R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/692742-hpi-wr8-flux-ken-block-h-f-h-v-rally-car-thread.html)

macnkitty2002 01-06-2013 06:05 PM

HPI WR8 Flux/Ken Block H.F.H.V. Rally Car Thread

Enter the official thread for all things HPI WR8 Flux! Before you flame me for already having a thread in the off-road forum, please note that it didn't get any hits so I figured I'd give it a try in on-road land.

Anywho, I just got my WR8 a few days ago and I'm loving it so far!

I got the Abu Dhabi body version which comes with the tarmac tires. They're pretty useless on gravel or anything loose. Can someone tell me whether the gravel spec tires actually help traction that much in the dirt?

Thanks

AFoamPillow 01-06-2013 07:26 PM

i want one so bad but its way out of my budget lol

macnkitty2002 01-06-2013 07:45 PM

True they are a little expensive, but most RTRs are getting up into the $400 range these days. You really do get a nice car for the money. Try to find one used on ebay or on the sale forums here.

njnjperson 01-10-2013 04:13 PM

It's a great car. Quite a blast. I've had mine mostly on pavement and grass. Occasional dirt. For all the abuse I put it through, I can live (for now) with all the breaking parts. BUT...

The parts availability is the biggest problem with this car.

Second biggest problem is things breaking. It's my first real off road car, so I don't know how it holds up to other vehicles. It feels like the ratio of drive time to maintenance time is 1:2 (1hr of driving for 2 hours of maintenance).

The casualty list so far (quantity / item):
2 front bumpers 107902
3 front hub carriers 101209
1 rear hub carrier
1 rear body post 107903
2 suspension shafts 107886
2 stone guards 107882
2 front uprights 101208
1 tire (normal wear & tear after 20 packs)
3 wheel bearings B021
2 upper arms 107905
1 steering nut 101226 (stupid design!)
1 M3x10 screw Z543 (lost in collision)
1 M3x25 screw (sheared off)
1 driveshaft 107874
1 ball end 100310
1 rear shock body 66692

Of these, I repaired the following:
1 front bumper with epoxy bonded to a spare block of foam I had lying around
2 suspension shafts replaced with 12 guage solid core wire. Not the best fit, but it works until my LHS gets them back in stock
1 rear body post with duct tape

Still love the car, but a few more months of this could become very tiresome.

valk 01-10-2013 05:46 PM

want one of these for my basher car, but i dont want one kinda.. lol.

actually looking at possibly converting a 10th scale buggy to fit the hpi body as its only a little bigger than a touring car. 1/10 buggy with a slightly longer chassis would probably work.

macnkitty2002 01-10-2013 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by njnjperson (Post 11660046)
It's a great car. Quite a blast. I've had mine mostly on pavement and grass. Occasional dirt. For all the abuse I put it through, I can live (for now) with all the breaking parts. BUT...

The parts availability is the biggest problem with this car.

Second biggest problem is things breaking. It's my first real off road car, so I don't know how it holds up to other vehicles. It feels like the ratio of drive time to maintenance time is 1:2 (1hr of driving for 2 hours of maintenance).

The casualty list so far (quantity / item):
2 front bumpers 107902
3 front hub carriers 101209
1 rear hub carrier
1 rear body post 107903
2 suspension shafts 107886
2 stone guards 107882
2 front uprights 101208
1 tire (normal wear & tear after 20 packs)
3 wheel bearings B021
2 upper arms 107905
1 steering nut 101226 (stupid design!)
1 M3x10 screw Z543 (lost in collision)
1 M3x25 screw (sheared off)
1 driveshaft 107874
1 ball end 100310
1 rear shock body 66692

Of these, I repaired the following:
1 front bumper with epoxy bonded to a spare block of foam I had lying around
2 suspension shafts replaced with 12 guage solid core wire. Not the best fit, but it works until my LHS gets them back in stock
1 rear body post with duct tape

Still love the car, but a few more months of this could become very tiresome.

Wow man, what are you doing to your car?! I've only put about 10 packs through mine so far, and I'm not exactly gentle with it either, but jeeeeeeeeeeeez what the heck are you doing LOL! Are you hitting a bunch of stuff because I don't see much damage occurring from pavement/grass running. For instance the rock guards, how on earth are you breaking those?

Anyways, I do agree that the parts availability does seem limited. Although I'm going to try using the HPI part numbers as search criteria instead of using "HPI WR8 parts" in my searches. Hoping the direct part numbers will help yield better results.

njnjperson 01-11-2013 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by macnkitty2002 (Post 11661373)
Wow man, what are you doing to your car?! I've only put about 10 packs through mine so far, and I'm not exactly gentle with it either, but jeeeeeeeeeeeez what the heck are you doing LOL! Are you hitting a bunch of stuff because I don't see much damage occurring from pavement/grass running. For instance the rock guards, how on earth are you breaking those?

Anyways, I do agree that the parts availability does seem limited. Although I'm going to try using the HPI part numbers as search criteria instead of using "HPI WR8 parts" in my searches. Hoping the direct part numbers will help yield better results.

Yah, I've utterly abused the thing.

I'm basically driving a large L shaped circuit that involves my driveway -> a low speed speed drift into the threshold of my neighbors driveway -> a bumpy sidewalk segment -> small jump back to the street -> short straight acceleration into a 60% throttle @ 3s turn at the street intersection -> a quick burst down the street straightaway at 70% full throttle -> into my driveway -> sharp turn and then back out again to my neighbors driveway.

Goofing any of the turns can result in violent WR8 abuse. The most menacing offenders are three street signs along the bumpy sidewalk and curbs made of Belgian blocks. The street signs killed two of my rock guards.

I think the rear shock body gave up the ghost when it launched it off the lip of a parking shallow garage ramp at 80% 3s throttle and proceeded to tumbled under & through a parked car.

I also drove it in snow & dirt, followed by a regimen of air compressor cleaning and fan drying. Now that I'm learning more about this, it probably wasn't enough. Driving in the wet like that requires a more comprehensive level of care for the bearings.

It's also running about 30F to 45F around these parts, so the plastics are definitely more brittle than they were during the early fall temps.

Yep, if you stay on grass and dirt like most normal people the car should be fine.

808TXT1 01-18-2013 09:54 PM

I've been checking out this car online. I want to use this for onroad racing...got a friend with the OFNA GTP 2E...it's between that one and the HPI. Still researching...

Bryan29 03-05-2013 04:42 PM

I'm gonna bump this one from the great beyond.

I'm getting one of these for my track's on road racing class, probably against the SC trucks and Traxxas Rallys.

Anybody racing theirs?

jproffitt 03-05-2013 06:17 PM

Not yet! Just got approval that they will let my wr8 race with 4x4 sct onroad.

Bryan29 03-06-2013 01:49 PM

That's where mine is going to race too.

Bryan29 03-10-2013 02:07 PM

I just put mine on the track today and it was awesome.

One issue though. It's got a little bit of body roll. Is the orange sway bar set the only option available? I need to stiffen it up a bit.

Bryan29 03-11-2013 08:09 PM

Anybody got any setup tips?

Bryan29 03-15-2013 07:25 PM

Anybody?

njnjperson 03-24-2013 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan29 (Post 11935771)
Anybody?

Not really. Mine seems to drive great in stock setup. Some have mentioned using heavier shock oil in the back, but I'm pretty happy with mine as it is.

The biggest problem with this car is that it's fragile. Really fragile.

Also check to make sure the tires remain glued to the rims. After a while they start to separate and that seems to cause the car to traction roll a lot.