Search
Like Tree167Likes

Tamiya XV-01

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 09:47 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Papi
What blocks are you using? 419 has 1F, XV has 1A, which is few milimeters narrower
A/A front and A/D in rear. I'm using the diff. So unless I run -1,5 camber or more, the drive shaft pops out. On carpet, the weight of front motor doesn't require so much camber in front.

I ordered the spool from Stella last night.
Old 07-20-2017, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

Weird thing is, that rear works fine with 44mm... TRF axles should have same width in the front and rear with same blocks
Old 07-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 4roller
While not a xv-01 chassis, I still continue to dabble and mangle other chassis to get that rally ride height.

Xv-01 front arms on a TB03.

TC short reversible arms found on tb03/04, Ta05v2, ta06, trf416... Are very limited in droop. 1 because of chassis molding, which you can see I milled away. 2 the hub carrier and arm interface just blocks downward motion without modification. I opted in this case to use xv-01 front arms TB suspension blocks with mad spacers underneath to get almost 22mm droop, similar to the rear (needs no modifications using TC arms).

I had to use 44mm cvds instead of the 42mm CVDs for the Xv-01.

This modification while producing a significant increase in suspension travel has increased chatter to a crazy amount. I am not sure if dcj would resolve the issue. It only happens when wheels are mounted.

Rally forever.
I tried this on my TB03 too, but never liked how this frontend performed... I can't explain why..
Std axles work fine, after some mods, but reasonable ride height can be achieved only with removed downstops.

You can try one thing: Rear arms from XV01 can fit knuckles with only minor shimmimg. I have this axle on my RWD rally car and works pretty well.. I just don't know, which length of swing shafts is needed.
Old 07-21-2017, 07:37 AM
Tech Addict

Are You are saying the rear arms work (with shimming) as front arms on TC knuckles and hub carriers? Interesting.

Yes I ended up scrapping the xv-01 front setup. There is so much chatter at full droop. And when I turn to full angle at full drop it's extremely bad, the cvds catch causing metal binding.

I went back to my original setup with TC arms and a little milling. Cutting out the U shaped a little deeper to get the knuckles to fall deeper into droop. I did this same shaving trick with the Xv-01 TC conversation to get back it's rally ride height in the front.

The tb03 being shaft driven feels a lot more direct than the xv-01. Weighting is similar to the TA05. Since the tb03 I have isn't quite setup nicely yet. I cannot give a real comparison.

I tried this on my TB03 too, but never liked how this frontend performed... I can't explain why..
Std axles work fine, after some mods, but reasonable ride height can be achieved only with removed downstops.

You can try one thing: Rear arms from XV01 can fit knuckles with only minor shimmimg. I have this axle on my RWD rally car and works pretty well.. I just don't know, which length of swing shafts is needed.
Old 07-21-2017, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Are You are saying the rear arms work (with shimming) as front arms on TC knuckles and hub carriers? Interesting.

The tb03 being shaft driven feels a lot more direct than the xv-01. Weighting is similar to the TA05. Since the tb03 I have isn't quite setup nicely yet. I cannot give a real comparison.
Sorry I meant XV 01 hubs and knuckles. Rear arms are little longer and have more options for damper position.

TB03 has more weight on rear, so it's even more stable than TA05... For me it was too much stability, so i did shorty/mid motor conversion for stage rally
Old 07-21-2017, 04:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

That seems like a lot of work to fit the XV-01 suspension arms to a different vehicle. When I wanted to raise my TB-04R, I installed longer shocks and clearanced the chassis to allow the original suspension arms to droop lower.
Old 07-21-2017, 05:56 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So I finally gave up trying to sell my XV01T and decided to build it as a rally car to compare to my TA02. I know the arms are different than the regular XV01 (they're the soft, gray plastic). I found a few quirks that I was wondering was similar between the regular XV01 and this one.

First, and not surprisingly, there were no droop screws included, but I was able to use some screws from other kits that did the job.

The reason I needed those droop screws was twofold. The springs themselves were waaay too short for how tall the shocks were supposed to be built. Even with the manual suggested spacers installed, there was a good five millimeters of travel in the shocks beyond the length of the springs. And when the shocks were fully extended on the car, the turnbuckles would catch on the chassis as the wheels turned. This contact would limit steering throw to only about a third of the maximum. If the turnbuckles caught on the chassis from the servo moving the steering, I would expect disastrous results.

Using droop screws to keep the shocks short enough to keep tension on the springs and to stop the turnbuckles from jamming on the chassis, the car still has a maximum ride height of 21mm, fully extended. I still don't have any electronics installed, so I haven't been able to set its resting ride height yet. Anybody else have these problems?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Tech Addict

It's a pretty well documented issue with the turnbuckles rubbing the chassis on full drop. One thing that I and others have done is cut down the chassis and suspension block area where it rubs. A file or dremel with a milling bit works great.

Originally Posted by longuylander
So I finally gave up trying to sell my XV01T and decided to build it as a rally car to compare to my TA02. I know the arms are different than the regular XV01 (they're the soft, gray plastic). I found a few quirks that I was wondering was similar between the regular XV01 and this one.

First, and not surprisingly, there were no droop screws included, but I was able to use some screws from other kits that did the job.

The reason I needed those droop screws was twofold. The springs themselves were waaay too short for how tall the shocks were supposed to be built. Even with the manual suggested spacers installed, there was a good five millimeters of travel in the shocks beyond the length of the springs. And when the shocks were fully extended on the car, the turnbuckles would catch on the chassis as the wheels turned. This contact would limit steering throw to only about a third of the maximum. If the turnbuckles caught on the chassis from the servo moving the steering, I would expect disastrous results.

Using droop screws to keep the shocks short enough to keep tension on the springs and to stop the turnbuckles from jamming on the chassis, the car still has a maximum ride height of 21mm, fully extended. I still don't have any electronics installed, so I haven't been able to set its resting ride height yet. Anybody else have these problems?
Old 07-21-2017, 06:40 PM
Tech Addict

I'd like to see your rear wheel midmotor rally machine. Is it built on the tb03? It sounds interesting.

Yes the geometry of the tb03 is similar to the TA05. But you are correct that it has more rear end stability. I couldn't put my finger on it, but that rear end weight really changes how the tb03 thing turns. I kind of want it to be a little wilder in the rear.

I'll have to try the xv-01 rear arms to see what thats like.

Sorry I meant XV 01 hubs and knuckles. Rear arms are little longer and have more options for damper position.

TB03 has more weight on rear, so it's even more stable than TA05... For me it was too much stability, so i did shorty/mid motor conversion for stage rally
Old 07-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Tech Addict

All that work I did with the xv-01 arms was for nothing. At full droop and full turn the cvds would bind pretty hard. I switched back to the short reversible. Along with the milled chassis of the tb03, I also cut out some of the a-arms to allow for more droop. I did the same thing with my xv01TC conversion. I know this should net me at least an extra 5mm but I am hoping more.

Originally Posted by fyrstormer
That seems like a lot of work to fit the XV-01 suspension arms to a different vehicle. When I wanted to raise my TB-04R, I installed longer shocks and clearanced the chassis to allow the original suspension arms to droop lower.
Old 07-22-2017, 03:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It's a pretty well documented issue with the turnbuckles rubbing the chassis on full drop. One thing that I and others have done is cut down the chassis and suspension block area where it rubs. A file or dremel with a milling bit works great.
Thanks. I had a feeling I'd find something within this thread, but 100 pages was a lot to fish through. I hate taking a dremel to a new chassis too... And then I'd need a larger set of springs.....
Old 07-22-2017, 06:09 AM
Tech Adept

A few questions for you guys:

I'm slowly reviving my xv-01 after finally getting better settled in London, after a difficult move in period, and although I'm now working a lot more hours and crazy rotas than I would have wished, I could eventually find a few moments to play with the car. I wish I could have at least a few weekends off to be able to take part in some low level races. One thing that I noticed here is that there just aren't any smooth dirt lot to drive bash with a rally setup. It's either smooth tarmac, parking lots or grass. I was thinking about paying a visit to a local off-road track, but it seems that they're all clubs and stuff, or I just don't know how it works. Local Londoners, what do you guys suggest?

I'm also looking to buy some tyres to bash in local parking lots and dusty tarmac and was thinking about buying a pair of semi slicks. Specifically I was looking after the Tamiya's Semi Slick or the HPI X-Pattern. What do you think about them?

Cheers
Old 07-22-2017, 08:00 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stormridersp
A few questions for you guys:

I'm slowly reviving my xv-01 after finally getting better settled in London, after a difficult move in period, and although I'm now working a lot more hours and crazy rotas than I would have wished, I could eventually find a few moments to play with the car. I wish I could have at least a few weekends off to be able to take part in some low level races. One thing that I noticed here is that there just aren't any smooth dirt lot to drive bash with a rally setup. It's either smooth tarmac, parking lots or grass. I was thinking about paying a visit to a local off-road track, but it seems that they're all clubs and stuff, or I just don't know how it works. Local Londoners, what do you guys suggest?

I'm also looking to buy some tyres to bash in local parking lots and dusty tarmac and was thinking about buying a pair of semi slicks. Specifically I was looking after the Tamiya's Semi Slick or the HPI X-Pattern. What do you think about them?

Cheers
Oi velho amigo, tudo bem!!!

You're in London now? Take a look at TamiyaClub Forum, majority on there are from the UK.. they would be more helpful in letting you know about the tracks in London. Qatmix Who is on RCtech and TamiyaClub.. is from the UK.. he also who has the online publication thercracer.com.. he can give you advise on tracks as well

Regarding tyres.. the HPI x patterns are discontinued, in fact HPI is pretty much close to being discontinued!

Ride 24024 are great for Tarmac bashing.. I put these on my nephews Rallylegends.

https://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/product_view.asp?p_id=7916

Pricing and impostas in U.K. Can be almost as bad as Sao Paolo.. so let me know if I can help by shipping things from the US.. I have done it for a few members on Tamiya Club!
Old 07-22-2017, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

London has a fantastic venue (West London Raceway) They even run a Tamiya class most sundays. Its a great circuit.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:53 PM
Tech Addict

Here in the US. HPI x-patterns can be had from almost any online retailer.

The 24mm Ride tires listed above are excellent. Low side wall, good grip, long lasting. The only thing about them is that they are small wheels. Width and height wise.

The 26mm Ride tires I have recently tried. They are just as good as the 24mm. Good quality. They have a higher side wall and wider width. I recommend all of the tires mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.