R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Opinions on favorite motor builders? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/66225-opinions-favorite-motor-builders.html)

L.Fairtrace 03-22-2005 10:22 AM

I dont want to toot our own horn but if your looking for stock or 19 turn motors Express is definatley a good choice. I think anyone that went to the Nats this weekend will attest that all the express cars had rediculous rip.

MManson 03-22-2005 10:31 AM

this past sunday my buddy gave me a brand new fantom motor (monster stock tuned)

it was utter crap. I'm glad i didnt buy it.
it broke in really odd, and it looked like it never got any tuning done to it at all...
for it to run right I had to run it on a lathe, and drop in new brushes... then it woke up... but Isn't the "tuner company" supposed to do that to their motors?

I usually just buy the handout chrome can purple endbell 27 turn motors and do the work myself...

Ive heard good things from people about Putnam who were at Coopers.

dgullickson 03-22-2005 10:35 AM

Originally posted by MManson
this past sunday my buddy gave me a brand new fantom motor (monster stock tuned)

it was utter crap. I'm glad i didnt buy it.
it broke in really odd, and it looked like it never got any tuning done to it at all...
for it to run right I had to run it on a lathe, and drop in new brushes... then it woke up... but Isn't the "tuner company" supposed to do that to their motors?

I usually just buy the handout chrome can purple endbell 27 turn motors and do the work myself...

Ive heard good things from people about Putnam who were at Coopers.

Yes they should. Heres what I posted before that we do to our motors:

We all have our favorite motors we buy and who we like to buy from. So I wont tell you mine are the best I will simply answer your question as to what we do:

-We first check the Magnetic field and log into an Excell sheet
-Magnets are Zapped using a Team 1 Magnet Zapper
-Magnetic field is then taken again and results are logged giving me a percentage in the increase of the Magnets.
-We then turn the comms
-Polish Bushing and Armature shafts using a special creme I found.
-We then put motor together and center armature in the can using the magnetic field and then shimming.
- We then install brushes and springs (tension being the same on both sides for even brush wear), lube the bushings and spin it up @ 2 volts for 60 seconds.
- Pull brushes out and align by brush wear not by an alignment tool. You get better contact doing it this way to make sure the brush is wearing evenly from the top left corner of brush to the bottom right and vica versa.
- Once hoods are aligned we then break the brushes in fully @ 2 volts for 300 seconds.
-Stiffer spring now goes on the positive side.
- Motor then sits for atleast an hour to room tempature and is run again for 30 seconds @ 2 volts, and is then put on the Dyno for results.

There is a bit more I do to my stock motors that I keep to myself and I can gaurantee it is nothing illegal, infact all our motors are ROAR legal and meet all standards of ROAR and soon we will be an affiliate of ROAR... This is just how we do our motors and is our opinion.

syndr0me 03-22-2005 11:46 AM

Less chance of getting a dog, less chance of getting a real gem? That sounds okay, and worth the extra money alone. But, what are the odds of either of those really happening? Would any of the tuners care to disclose the numbers, on say a batch of 100 motors, of how many are sold as "sport" motors, how many are saved for team drivers, and how many are sold to the masses?

I've had good luck with the tuned motors I got from EA, and I love the life and wear characteristics of his F-brushes. I can't say that I've noticed it being significantly faster than my non-tuned stock motors, but as you said, I feel confident at that point that the motor isn't getting in my way, and only I can be to blame for sucking.

You can also learn to do some of this stuff yourself, both for maintenance reasons and/or tuning your own stuff. Power to the people. :-D

Edit: To be fair, most of my driving with the EA motor was on a short/small track. I suspect it would have a better chance to shine on a larger track. Either way, the quality of the work and the awesome brushes were worth the cost on their own. Being faster is a fringe benefit, at least in club racing.

dgullickson 03-22-2005 12:15 PM

I dont save any for my team drivers, they get what others can buy.

polesitter61 03-22-2005 12:46 PM

I have sent e-mails to Putnam and EA with no replies, been 5 days since I e-mailed EA and 3 since I e-mailed Putnam. I'm not getting impaitient, I know you guys are busy, just waiting to here back from you on the info I requested. Thanks again!:)

A_Stratus 03-22-2005 01:47 PM

I run High Velocity... greats stuff! Very happy with it. I am currently using there Hurricane motor (monster based)

You can contact John (owner of HV) at [email protected] and I'm sure he will get back to you by tonight. Or pm him, his name is johnny boy :nod:

dgullickson 03-22-2005 01:52 PM

Originally posted by polesitter61
I have sent e-mails to Putnam and EA with no replies, been 5 days since I e-mailed EA and 3 since I e-mailed Putnam. I'm not getting impaitient, I know you guys are busy, just waiting to here back from you on the info I requested. Thanks again!:)
Maybe they are just swamped? I know I answer mine real fast as I hear it chime when an e-mail comes in.

Bluey_74 03-22-2005 02:12 PM

New magnets

This seems like a decent place to bring it up, seeing as its viewed by some motor guru's.
IF the statement proves to be correct, that they will allow "Rare earth" magnets, (such as Cobalt Neodinium,etc, ) to compete with Brushless. (edit: I have seen more than 1 post throughout this forum stating or commenting that this is an option being considered)

Like i said, IF the proposal/idea goes ahead

What sort of performance gain will we see?

Is it just goint to be more torque?
or longer lasting magnets, less heat fade,

And any idea regarding $$?

How will this affect stocck racing? is there a BL motor thats comparable to a normal 27t fixed can stocker?

Any motor builders or manufactures care to comment?

Steve Bahnatka 03-22-2005 02:27 PM

Team Trinity/Epic has a lot of hp. just look up who won stock touring at the birds..Jeff Cuffs-team trinity

17driver 03-22-2005 02:39 PM

Originally posted by polesitter61
EA always answers my emails right away.Putnam does not answer e-mails.If you want anything from Putnam your only chance is to call them.

Steve Bahnatka 03-22-2005 02:46 PM

polesitter61: email [email protected] if you need nice(fast) motors

TeamButter 03-22-2005 02:58 PM

I think he might want a FAST motor not necessarily 'Nice" motrs....LOL!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dgullickson 03-22-2005 02:59 PM

Originally posted by TeamButter
I think he might want a FAST motor not necessarily 'Nice" motrs....LOL!!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
LMAO!!!! True True!

Todd Putnam 03-22-2005 03:10 PM

mmanson Thanks for the endorsement...

polesitter: We were away last week at the ROAR Carpet On Road Nats. Make sure you include something in the subject line re: R/C. We receive about 300 emails a day, 50% of which are junk mail that just gets deleted. If the subject line isn't business/ R/C related, (or if it's left blank) I'll never get to read it.

17driver: Your statement is false. We do in fact respond to the 100's of daily emails we receive, it just takes us a very long time. I do agree with your statement that your best bet is to call us. We can talk and work at the same time, but we certainly cannot type and work at the same time...

As for our quality, the results speak for themselves:
On Road
1/12
-Snowbirds: 1st the last 3 years in a row
-'05 Cleveland: 1st
-'05 On Road Nats: 1st

Sedan
-'05 Carpet Nats: Stock TQ
-'05 Carpet Nats: 19 turn 2nd and 3rd, (with 5 out of 10 running Putnam Propulsion)

Oval
'05 Snowbirds: TQ Stock
Snowbirds 19 turn: Undefeated first 5 years in a row (then they switched to a handout)

Offroad:
'04 Stock Nats: 1st and 2nd

That's the most current results for the laydown brush categories. Hope this helps...

Todd Putnam
Putnam Propulsion
ww.putnampropulsion.com
518-452-0422