Wiki Posts
Search

ROAR 2013 Carpet On-Road Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 05:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
Hey KBo, what 1/12 scale class are you running?
Thinking about adding 17.5 - I'm not good enuff anymore to run the others
Old 02-16-2013, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Black art Audi r8c.
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Are there any spots still open?
Old 02-16-2013, 02:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Cody_ferone
you can look here - http://www.roarracing.org/national_r....php?raceid=26

but there is a waiting list, and based on the list from today, you'd be #3 in line
Old 02-16-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Old 02-16-2013, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (94%+)

No as of now the race is full but I would get on the list in case someone drops out or they add more tables you will be third in line as kabo stated
Old 02-17-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by k_bojar
dumb question or am i just missing something..

how come there are no pro-line 12th bodies on the ROAR approved list???

I was sitting in my work room staring at my 12th scale and it screamed race me - so i went looking for a new body and was shocked it was only CRC/BlackArt and Parma on the list

am i missing something??

This one say meets ROAR's requirements - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ...w.asp?p_id=469 - 1/12 AMR-12 On Road Body

as does this - http://www.tqrcracing.com/shop/produ....asp?p_id=5141 - TR-12 1/12 Lightweight Clear Body
This issue has been brought to our attention and we're looking to get it resolved ASAP.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EricPF
This issue has been brought to our attention and we're looking to get it resolved ASAP.
Thanks Eric

Not sure if it's because of the bad link or the bodies out of approval. Steve Pond posted something in the roar forums tthat pretty made it seem its your fault - which I thought was bogus
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Hey all: I've got a comment and a question about this event.
1ST: Nice to see Ralph Burche Jr. back running electric on-road again.
2ND: Why does there always seem to be a lot more interest in the ROAR carpet Nationals rather than the paved nationals? Is it simply carpet racing is more popular in the USA or is it just a fun way to pass the time during the cold and snowy winter. Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Okay guys, Due to some pit table rearranging,We are able to take 8 more racers.
If you want to get in, I suggest you get on the waiting list ASAP.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777
2ND: Why does there always seem to be a lot more interest in the ROAR carpet Nationals rather than the paved nationals? Is it simply carpet racing is more popular in the USA or is it just a fun way to pass the time during the cold and snowy winter. Thanks
First you have to remember that most of the country experiences winter for at least half the year. Second you have to realize that the highest traction asphalt racing will still have less traction than the highest carpet racing. Thus, on average, carpet racing will be at a higher traction level for weekly club racing than the average asphalt racing surface. Also, carpet tracks in the past tended to be smoother than asphalt tracks and they tend to be "cleaner" (tire wear vs. dust). Finally, tire wear is less on carpet, even with having to cut tires down due to the increased traction in comparison to asphalt racing; remember that tire size is relative. You reach a point with asphalt racing were the tires can get too small to provide enough grip even though they are still relatively "big" compared to what you would use on carpet. Add all of this up and you get the basis for why carpet racing is the norm throughout most of the country for electric on-road racing.

Now as to the history of how that transformation took place: hmmm, having to do a lot of recall here as things are beginning to get fuzzy in the memory department, lol. It was back around 79' - 81' that carpet started to rival asphalt for the predominate surface for electric racing. Realize during that time frame the only electric class that exited was 12th on-road, 10th electric off road didn't really get going until 82'. Roughly between 82' - 86' it was a split affair as there were 3 major asphalt races (including the only Roar Nationals) and three major carpet races. For the asphalt races you had the Roar Asphalt Nationals, the Red Lobster Classic, and the Trinity Shoot-out if memory serves me correctly. For the carpet races you had Cleveland, the Winter Nat's and one other that I don't remember right now, forming the "Triple crown". Even the World Championships reflected his shift as the first ever 12th World's were held in California on asphalt in 82' but the next two World's were held on carpet (overseas in 84' and Vegas in 86').

Attendance at the asphalt races waned while attendance at the carpet races soared (300-450 SINGLE entries were the norm). By 88' 12th and 10th scale electric on-road had pretty much become a carpet racing affair with 10th electric off road becoming the "outdoor" specialty, and that's the way it's primarily stayed ever since. Roar recognized the trend and somewhere in the 90's (when I was out of racing), the Roar carpet Nat's came into existence. For the past 12 years that I've been back into racing the Roar Carpet Nat's have typically had roughly double, to even triple the entries of the Roar Asphalt Nat's.

Last edited by darnold; 02-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Originally Posted by b-man777
I think your question #2 is a good question and deserves to be in its own thread and not here. This thread is nice for people finding out the latest and greatest happenings at this race and don't want to sift through posts that don't apply to them.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

For anyone still looking for Roar's response on the ability to run 17.5 at the nats, see: http://roarracing.org/4rmb/showthrea...l-events/page4
Old 02-18-2013, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

In Case you missed Al's post.

We rearranged some stuff and added a table.

There are 6 more pit spots available.

If you want to come to the Nats enter quickly.

We currently have 112 individuals entered in the race and 199 total entries. I think that number will go up though.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:19 AM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Thanks for all the hardwork to the Horsham Crew thus far getting the pits arranged and getting everyone in you can fit! Not to mention all the upgrades to the place that have taken place the past few months! Looking forward to visiting and getting my tail kicked by you all! LOL

EA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.