R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Opinions on favorite motor builders? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/66225-opinions-favorite-motor-builders.html)

polesitter61 03-14-2005 06:32 PM

Opinions on favorite motor builders?

I want to step up my motor program for sedan racing, I'm a club racer right now but I always want to have good equipment so the only excuse for losing is me (and that's usually it most of the time). I run stock or 19t depending on the turn out at our club, I see a lot of different builders on this site (EA, BrOOd, Pardigm, Brahma, ect.) and want you guys opinions on your favorite builders. Thanks!

ChadCapece 03-14-2005 06:39 PM

Team High Velocity builds some great stock, 19, and stock motors. Their stock motors are some of the fastest, and have won many races. Not to mention that their prices are extremely low for the quality of product you get. http://www.teamhighvelocity.com/

Racin_James 03-14-2005 06:52 PM

Eric Anderson has proven to show well with his motor series. There is an EA thread on here. You just have to find someone you trust. I have run Kisbey, Fantom, KC, Wimpy, EA, and Racetech back in the day.
I can not say one is better than the other. Just different.

koabich 03-14-2005 07:34 PM

I have had good succes with Fantom.
I have had great sucess with Putnam, Paradigm, Big Jim and Team Brood.
I have not tried anyone else other than stock Reedy, Trinity, Epic and Orion.

protc3 03-14-2005 07:51 PM

ive tried EA and had excelent results.i also run Team scream,genesis,and Express and have had excelent results with all of them.seems like alot of the motor builders have it down real well.almost seems like you cant go wrong.:nod:

Lance72RC 03-14-2005 07:51 PM

I've had really good success with RIP Motorsports, EA Motorsports, Team 1, Banzai. All of these have been good for me. I also hear Brood, Kinetix, Putnam and Kisbey are very good motors as well.

Rod M 03-14-2005 09:21 PM

seriously, what is the difference between these "tuned" motors and a regular "un-tuned" version,

for example:
I go and buy a Monster stock from Tower for $24.99 and tune it myself ,
or I could go and buy a "tuned" Monster stock for up to $40.00

we have to Re-tune our motors every 6 or so runs anyway

what exactly do these Tuners do?
and would there be that much of a difference from doing it ourselves?

I understand that every now and then there would be a couple of Freak motors that pull BS numbers, but they would be given to team drivers right?

brians11 03-14-2005 09:56 PM

Just a note on the re-tuning every few runs, I ran the same brushes w/out turning the comm for 9 runs this past weekend @ the Texas State Champs in 19t sedan with no power loss, actually gained slightly on RPM and HP using Brahma's Cryptkeeper brush....

TeamButter 03-14-2005 10:17 PM

EA Motorsports....with Eric's knowledge and attention to detail as well as EA's excellent customer service and warranty, you just can't go wrong with an EA Motorsports motor!!:nod: :nod:

P.S. EA's batteries are definitely some of the best in the business.... During the first week of use (Snowbirds 05') both of EA's drivers made the A-main in Touring as well as a couple of drivers in oval!!:nod: :nod:

dontfeelcold 03-14-2005 10:28 PM

The only difference is the sticker, springs and brushes each company decides to put on them. If you buy a "tuned" motor you have less chance of getting a good motor as the majority of the better motors would more than likely be kept for the companies various drivers. In saying that there is less chance of getting a dud motor.

Originally posted by Rod M
seriously, what is the difference between these "tuned" motors and a regular "un-tuned" version,

for example:
I go and buy a Monster stock from Tower for $24.99 and tune it myself ,
or I could go and buy a "tuned" Monster stock for up to $40.00

we have to Re-tune our motors every 6 or so runs anyway

what exactly do these Tuners do?
and would there be that much of a difference from doing it ourselves?

I understand that every now and then there would be a couple of Freak motors that pull BS numbers, but they would be given to team drivers right?

kidDynomite 03-15-2005 06:34 AM

Originally posted by dontfeelcold
The only difference is the sticker, springs and brushes each company decides to put on them. If you buy a "tuned" motor you have less chance of getting a good motor as the majority of the better motors would more than likely be kept for the companies various drivers. In saying that there is less chance of getting a dud motor.
There's a lot more to it than that. Tuning guys have their reputation on the line with every motor they put out. If it isn't better than a the original manufacturer's then what's the point? And the word gets around.

My Fantom Limited Edition Stock Motor (Silver) ran like a 19T down the straights. I Turbo Dynoed it and tried every spring combo, brush combo and modded brush combos etc. and that took a good 2.5-3hrs. and I ended up going back to the original Fantom tuned set-up. I couldn't beat their combination of springs and brushes. But even with my other brush/springs combo's, the numbers were still better than my other original manufacturer's motors.

- Dyno-tuned with printout
- Re-balanced armature to modified armature balance specs
- Diamond trued commutator
- Re-zapped magnets
- Re-shimmed
- Polished Recessed bushings and shaft

So there's a lot more effort in these motors than one may think. And to me, that effort is worth paying for.

Ozwald Bates 03-15-2005 07:36 AM

All the companies and people listed on this thread are top notch but EA Motorsports is hard to beat in my opinion, great support and the fact he's a hardcore racer himself keeps him in the "know" as far as what racers want. Not that there's a thing wrong with any of the other companies being recommened, I just like the fact the motor is coming from someone who's an actual racer (and pretty good at that) and not just a motor builder.

whoopass 03-15-2005 07:55 AM

Personally here in the UK I would say that Demon Power products make the best stock motor on the market. Nick at Demon balances the arm, zaps the magnets, trues the comm, aligns the brush hoods, changes the springs etc....

All for the same price as the one from Trinity that aint even balanced!

I would 100% buy a motor from a tuner rather than one off the shelf in my local hobby store.

DavidAlford 03-15-2005 07:58 AM

I'd like to add that everything we have is done in house. Nothing is sent out for other companies to do it for us.

dgullickson 03-15-2005 08:28 AM

We all have our favorite motors we buy and who we like to buy from. So I wont tell you mine are the best I will simply answer your question as to what we do:

-We first check the Magnetic field and log into an Excell sheet
-Magnets are Zapped using a Team 1 Magnet Zapper
-Magnetic field is then taken again and results are logged giving me a percentage in the increase of the Magnets.
-We then turn the comms
-Polish Bushing and Armature shafts using a special creme I found.
-We then put motor together and center armature in the can using the magnetic field and then shimming.
- We then install brushes and springs (tension being the same on both sides for even brush wear), lube the bushings and spin it up @ 2 volts for 60 seconds.
- Pull brushes out and align by brush wear not by an alignment tool. You get better contact doing it this way to make sure the brush is wearing evenly from the top left corner of brush to the bottom right and vica versa.
- Once hoods are aligned we then break the brushes in fully @ 2 volts for 300 seconds.
-Stiffer spring now goes on the positive side.
- Motor then sits for atleast an hour to room tempature and is run again for 30 seconds @ 2 volts, and is then put on the Dyno for results.

There is a bit more I do to my stock motors that I keep to myself and I can gaurantee it is nothing illegal, infact all our motors are ROAR legal and meet all standards of ROAR and soon we will be an affiliate of ROAR... This is just how we do our motors and is our opinion.