by Dragonfire
You try to do this, and your car will be on fire in about 3mins. Brushless motors are very different especially in the torque department.

A race is a race. If you don't like the rules, don't race.
hell, give em 1400's and mabuchi
Old 04-18-2005, 07:23 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Jon Kerr
It cracks me up how a lot of people think "If I just had the good stuff like the factory guy's I'd be as fast as them." They're factory guys because they're fast, period. They're not fast because they're factory. It just doesn't work like that.
This is the way it has always been - at least since I started racing in 1982.

This bring back memories of the famous Cleveland "Dustbuster" race in the late '80s. A bunch of factory 1/12 drivers were to run an exhibition race using a Dustbuster (mini vacuum) as the power plant. Bascially you were given a vacuum in a box and had to remove the motor and batteries and use them to power your 1/12 car.

They were equipped with a slow mabuchi motor and some generic cells, but the fastest drivers were able to turn times that would have placed them in the stock A-main.

At the time, the "if I only had the same equipment as the factory guys..." myth was busted.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart

This bring back memories of the famous Cleveland "Dustbuster" race in the late '80s. A bunch of factory 1/12 drivers were to run an exhibition race using a Dustbuster (mini vacuum) as the power plant. Bascially you were given a vacuum in a box and had to remove the motor and batteries and use them to power your 1/12 car.

They were equipped with a slow mabuchi motor and some generic cells, but the fastest drivers were able to turn times that would have placed them in the stock A-main.

At the time, the "if I only had the same equipment as the factory guys..." myth was busted.
That's awesome!
Old 04-18-2005, 08:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Rick Hohwart

I remember that rick. didnt buds bartos win that race?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.