Search
Like Tree68Likes

Tamiya TA05 Touring Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Darkseid
Thanks for the tips about the diffs. My next move will definitely be to replace the balls. I wish all cars came with carbide diff balls like my Schumacher's used to. Does Tamiya make a harder version of their diff balls?
Someone asked b4 but do you actually have the machined diff halves?
Old 03-24-2006, 08:52 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

since everyones talking about diffs I have one question and one thing to offer>

I have foundin 100% of instances when I buy a used car that the diffs have 20x more grease on the rings and balls then is required and so they are all super tightened down, but the diffs still slip!! Some one else said just a little dab in each hole is all that it takes and its true!! My diffs are smooth as can be, last a long time and I LOAD the thrust with as much black grease or AW grease (I am still deciding which is better) as I can pack in there, but only a drop in every hole for the diff balls. Then after that its about being patient and slowly working the diffs tighter and counter-roatating, tighter, counter rotate and NEVER drive a lap on the track with a loose diff.

Now my question, are the stock and precision diffs holding up to modified?

I am reserving my Novak GTB and 5.5 Velociti for the Xenon TA05. Car will have dbl diffs since I plan rubber or foams on carpet with this car.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rayhuang

Now my question, are the stock and precision diffs holding up to modified?

I had the stock diffs fail with silver cans...material is so soft and they spread causing the universal to pop out.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:02 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by madjack
I had the stock diffs fail with silver cans...material is so soft and they spread causing the universal to pop out.
NICE!!! I think the one I am getting comes with two precision diffs. I just need the EvoIV kingpin ballstuds (on b/o of course) and its ready for foam action. Ive never driven modified with rubber tires-It should be a riotous and Ugly first outing!!
Old 03-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a TA05 with the light weight suspension. The car works great but the driver is a little off.

The problem I am having is the suspension shafts seem to bend very easily. With only a minor hit they get a slight bend and it adversly effect the handling of the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas for a fix?
Old 03-24-2006, 09:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MikeR
Someone asked b4 but do you actually have the machined diff halves?
yep, 53849
Old 03-24-2006, 09:17 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Right now, I'm using all stock diff parts(balls, rings outdrives, etc...) with just a little grease on the balls(using the 'put the grease between your fingers and rub the diff balls between your fingers' method that I use with all my cars). Its just not very smooth. Even when the diffs were first built, I noticed that they weren't exactly the smoothest I had ever felt, and certainly not as smooth as my old F201 diffs.

I'll just start over with new balls and rings and see what that nets me. But like I said, even right out the box, they weren't anything special smoothness/concistency wise, so I'll be surprised if theres any stark improvement.
Old 03-24-2006, 09:53 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Steven Key
I have a TA05 with the light weight suspension. The car works great but the driver is a little off.

The problem I am having is the suspension shafts seem to bend very easily. With only a minor hit they get a slight bend and it adversly effect the handling of the car.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Any ideas for a fix?
I bend severals already, and since my LHS doesn't have Tamiya 49.7mm shaft, I bought Serpent 710 50mm shaft and it fit perfectly. The best part: it's MUCH STRONGER than Tamiya shaft.. HAHA
Old 03-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rayhuang
I am reserving my Novak GTB and 5.5 Velociti for the Xenon TA05. Car will have dbl diffs since I plan rubber or foams on carpet with this car.
Me and my friend both using stock diff in mod race last weekend. His front diff failed in Qualify1 (lucky for him), and my front diff failed in Final3 (in the very last 30sec ). So I would say: use high-precision diff for mod. Don't even try stock diff in mod unless it's only for practice.

Very bad experience for me, my pain is your gain...
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 AM
Tech Master

Talking RE: DIFF

Thanks for the tips about the diffs. My next move will definitely be to replace the balls. I wish all cars came with carbide diff balls like my Schumacher's used to. Does Tamiya make a harder version of their diff balls?
One last note on diffs. Use ceramic balls and atlas diff covers and your diffs will last twice as long and you can reuse the ceramic balls even after it's time to replace the plates!
Just my 2$
Old 03-24-2006, 10:33 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ttso
Me and my friend both using stock diff in mod race last weekend. His front diff failed in Qualify1 (lucky for him), and my front diff failed in Final3 (in the very last 30sec ). So I would say: use high-precision diff for mod. Don't even try stock diff in mod unless it's only for practice.

Very bad experience for me, my pain is your gain...
If your not running TCS try THESE

But I think These are better ones.............
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Tech Adept

Default ta05 diffs

Hey all I just got some 3 racing aluminum diff halfs for my car and they seem pretty nice. They dont use the little retaining clips on the ends, but they use some large plastic covers to help eliminate slop and wear. I do like the precision diffs that tamiya makes but the problem is with the light weight suspension not being as strong as the old one, if I break a c hub or steering knuckle I pop the retaining clip of and crack the diff half, at 15.00 a set it gets expensive. The 3 racing diff halfs are aluminum and the only cost 12.00. I will save my tamiya halfs for tamiya races, and run the aluminum ones for club racing.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Right now, I'm using all stock diff parts(balls, rings outdrives, etc...) with just a little grease on the balls(using the 'put the grease between your fingers and rub the diff balls between your fingers' method that I use with all my cars). Its just not very smooth. Even when the diffs were first built, I noticed that they weren't exactly the smoothest I had ever felt, and certainly not as smooth as my old F201 diffs.

I'll just start over with new balls and rings and see what that nets me. But like I said, even right out the box, they weren't anything special smoothness/concistency wise, so I'll be surprised if theres any stark improvement.
Yeah, I wouldn't even bother replacing the balls and rings until you get the precision diff because they will become rough quickly as well.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:01 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by mrodney
Hey all I just got some 3 racing aluminum diff halfs for my car and they seem pretty nice. They dont use the little retaining clips on the ends, but they use some large plastic covers to help eliminate slop and wear.

Do they require anything else? LIke different diff bolt or rings or anything?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
Tech Adept

hey ray. No they use all of your tamiya hardware without a problem. I ran them for the 1st time tuesday and had no problems. I got the 12.00 ones of the ebay guy, I don,t see how the 36.00 ones can be that much better.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.