Like Tree15Likes

HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2014, 04:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by krits
Just finished reassembling my wr8.. Let's see if you spot the hop ups
Nice. Upper turnbuckles, Alloy steering, C-hubs and knuckles. And shocks.

Have you done anything else?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Guardian707
Can you put adjustable camber arms on the wr8

Check out my WR8

http://www.rctech.net/forum/members/...07-albums.html
Integy makes a set. You can also piece together endlinks and turnbuckles from hpi parts.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Tech Initiate

What proline wheels and tires will fit the WR8?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Guardian707
What proline wheels and tires will fit the WR8?
The only Proline tires I'v run on my WR8 are the 110200 Road Rage 2.2 M2 Medium Street Tires. They fit reasonable well on the 2.2" WR8 rims and they look pretty cool:

I've never looked at proline wheels so I couldn't tell you there. They would have to have 12mm hexes and be 2.2" to look close to the WR8 scale.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MikeGozz
HPI has just released the new 2013 GRC Ken Block Livery...

Just in time for Mr. Block to update to the 2014 GRC livery... I wish HPI would keep on top of the WR8 and the GRC livery schedule. It's nice they released the 2013 version but in a few weeks everyone will be wanting the 2014 Block version.
Right on schedule, here is that 2014 livery.

Attached Thumbnails HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread-kenblock2014.jpg  
Old 02-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

TBG just released over/under trays. And they even have one with a driver...

Pretty coolio!

2-door overtray

4-door overtray

Undertray

Driver
Old 02-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Tech Regular

Here are a few pictures:

Under tray:

4-door over tray:

2-door over tray:

First thing I noticed is the rear body mount is reversed which got me wondering how the kits clear with the stock Ford body and body mount orientation.

Time will tell I suppose.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:17 PM
Tech Regular

Neat! HPI did the top shell with driver in their original RS4 rally but belt drive and off-road did not mix well. I'm surprised they didn't do it for this one. I would probably leave it off for 3S operation. I wish I could use that lower cover on my WR8 3.0 but it needs every bit of its chassis for a heatsink.
Old 03-01-2014, 05:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Metal One
Neat! HPI did the top shell with driver in their original RS4 rally but belt drive and off-road did not mix well. I'm surprised they didn't do it for this one. I would probably leave it off for 3S operation. I wish I could use that lower cover on my WR8 3.0 but it needs every bit of its chassis for a heatsink.
Yeah. TBG also sells reproductions of the RS4 Rally covers. I never had a problem with mine. I ran it mostly with the cover on and I did notice anything getting stuck around the belts. The cover worked pretty well if you cut it right.

I was also thinking about that. I think with the height of the 4-door cover you would be able to get away with cutting a vent hole in the back seat without worrying about to much dirt coming in. You could maybe covering it with some mesh if you are worried about the dirt.

I run my WR8 on 3s almost exclusively. I'll let you know if I run into any issues with overheating.
Old 03-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Tech Regular

I never had very good luck with mine in the dirt. Seems like I was always digging tiny pebbles out of the diff teeth to unjam it all. I didn't have it long and sold that and an RS4 Sport to get the RS4 Pro 2. Ahh... the good ol' days. I still have the pebbles in the diff teeth problem with my Nitro RS4 to this day. The WR8 chassis has been pretty flawless for me. The stock servos on the other hand... bleh. I gotta change them soon.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:11 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Metal One
I never had very good luck with mine in the dirt. Seems like I was always digging tiny pebbles out of the diff teeth to unjam it all. I didn't have it long and sold that and an RS4 Sport to get the RS4 Pro 2. Ahh... the good ol' days. I still have the pebbles in the diff teeth problem with my Nitro RS4 to this day. The WR8 chassis has been pretty flawless for me. The stock servos on the other hand... bleh. I gotta change them soon.
Good ol' days! haha I actually still run my RS4 pro, Rally and I just picked up a Mini (it is pretty awesome).

I agree the stock steering servo is crap on the WR8. I picked up a savox for $35 used on here and it made a world of difference. It's like it's a totally different car. I also glued the servosaver ring into the servosaver because it was loose and causing odd centering issues so that helped a bunch.

Plus after upgrading the WR8 servos I was able to put the SW-10 into my RS4 rally and it is the perfect speed and strength for it. win - win I suppose.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

Heh, yeah. I dunno why it seems like so long ago. I guess I consider the days before brushless, LiPo and 2.4 ghz to be the good old days. Back when we used to build all of our cars, solder our matched NiCads together and worry about range and frequencies. Those were the days! I miss building kits and that's about it. Things are so much better now!

I had a two RS4 minis. One was normal with the Miata body. The other was a monster mini with A-arms, shocks and axles from a Rally, wheels and tires from an MT and a Beetle body that I baja'd out with cut fenders and all that. It was crazy.

Other HPI's I've owned include the original Micro RS4, Super NRS4, two MT's, Savage 21 and Savage XS Flux. Been an HPI fan for a long time and went through many before finally settling on the three that I have now.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:47 AM
Tech Regular

That Monster Mini sounds pretty awesome man. You got any pictures of it anywhere?

After talking to the TBG guys I found the wheel/tire combo they had on the WR8 in the pictures.

These are 35mm x 80mm. They should be perfect for the WR8:
Hobbypro 1 10 on Road Rear Tire for Buggy RC Car H40 | eBay

And these are 30mm x 80mm. If you want to run a staggered setup I suppose you could order a set of these for the front:
Hobbypro 1 10 on Road Tire for Buggy F RC Car H39 | eBay

I'm going to order two sets of the 35mm wide ones and see how they hold up.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Mike, let us know how is the tire material
Old 03-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by krits
Mike, let us know how is the tire material
Will do. I need to wait until next week to order them so it will probably be a bit before I can review them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.