Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Tech Addict

I found them on eBay. RC tire rally. Here is a link to some one who sells them, though I think when I bought it, they were cheaper by a couple of dollars. You might have to paginate through 100s of listings before finding it. They are not glued. I think the offset I have on these rims were 0mm

https://m.ebay.com/itm/4x-RC-Pull-Rally-1-10-Car-On-Road-1-16-Off-Road-Wheel-Rim-Tyre-Tires-907B-7004A-/231296210094?hash=item35da5414ae%3Ag%3AebQAAOSwGvh T2gI4&_trkparms=pageci%253A765421ee-a322-11e7-9dff-74dbd18025d3%257Cparentrq%253Ac0ee757315e0ac8074d3 c408ffed0b86%257Ciid%253A24

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
4roller, where did you get those tires? I want a set for my XV-01. Did they come mounted? If so, what offset would you say they are? The tread reminds me of the stock tires that come on a lot of the Team Associated shortcourse trucks - though shrunken down to a smaller wheel.
It's funmy that you mention that it reminds you of a Associated tire. It reminds me of a Tamiya sand tire from days gone past.

Last edited by 4roller; 09-26-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2017, 10:43 PM
Tech Regular

Those big tires look great This is what I'm missing on 1/10 rally cars - proper tyres. Real cars use much smaller rims for gravel, than for tarmac, but RC doesn't and it just doesn't look right. It would be nice, if someone made 1,7 or 1,55 tires with standart outer diameter
Old 09-26-2017, 10:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Papi
Those big tires look great This is what I'm missing on 1/10 rally cars - proper tyres. Real cars use much smaller rims for gravel, than for tarmac, but RC doesn't and it just doesn't look right. It would be nice, if someone made 1,7 or 1,55 tires with standart outer diameter
Smaller rims wouldn't fit most chassis, there's not a lot of clearance between the inside of the rim and the suspension parts.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gigaplex
Smaller rims wouldn't fit most chassis, there's not a lot of clearance between the inside of the rim and the suspension parts.
I know, but still, lot of older tamiyas would fit them, since they use similar suspension to minis.Maybe with some modifications, XV would be able to fit them too.
Another posibility are rims and tires similar to Slash 1/16 - 1.9 inner rim, 1.5 outer rim.
Old 09-26-2017, 11:09 PM
Tech Addict

The larger tires mounted on the standard rims have some disadvantages.

Since they are 75mm instead of 68mm outside diameter, you have 3.5mm more sidewall. Great for ride height but it also translates to more sidewall flex. The foams they came with are not that great either.

The other downside is that they are 30mm wide. You have more surface traction but mounted on a 26mm rim you will have a lot of side to side flex. The tire isn't as consistent as a Standard TC wheel.

The tires on hard turns will fold under. At high speeds it may cause skipping. But to me that's part of the fun.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZXz7DFAU7R/

You can see in this slow motion clip, that on a hard turn there is some skipping/sliding because the tire is folding under while biting the surface, then at max flex point it rebounds and hops, and so on. The cushyness of the ride really makes up for the inconsistency of the tire. It's like driving on high grip balloons! They really do add to the suspension.

Last edited by 4roller; 09-26-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 02:36 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I've had the same thought myself, about taller sidewall tyres.

It would be nice to have them, would set the look a bit better instead of low profile rubber bands, haha.

The 30mm width wouldn't be ideal and puts even more stress on the drive line.
Being taller is already a big ask.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

It would be interesting to try them out. Thanks for posting that video to give us a good idea of how they perform in the flesh. However, you are clearly a more patient person than I am. The Ebay link that you sent shows an estimated delivery date of October 14- November with the parts coming from China. I'd want to make it worth it by ordering a few sets, but am mildly concerned about what happens if I dislike them and then have 3 sets of tires wasting away in the drawer. I have a history of falling into this particular tire trap situation.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:17 PM
Tech Addict

Sometimes I put stuff on order from eBay China, then I forget about it. I get a surprise in the mail between 2 weeks or a month later. These tires were not my favourite when I got them. They were not consistent like x-patterns. But then after doing the on road thing forever, I went back to my tire bin and threw these on for giggles. Still they we not my favourite. But only after setting up the ESC and the body, did it become the ultimate combination for me.

Why not just put one on order with free shipping?

Originally Posted by Colbynobo
It would be interesting to try them out. Thanks for posting that video to give us a good idea of how they perform in the flesh. However, you are clearly a more patient person than I am. The Ebay link that you sent shows an estimated delivery date of October 14- November with the parts coming from China. I'd want to make it worth it by ordering a few sets, but am mildly concerned about what happens if I dislike them and then have 3 sets of tires wasting away in the drawer. I have a history of falling into this particular tire trap situation.

Last edited by 4roller; 09-27-2017 at 09:38 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Shimmy
Being taller is already a big ask.
I have found that the slipper clutch is a must for larger tires.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:47 PM
Tech Addict

Todays rally session had wheels flying off quite literally. No biggy, just a loose wheel nut.

The car performed phenomenally! A smooth basketball court, means 4 wheel drifts and power slides with the sound of screeching tires. I also took it on the grass, because now I can with the larger tires and extra ride height. I took it off some grass ditch jumps too! While it's not the best flyer, it certainly wasn't terrible. The sloped hard packed flower beds were very fun to drive up into. The ability to drive the xv-01 into decently rough terrain now makes it close to the perfect all vehicle flr me. because it can still handle the street well too. Super fun rally ftw!
Old 10-01-2017, 07:52 PM
Tech Addict

I am trying some different 75mm tires. Here these are a 75mmx26mm tire. A little better suited for the chassis since they aren't so wide or floppy. After 1 hard run, it looks like they will last a good while. Good sideways driftability. Tire screeching is very realistic. These tires are similar compound to the 90mm MST crawler tires I was raving about a while ago.

So after some hard street rally, I ended up stripping out an already semi stripped rear hub carrier thread at the ball joint. This happened because I was taking some pretty hard turns from concrete to short grippy grass. I guess the extra traction just was too much for the screw. I've since changed the location of the link and my handling seems to have changed only a little. Shorter rear links.

The tires have a semi rounded profile and are pretty cheap anywhere from $9-13 on the eBay seller. "Austar rally tire"
Old 10-06-2017, 09:34 PM
Tech Addict

Today I did some overhauling of the xv-01. I purchased a new chassis to eventually move everything over to. In the mean time I had to address some issues that seems to have crept up.

Above you see the chassis has broken at the front two transmission box screws. This is because of ramming speeds achieved with my new found love for rally off road. I tried to CA glue it, but it broke again, thus the new chassis in the mail.

A note about this kind of breakage. Once this part of the chassis breaks, all the load for keeping the front end stiff and coming apart is on the two front screws holding the bumper to the motor cage. I found out the hard way because those two screws of mine were stripped. I ended up drilling deep and tapping with long screws

To go along with the front end breakage, the suspension block here has been bent, due to the same front end collisions. Yes more than once. What can I say, it's a lot of fun to rally a car, but also a lot rougher. Anyways, the block was very easy to bend back in a vice and some pliers.

So while reviewing these issues I decided to give the old suspension a go. I made some slight modifications to the hub carrier to allow for more front end droop.

Above you can see my terrible Dremel job. I removed just a tiny bit of material here where the hex is pointing to. This allows for much greater suspension droop when coupled with adding 5mm spacers below the front-rear suspension blocks.

You can see some significant ride height here with long damper ends and 75mm tires before a camber alignment.

More than 30mm of clearance!

I also visited the rear end of my car. The differential had been running super free with little to no oil. This really allows the car to rotate. However after switching to 75mm tires, the xv-01 has a greater tendency to lift the inner rear wheel on sharp turns. At that point you car hear the loose rear diff spinning quite loudly. In my mind, this is power lost while coming out of a corner. So to alleviate some of that wasted power, I drop a couple licks of 60k diff fluid in the rear. This has significantly reduced diffing wheel spin on 3 wheel turns. The rear diff is also still loose enough that it doesn't go into oversteer. I think this is an optimal solution instead of packing the rear diff full of 5k oil, just put a drop or two of 60k oil in and it works about the same without the leakage.

I also removed the sway bars.

Anyway I was excited to get the car on the road again to see what the old suspension was like. I have to say that it preforms brilliantly! Just as fun in rally mode as my TC rally suspension setup.

Of course the TC suspensions strength was in semi slammed street setup. But if you are going to be rallying, the stock suspension is great!

That's all for now. Rally on.

Last edited by 4roller; 10-06-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

4Roller, where do you reside? US? Europe?
Old 10-07-2017, 10:23 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Raman
4Roller, where do you reside? US? Europe?
I said brilliantly. But I live in Los Angeles. Lol
Old 10-07-2017, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 4roller
I said brilliantly. But I live in Los Angeles. Lol
I dont know if you ordered the chassis yet but TamiyaUSA has it for 11.99 on their site

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.