Search
Like Tree19Likes

Serpent Cobra GT-E

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I have done some work on getting a longer motor fitted to my GTe
I looked at the steering pivots and saw they were leaning backwards at an angle due to the steering rack mount (600167) being machined at an angle
I removed the Steering rack mount and turned it upside down and refitted the pivots , This caused the arms to sit 90' with the chassis I can now fit a motor with a 74mm length with about 3mm clearance still Some minor shaving of some plastic was needed. I also had to redrill the 2 holes on the top mount for the screws going into the top of the pivots

Old 04-05-2015, 12:02 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Dang! Finally someone with some creativity! Great job Pieter! Just ordered mine, I plan on expanding the motor space as well!
Old 04-05-2015, 03:40 AM
C@T
Tech Adept

Have a look at this mod:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SerpentGTElectric/
Old 04-10-2015, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Just bought serpent cobra gt-e rtr,suggest batteries

Hello there,I'm a new to rc car just bought a serpent cobra gt-e rtr and what types of batteries for this rc car should I ready? Just for normal play
Old 04-10-2015, 07:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by D.a.v.e
I've seen some pic's that the nitro version is coming as a 2.0 now, so it would make sense that we start seeing them soon as well.
What types if batteries that you using for your rtr version ? 2s/3s/4s?
Old 04-10-2015, 07:14 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jackey0213
I use 2 standard 2s lipo hard case packs......right now I am using a pair of Turnigy 5000mah 40c packs and they are fine.....I am planning on getting some 7200mah 60c for racing this season
Old 04-10-2015, 08:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by utah300rum
I use 2 standard 2s lipo hard case packs......right now I am using a pair of Turnigy 5000mah 40c packs and they are fine.....I am planning on getting some 7200mah 60c for racing this season
Hello there ,how long for there 5000mah 40c for you used?
Old 04-11-2015, 09:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I use 2 x 3c packs. It can be hard to find ones that fit. I'm using some zippy packs and had to raise the battery doors with body mount extensions to make them work. I find 5000mah packs get me through a 7 min race. If your not racing and just playing they would last 15-20 min depending how you drive.

If your not thinking of racing I would look for something in the range of 7000 mah 2s. Don't worry to much about c rating as long as it's in the 40 range. They will give you about the same run time as above. Take a look at hobbyking. If your want to race my suggestion might be more specific and would point you to something higher price then hobby king packs.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I use 2 x 3c packs. It can be hard to find ones that fit. I'm using some zippy packs and had to raise the battery doors with body mount extensions to make them work. I find 5000mah packs get me through a 7 min race. If your not racing and just playing they would last 15-20 min depending how you drive.

If your not thinking of racing I would look for something in the range of 7000 mah 2s. Don't worry to much about c rating as long as it's in the 40 range. They will give you about the same run time as above. Take a look at hobbyking. If your want to race my suggestion might be more specific and would point you to something higher price then hobby king packs.
Hey there,thanks for the info I think I might get my batteries pack at hobbyking as well,for those who using 4s or above do you think the stock motor can be work too (racing matter)
Old 04-12-2015, 05:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey there,thanks for the info I think I might get my batteries pack at hobbyking as well,for those who using 4s or above do you think the stock motor can be work too (racing matter)
If your new to racing the stock motor will work fine for you initially. You may want to get a sensored set up if you decide you like it.

If your racing look at what other folks have that work for them. We had a few stock setups come to our track and they were fine. The problem I've seen is with folks melting the small bullet connectors in the battery packs and then melting esc's (I think a weak bec might be the culprit?).
Old 04-12-2015, 07:05 AM
Tech Rookie

If your new to racing the stock motor will work fine for you initially. You may want to get a sensored set up if you decide you like it.

If your racing look at what other folks have that work for them. We had a few stock setups come to our track and they were fine. The problem I've seen is with folks melting the small bullet connectors in the battery packs and then melting esc's (I think a weak bec might be the culprit?).
A brand new stock serpent cobra gt-e should ok with 2s/3s/4s batteries? So I should try with 2s first 4000mah above and it should be for training first for a newbie driver,hehe~
Old 05-26-2015, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Thought I would bump the thread and give some info on our racing here in UT

We have had a pretty good group of Nitro GT racers here in Ut for several years. After I started taking over as race director I did not have the time to keep my Nitro GT running where I wanted and quit racing to run the race program.

This year another racer decided to go against the grain and built a Serpent GTe Kit to race....... I thought this was my chance to maybe get some race time again and decided grab one as well. He built a team kit and I bought a new RTR roller from a chop shop online.

Mine was the RTR chassis so I went thru the chassis and used lock-tite and just double checked the build which was pretty good for RTR standards. I installed the Hobbywing M5B combo with the Xerun 150a ESC and 4038SD 2250kv motor. I am running 2-2s 7200 SMC lipo's. I had a Savox servo laying around so I threw that in.

On the first race night my car was loose in the rear end, Ty one of our local Serpent Drivers came over and set my front droop and raised my roll center. The car felt better but still loose in the rear I was running sweep 50's and it was pretty cool nigh in the high 50 to low 60's F..... so Ty threw a set of his Sweep 45's on the back and the car was hooked up. I was running an 18t pinion and on our track the car was very very quick and quite a handful. I decided to step down to a 16t pinion until I get more familiar with the car then will work my way back up. Even at the 16t pinion I have no lack in top end and can still pace the faster modded nitro cars or slightly gain ground on the more standard powered nitro cars on the straight away.

My car is still running the box stock diff oil, shock oil and all the factory adjustment besides the droop and roll center and the car has felt very good. I know many people who put down RTR kits but mine has been great even Ty and the other GTe driver felt my car handled very well. Not bad for a RTR car that cost me under $500 to get on the track, I'm into the car $255 for the roller $210 for the Hobbywing Combo. I am curious to see how a full RTR Serpent GTe would handle since I have made so few changes to setup.

With 3 race nights under my belt so far my lack of drive time over the last 3 years as race director is really showing. Hopefully I can get enough drive time to do the car justice.

I am excited to see more guys looking at joining our GT racing program... I think historically many racers have been hesitant to grab a nitro GT and I am betting on some of these guys may feel more comfortable grabbing a GTe and with some luck our GT program will continue to grow.

Last edited by utah300rum; 05-26-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Selling my Cobra GTe car. Had a lot of fun racing it last summer, but the track I ran it at, covered the asphalt track with dirt for oval/offroad, so there's nowhere around to run it anymore. http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...e-gt8-car.html
Old 06-02-2015, 02:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Does anybody have a good setup for running the Cobra GT-e on asphalt?

I checked on Petitrc.com Setup sheet database and couldn't find any Cobra GT-e setups.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wwddww34
Does anybody have a good setup for running the Cobra GT-e on asphalt?

I checked on Petitrc.com Setup sheet database and couldn't find any Cobra GT-e setups.
Large sweeping track or med tight? I'll post my base setup for you but it's a med tight parking lot track

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.