Wiki Posts
Search

2005 Reedy Race-3700's not allowed in Open Mod

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 08:41 AM
mo
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I agree Todd. I think they are trying to keep it so that people don't have to rush out and buy new like McSmooth said but the only people that will really benifit from the extra capacity of the GP3700's or IB3800's is the mod guys. Most of the mod drivers will already be planning on buying new packs for the race anyway though, if they plan on being competitive. Not allowing the new cells in will actually make it more expensive because after buying a couple new packs of 3300 for the race, most will probably also buy some of the new packs at the same time or shortly after. The Reedy Race has generally been a pioneer of new things (ie: no 1way rule, etc) but now seems to be taking a step backwards.
Old 04-15-2005, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I'm completely unsponsered and am willing to buy 2 or 3 (you don't need 6) new batteries to be competitive. I don't want to lose because my car is under powered or I can't make runtime, I want to lose because of setup and/or driving.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Tech Addict

Default 3700

this battery is a club race battery until early 2006, there's a lot of
CBin going on from people that get free batts all the time , trinity
needs to bring some better packs for their paid drivers in the open mod class, so maybe next year they will be in the invite, then 3700 or some thing even more stupid should come up
Old 04-15-2005, 10:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Beautiful Downtown L.A. Where the sky is always on fire and the grass is always brown
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Mr. Shookie
See I thought it was "As the Layshaft Turns"
Huh, I thought it was "you got the shaft again"
Old 04-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Todd wants to allow 3700mah batteries so that they can gear brushed motor as high as the brushless and not be concerned with dumping. Basiclly to make it a fair for both sides.
You try to do this, and your car will be on fire in about 3mins. Brushless motors are very different especially in the torque department.

A race is a race. If you don't like the rules, don't race.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Perhaps a better solution would be to allows only commercially available speedos and motors, and lift the 1-way ban (more efficient drive train = more runtime). In regards to the batts it should be either everyone can use the new IB and GP cells or strictly ROAR approved batts only. The purpose of having rules for the various classes is to create a fair and level playing field for all pro and amateur drivers, by allowing some competitors to use products that no one else can even buy is far from the level playing field the rules were intended to create.

Mark
Old 04-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I'm surprised they're allowed at all since they're not ROAR legal. If anything, you could say that the Invite class is an Exhibition class as such, with the pros displaying their newest and best products. With 3700's being so new, there's not a whole lot of info about they yet in the feild. I know I have yet to see any at my track yet. I don't have a huge problem with this, but would prefer an all or nothing ruling.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Todge, I completely agree.
Old 04-15-2005, 10:58 AM
Tech Legend

Ge wiz

The Reedy is`nt a Roar event...

So why would a racer demand Roar rules ?

seems abit dumb to think like that ....
Old 04-15-2005, 10:59 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I don't mind the battery rules, because all of the invite class drivers are sponsored and is actually an exhibition race, so the manufactures should be allowed to show their new products.

In the Mod and Spec class, there are a mix of sponsored and non sponsored drivers, so keeping the 3300 rule sounds fair to me.

The only thing that I would protest is having Brushed and Brushless motors compete together. They are 2 different systems, and 1 probably has a advantage over the other, thus making it unfair.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Why wouldn't REEDY stack the rules in their favor for the REEDY race?

I am sure Trinity would do the same if it were the Trinity race.

To quote a great racer I know, "I think rules are dumb."
Old 04-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

But are they really stacking the rules in their favor? Are you so sure that all the Reedy factory drivers will be running the Neo and Sphere?

No offense to Novak in this one, but having seen people run the 5800 System @ Tamiya America, unless people are using a prototype tweaked system, you're going to want to run a Brushed motor at this time at least. With guys running 7-9 turns, the 5800 won't be able to keep up. Not having seen the Reedy brushless run yet, I have no idea on that one yet.
Old 04-15-2005, 11:29 AM
Tech Initiate

There was one novak brushless unit being run at tamiya america last weekend and it had plenty of hp for that long straightaway, (probably a prototype like they used at the carpet naitonals).
Old 04-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Pretty dumb to allow prototype brushless systems, yet not something like the 3700s, which are available...

You are nuts if you think anyone is gonna run a 5800.....it would have a tough time running with the 19t class......you will see the prototype novak and the prototype LRP/REEDY....neither of which are available, and its been almost a MONTH since nationals....

But last I heard, Reedy did not have the 3700s yet....so maybe that factors in the decision....

Later EddieO
Old 04-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

From what I understand, 3700s are allowed because they are currently IFMAR legal. So in an international race with drivers from all over the world competing, it only makes sense to allow them.

As for brushless, I think any motor should be allowed in invitational class - prototype or not.

But in Open, since 3700s are not allowed (supposedly because of ROAR legality), I hope that the organizers only allow ROAR approved motors. If non-approved motors are allowed, and 3700s are not, there is defiitely some funny business going on.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.