Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 05:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by alex_evo
Hi
Im having a little trouble with my xv01. I use mine on tarmac and gravel and a few jumps.

Basically the steering is all over the place.

Every bump and the steering alignment is either to the right or left by alot.
I took the car apart, rebuild using shims to eliminate some of the slop and still no gd.
Checked turnbuckles are straight and same lengths

Using:
Savox servo 1251mg
Kit servo saver
Front buggy CVA's with tb01 springs (longer than TRF's and just enough that the steering doesn't catch on chassis)
Is the kit plastic saver damaged, or does it even have the correct number of teeth to match the Savox?
Old 09-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
Is the kit plastic saver damaged, or does it even have the correct number of teeth to match the Savox?
Savox uses 25 splines like Futaba, and yes, the kit servo saver mates up with it fine.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:27 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by metalnut
Could it be that this would be sitting on the xv01tc, and not the original xv01 chassis itself? Given the application of the 86, I think it very possible.

EDIT: the 1:1 Gazoo 86 is indeed a rally car, so the chassis itself will probably be the rally version.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes I have used the futaba horn. Will Will double check to see if its damaged
Old 09-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Smile
Could it be that this would be sitting on the xv01tc, and not the original xv01 chassis itself? Given the application of the 86, I think it very possible.

EDIT: the 1:1 Gazoo 86 is indeed a rally car, so the chassis itself will probably be the rally version.
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

The 1:1 does sit higher
Old 09-08-2013, 12:32 PM
Tech Elite

I watched an older gentleman with a BRZ do those exact donuts at a recent performance driving class I attended. Stock BRZ, no modifications, doing donuts around a cone just like that. Everyone cheered and clapped every time he went out. VERY impressive little car.

As a side note, I had a hell of a time trying to even come close in my Evo.
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM
Tech Champion

I like the Toyota 86, I've owned a couple of Celicas and always loved them and when I saw this is RWD, I really became excited. Unfortunately Toyota brought it to the states under Scion, just to save the brand from failing.

It seems Im not alone though.. there was a guy on the FT86Club forum that changed all his badges back to Toyota 86 lol. If I ever do buy one, I would probably do the same.
Old 09-09-2013, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Raman
I like the Toyota 86, I've owned a couple of Celicas and always loved them and when I saw this is RWD, I really became excited. Unfortunately Toyota brought it to the states under Scion, just to save the brand from failing.

It seems Im not alone though.. there was a guy on the FT86Club forum that changed all his badges back to Toyota 86 lol. If I ever do buy one, I would probably do the same.
Its exciting to see a Toyota RWD Sports car out there, but at the same time, its quite disappointing, not to say dramatic, to see Subaru following the same path, and worse, at least for me, that there wont be any real IMPREZA WRX, I mean, the middle class turbo-awd super car, the regular joe´s rally car genre; instead they are killing this genre going, that wicked but expensive, WRX 2014, that is meant to cost about the same small fortune as a BMW M3 or an Audi S4...

They are slowly shifting away from our beloved rally genre.
I hope that I´m wrong.

This could have been an Impreza WRX, pricetagged as so, but it will compete against a M3 and cost similarly....
Old 09-09-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

If Subaru is in fact going the route of competing with the likes of an M3 with the Impreza then they are being foolish. Toyota has tried that with the Lexus IS series.. its still no 3 series and the ISF not an M3.

It is sad, I see this too often.. greed sets in and they want what the other guy has, but they never really get there. It goes the same for the 911, Aston V8 Vantage, Maserati GT, Audi R8 were all supposed to steal the 911's market share. Sorry but its still going strong..

The M3 is an M3 and not Audi, Nissan, Toyota or Subaru is ever going to be able to take anything away. I probably come across as a BMW fan, and I assure you I am not, but I used to be still they started to disappoint me. I personally think the current 3 series is too big, in truth it is now the size of the 6 series in the 80s.

They will learn the hard way when no one steps up and pays $55,000 + for their car.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sith Lord
is it ok on tarmac/ asphalt surface and only happens on bumpy gravel surface?

if yes, check ur shocks... i had my shocks built as per kit with kit oil, wich is too hard for it.. changed it to 400cst oil for front , 300cst oil for rear with 2 hole piston all round, so much better now..

else, i'm always 'drifting' around on track and car cant even go straight at times....

using an alu servo horn tho..
Old 09-10-2013, 07:57 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The WRX is competing with the M3? Unless Im missing something, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Subaru is not really in the 'premium' car segment, and a turbocharged flat four cannot possibly be geared to rival a twin turbo v6. If they are going to make an M3 killer though, it would probably not be under the Impreza WRX nameplate.

Not to mention the current Evo X was said to be planned towards people who would buy the likes of the M3, but it stayed true to its rally car roots.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Tech Elite

Not to mention the current Evo X was said to be planned towards people who would buy the likes of the M3, but it stayed true to its rally car roots.
You know... I think Mitsubishi got it right. When I was shopping for a new car last year, an M3 was at the top of my list. But, being a smart shopper, I took a few cars for a drive and the Evo X won hands down. I'm now the proud owner and I don't regret my decision at all.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Adept

The WRX is competing with the M3? Unless Im missing something, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. Subaru is not really in the 'premium' car segment, and a turbocharged flat four cannot possibly be geared to rival a twin turbo v6. If they are going to make an M3 killer though, it would probably not be under the Impreza WRX nameplate.

That´s the point.

Apparently there won´t be another Impreza WRX:
The Impreza brand is going to be solely the family small sedan line; flat4 awd, non-turbo.
The WRX, which will be a whole new brand in the Subaru´s lineup, is supposed to compete against the segment leader, the top of mind, BMW M3.

And we, working class heroes, are going to be left out. The last real working class rally car is the Evo.
Times are changing.

If only the FIA had kept some of their rules up to date, maybe today we could have some AWD-1.6-turbo DS3s, Fiestas, H20s, and Polos on a budget.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:09 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I use front buggy dampers all round with tb01 springs with 30wt oil, works well on gravel and ok on tarmac. Traction rolls abit when cornering hard.

Changed new servo saver and that has done the trick

Originally Posted by viktozzz
is it ok on tarmac/ asphalt surface and only happens on bumpy gravel surface?

if yes, check ur shocks... i had my shocks built as per kit with kit oil, wich is too hard for it.. changed it to 400cst oil for front , 300cst oil for rear with 2 hole piston all round, so much better now..

else, i'm always 'drifting' around on track and car cant even go straight at times....

using an alu servo horn tho..
Old 09-10-2013, 04:13 PM
Tech Elite

I just have two sets of shocks. I use the TRF shocks with the (new) optional Tamiya offroad springs for offroad setups. This includes using the longer shock ends for a higher ride height. I then picked up a set of Spec-R TC shocks (in blue) from TQRC for like $40 or something, which I use for onroad setups. Those are using Spec-R springs and appropriate oil and provide a lower ride height.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.