Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Take it easy on ROAR guys

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

What I would like to see is an actual campaining process, not a 3 month (and no disrespesct intended) "Vote For Gabe" vs. the Established president and such. Why not require that the people who will run for a specific office must be named 6-months previous to the actual voting, that way you eliminate many of the "I didn't get my ballott in time" problems. It's also been said that on-line voting should be allowed as well. Finally, Some have said that ROAR needs their own scoring system, and to a point I agree and disagree. If it's something simple such as a purchased version of some sort of scoring software (such as Autoscore or RC Scoring Pro) on an inexpensive laptop (you know, the kind you can get for between $700-$1000) and train several members of the Exxcomm how to use it.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Thanks to those who have posted some good ideas.

I definately agree with the suggestions for campaigning and voting. In fact, the truth is that it makes me realize even more as a ROAR member I need to be involved in the voting process. I suppose I'm one of the 95% who figured someone who knows more will vote for the right person. I don't have a freakin clue who the persons in the ExComm are or what they intend to do to make things better even though I usually read most of the srticles in Rev-Up. You can bet I will look into it now.

Sometimes good things can come from bad experiences. Even though I wasn't too thrilled about your sarcasm Mike (Tempest2000), your points confirm even more what areas need improving. For those that don't know, Michael Skeen (Tempest2000) is a great racer and the owner of Thunder R/C products which makes the best magnet zapper to ever hit the r/c market.

I would gladly pay an extra $5 on my membership per year if ROAR could then afford to hire someone like Scotty Earnst or Mike Boylan and budget a little extra money for temporary employees to help with National races. Seems that it would be a very good investment to have the host track line up non-r/c temps maybe even from a temp agency for 3-4 days to run tech. You could give them a quick training on how to tech the cars and tell them if there's any discrepancy to call for the on-site ROAR rep to make the judgement call iff needed. Hire women that couldn't give a sheot less about r/c and totally unbiased- I guarantee they would do exactly what you tell them to do.

Which brings me to another idea- ROAR should have a bank of two-way radios for the ROAR crew, hired tech crew and host track crew employees. The SCCA has a TON of radios they use at the events.

Dedicated laptop for the races and backup AMB system- superb idea!! This should hav been done ages ago!!! Heck, our local club that seldom has more than 30 entries just bought our own dedicated HP laptop to run the races!! We got a deal on a nice laptop for $500 and loaded our RC Scoring Pro on it. It doesn't have a bunch of BS loaded on it and runs like a champ. Not only that, but it would be relatively inexpensive to have an external hard drive that constantly backs up the data. An AMB decoder and cable on hand that travels with the laptop is a nobrainer. Less chance of problems by having back-up equipment.
Old 03-23-2005, 01:41 PM
Tech Elite

Great post BigDog. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2005, 02:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Jason,

I wish I could have said it another way, but if you had been there you would understand my frustration.

I am all for the roar positions being paid positions. If that's what it takes to have people in office that will do the job.
I don't think charging more for roar membership is a problem for most people if they get something in return i.e. GREAT races for the regionals and nats instead of what we just experienced.

$.02

Michael
Old 03-23-2005, 03:00 PM
Tech Lord

OK, so how many of you guys are running for Vice President? Also up for election are the odd number regional directors. I expect to see at least 3 candidates for each region.

Oh, can someone tell me how many tracks put in bids for the carpet national?
Old 03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Tech Elite

I think we need ROAR, but there are clearly some issues that need to addressed.

I have run races and it is a thankless job.

Last edited by RC Scoring Pro; 03-23-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:23 PM
Tech Adept

Default ROAR accessibility

The entire ExCom's contact info is posted on the ROAR website. We are all available.

Rick Wilson, ROAR President
[email protected]
Old 03-23-2005, 04:55 PM
Tech Adept

Rick, can you answer my email from two weeks or more ago?

Best Regards,
Old 03-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Tech Elite

Norcca's website that has an invalid email address. Good luck getting a hold of them!

Last edited by RC Scoring Pro; 03-23-2005 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 05:13 PM
Tech Adept

Default nimble

I'm sorry if you did not get a response. It may have gotten missed, as you can imagine I get quite a few emails every day.

I'm not sure the email address associated with the email.

Please resend and I will be happy to reply.

To all -- I am online almost all day every weekday. Emails are a much better way to contact me than telephone.

Rick
Old 03-23-2005, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RC Scoring Pro
There is a big thread on www.teamtrinity.com (Tech Talk) about how the Off Road nats were given to a club that wasn't even a ROAR member. The Region 12 director was so mad he quit!

Doug... that is not true. My home number is 480 699 4722. And, my email is [email protected]

I would like to speak to you anyway.. regarding your software and a few questions.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Rick and Dawn- thanks for posting. I hope you see that this thread is meant for positive gain and improved planning since there are plenty of threads for people to bitch. I have more ideas some of which I have posted in the past. If I remember correctly they were noticed but never implemented. I know there is ALWAYS more to what's going on in the background and issues that are unavoidable, some that regular Joe's like myself will never hear about, so maybe some of these great ideas and suggestions can't be implemented, but I would imagine some can...

Michael- I understand. And you're right I would probably understand better had I been there.

Rick- I certainly didn't mean that you weren't qualified to be the paid president of ROAR. The truth is, I have no idea of your experience, talents etc. However, with that said, I'm sure you agree that whether it be you, Scotty, someone else in r/c, or even an outsider like the last president of the SCCA, we all want what's best for the organization as a whole.

From what I understand EFRA is well organized. Perhaps ROAR could take a long look at the key points that make EFRA work well. Maybe ROAR could hire a consultant to temporarily come in and work out some of the rough spots- I'm not in a position or knowlegable of all behind the scenes action to say what's best, but somebody has it.

Here's a thought on the 2006 Carpet Nats- if there aren't enough applicants, then there must be a reason. No information, horror stories like Hobby Chamber, doubt of the ablilty to pull off an event like the Nats without suggestions and help, whatever. Maybe they're unwilling to put that much work into an event that potentially might not pay well. I don't know, but couldn't you compile a history outlining the profits and growth other tracks have experienced? I mean, maybe there NEEDS to be more support. Don't you have a list of the ROAR affiliated carpet tracks all over the country? Seems to me that you should literally have so many applications that you could pick the part of the country to hold the race- not give it to the only track that applies.
Old 03-23-2005, 06:59 PM
Tech Lord

If ther was something you didn't like at the worlds in Florida, don't blame ROAR. World championships are run by IFMAR.

European racers look at RC racing completely different than we do. What works for EFRA won't work in the US.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:32 PM
Tech Elite

Jim - you are right! It wasn't ROAR, it was IFMAR. The IFMAR rules stated the results had to be made publically available and they were not. My dad just got diagnosed with Dimensia (sp?), I think I must have it already as well!

I have been to three ROAR Nationals, one at Twin City Hobbies, one at Trackside and one this last summer at TriClone, all three were smooth as can be. Especially the one at TriClone, run by Scotty Ernst.
Old 03-23-2005, 08:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by jiml
If ther was something you didn't like at the worlds in Florida, don't blame ROAR. World championships are run by IFMAR.
Yeah! Don't blame ROAR they didnt even send a representative to the Worlds! This is the first time in the History of ROAR that there was a US Worlds with no ROAR officials present.

FYI, I just got my Rev Up today...post marked 3/19/05.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.