Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
The Best Shaft? Pro-4, TC-4, or Yok SD? Opinions Requested! >

The Best Shaft? Pro-4, TC-4, or Yok SD? Opinions Requested!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Shaft? Pro-4, TC-4, or Yok SD? Opinions Requested!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

that car is really good. just beacuse people think the evo 4 came out that the previous model is old news. I still see people win with hpi pro2's. Bottom line is that your going to get a real good car. i've never driven one but i hear good things.

Last edited by axel; 04-24-2005 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

thanks axel, got the gear installed just waiting to get a damn pinion to fit it, its 64dp and my previous car run 0.4
Old 04-24-2005, 01:24 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default car

ya i was looking to get a evo4, bcuz i have a shft drive tc3. kinda wanting to stay with the shafts for now. maybe thinking of getting Pro4 in a couple of weeks once i graduate.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:43 PM
Tech Regular

the evo iii looks awesome and hopefully will perform, hopefully ill report back to you guys onw ednesday to see how the maiden run went
Old 04-27-2005, 12:04 PM
Tech Adept

I was in a local hobby shop yesterday and I noticed that they had a spare frame for the TC4. The package seemed to say that it was a "hard" chassis version. The TC4 has been criticized for having a chassis that was too flexible, so I was wondering if this was an upgrade part, or if is just what they call all the TC4 frames. Anyone know if a harder version is out yet?
Old 04-27-2005, 09:48 PM
Tech Adept

I had a bit of time just a while ago and I looked at the Team Associated website, and apparently, yes, TA does make a "hard" carbon version chassis which is the basis of the Factory Team car.

That raises another interesting question:

Which is stiffer? The TC4 or the Yokomo tub? Does anyone know?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Re: The Best Shaft? Pro-4, TC-4, or Yok SD? Opinions Requested!

Originally posted by ApexPredator

Who's the best out of the box? : - SDW

Who's the best after modifications? :

Which one is the most expensive to modify : - TC4

... my personal opinion.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally posted by MobileIT
Which is stiffer? The TC4 or the Yokomo tub? Does anyone know?
i have both, i feel the YOKE (CGM) tub is stiffer.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

You can't go wrong with an Evo IV MS. I drove a FT TC3 until a couple of weeks ago. Since I got my Evo, my lap times have dropped almost 1 sec per lap. For some reason I was never able to get my TC3 to hook up for me. Durability with the Evo hasn't been a problem either, if you shim it right. I'm not a great driver, I tend to hit things, and I haven't had any breakage on the EVO yet. It's a little expensive, but there aren't many hop-ups that you have to buy for it, since most of them come in the box.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Default Shaft Drive Sedans

The problem with picking a shaft drive at this time is that the one that you can get parts for at every hobby shop is the most toy like(TC4) and the noisiest. Just look at the Quality of the other cars compared to TC4. Carbon fibre and machined aluminum for Xray, Pro4, Tamiya, etc. and TC4 toys R us quality, almost.

The cars all cost about the same after some upgrades.

I notice that most of the people in my area are not doing as well when they changed over to the TC4. Several have already dumped the TC4. I don't see anyone dumping Xray, Pro4, Tamiya, or JXRS for a TC4.

Don't think that I am just bashing Associated as I own 7 or 8 of their cars. For the money that you will spend on a touring car I want quality components and Associated doesn't have it, but all of the other manufactures have to put out a superior car. Associated's bean counters are happy with a cheaper product that they will alot of. The hobby shops all carry associated parts and cars because the cars don't hold up and need constant parts replacement, more so than any other car, in my opinion.

If this is you first sedan I would definitely get something that you can get parts for locally or buy what you want and order alot of parts at first. Waiting on parts to race sucks as you miss races while waiting for UPS.

Just my 2c worth.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Tech Master

Default Re: Shaft Drive Sedans

Originally posted by Charles
The problem with picking a shaft drive at this time is that the one that you can get parts for at every hobby shop is the most toy like(TC4) and the noisiest. Just look at the Quality of the other cars compared to TC4. Carbon fibre and machined aluminum for Xray, Pro4, Tamiya, etc. and TC4 toys R us quality, almost.

The cars all cost about the same after some upgrades.

I notice that most of the people in my area are not doing as well Tamiya, or JXRS for a TC4.

Don't think that I am just bashing Associated as I own 7 or 8 of their cars. For the money that you will spend on a touring car I want quality components and Associated doesn't have it, but all when they changed over to the TC4. Several have already dumped the TC4. I don't see anyone dumping Xray, Pro4, of the other manufactures have to put out a superior car. Associated's bean counters are happy with a cheaper product that they will alot of. The hobby shops all carry associated parts and cars because the cars don't hold up and need constant parts replacement, more so than any other car, in my opinion.

If this is you first sedan I would definitely get something that you can get parts for locally or buy what you want and order alot of parts at first. Waiting on parts to race sucks as you miss races while waiting for UPS.

Just my 2c worth.

well in RCCA they did quote the tc4 being as a "play car" or something like that. Yeah i saw a tc4 first hand i happened to like it. but when i drove it i didn't like it very much, but the car that i drove wasn't exactly dialed in if you know what i mean. But tc4's are very competitive. the only advantage it has over all these CF cars is that it is more durable.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:44 PM
Tech Master

Because RCCA is a "play" magazine.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:46 PM
Tech Master

well gotta agree on that RCCA is the worst rc mag i've read.
But yeah the tc4 is a very capable car, besides the TF isn't even out yet!
Old 05-03-2005, 09:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default TC4 upgrades

Yes, out of the box the TC4 lacks a lot. To get the TC4 up to a competitive level for my local track it takes:

Anti-roll bars $24
Springs $10
Titanium TB's, and pins $35
Alunimum trasmission shafts $24
Hardened polished inner pins on front $9 (The others bend)
Carbon Fiber kit $56
Aluminum pivot mounts $48 (2.0 degree rear and added strength for Front)
Spool $22

That's $228 on top of the kit cost. We just bought a Pro4 also. The Pro 4 is competitive out of the box. I added a spool ($14).

The money spent yielded a light responsive car that can compete at the Pro Stock level. (Took 3rd last weekend). But, it cost me $96 than just buying a Pro4.

The other drawback is the lack of setup examples on the TC4 for Asphalt. I have it down after a lot of trial and error. The Pro 4 is good to go on Asphalt with just a tweak to the anti-roll bars and maybe a change to Roll Center.

So, I like both cars. The TC4 is mine and the Pro4 is my sons. As you can see, AE is making a killing off parts on this one! and yes, the front A arms are easy to break (another winfall in spare parts dollars).
Old 05-03-2005, 09:09 AM
Tech Regular

TF isn't out yet? What is a TF?

You said that TC4 is more durable than a Carbon Fibre car, I would disagree. If you break a chassis in either car it's definitely the nut behind the wheel problem . That aside the drive trains of the non TC4's are very sturdy and of higher quality and well engineered.

If I had to drive a car that I could get parts for locally, I would go with the JRXS. I know it's not shaft drive but on the track they do hook up out of the box. If your hobby shop carries parts for anything but assoc and Losi, you are lucky.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.