R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   Serpent Cobra GT-E (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/655910-serpent-cobra-gt-e.html)

tha Beast 08-21-2012 01:55 PM

Serpent Cobra GT-E

didnt see a thread for this car so figured I'd start one
any body know a release date?

http://www.redrc.net/2012/08/serpent...it/#more-57478

Bhodi11 08-22-2012 12:26 PM

I preordered one from my LHS. I got a call yesterday that they received confirmation and it would be 2 weeks. Pretty excited as this will be my first onroad car. I really liked the electronics and battery layout as opposed to what everyone else is doing. Planning on running an Tekin RX8 and T8 1700kv or 1900kv.

tha Beast 08-22-2012 10:40 PM

cool dude!!
I'm really thinking of giving this car a shot also looks like it could be fun!

Voltron989 08-26-2012 12:47 AM

Planning to purchase this kit as soon as it becomes available but I don't even see it available for Pre-order anywhere at the moment. I'm not sure how you were able to Pre-order it when the car isn't available for Pre-order anywhere.
Considering your first post on rctech is to say you Pre-ordered a car that isn't available for Pre-order makes me doubt it. Maybe you told your LHS that you were interested in purchasing it and they told you it should be out in 2 weeks

1700-1900 are both way too slow for 1/8 on road unless your planning to run it over 4s but with the dual battery lay out of the cobra running anything besides 2x 2 cell packs would need to modify
A 2050 on 4s would be the least I would, anything else would be to slow for a GT8 car.

vtecboost 08-26-2012 09:13 AM

WOW this is on my radar now!!

Bhodi11 08-26-2012 09:29 PM

WOW, you are quite the sceptic. The owner of my LHS has a friend at DeSoto which is the US dist as you prob already know. They have shipment in route. He was able to get his name on one for me and was told by his friend they were expected in the next week and it should be in my eager hand in about two. Yes you are right nobody has them listed yet but that does not mean you cant order one.

I will be running mostly 2 x 3 cell, and already figure on losing the covers on the battery trays and coming up with an alternative to lock them down. One of the guys at Tekin recommended going with the 1700kv buggy motor vs the 1900kv as he said it would be much faster on 6s and run cooler. I was told the 2050kv was a no go on 6s as it tends to start generating it own power (or something like that) at high speeds and conflicts with the battery. Im also considering ordering a NEU motor. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and see what they recommend. If I could fit the XO-1 motor and MME I have in my SC8e I would use that in a heartbeat. It is insane.

Anyone have any thoughts on NEU other altenatives? Price is not really an issue and I am looking to make it as fast as freaking possible. I will mostly be parking lot bashing on a portable track and drag racing at our local weekly events.

Also found a great body for it from Deltaplastik. It is a 911 GT EVO and im hoping the wheelbase will be close enough to 325mm to work.

Voltron989 08-27-2012 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bhodi11 (Post 11139753)
WOW, you are quite the sceptic. The owner of my LHS has a friend at DeSoto which is the US dist as you prob already know. They have shipment in route. He was able to get his name on one for me and was told by his friend they were expected in the next week and it should be in my eager hand in about two. Yes you are right nobody has them listed yet but that does not mean you cant order one.

I will be running mostly 2 x 3 cell, and already figure on losing the covers on the battery trays and coming up with an alternative to lock them down. One of the guys at Tekin recommended going with the 1700kv buggy motor vs the 1900kv as he said it would be much faster on 6s and run cooler. I was told the 2050kv was a no go on 6s as it tends to start generating it own power (or something like that) at high speeds and conflicts with the battery. Im also considering ordering a NEU motor. I plan to give them a call tomorrow and see what they recommend. If I could fit the XO-1 motor and MME I have in my SC8e I would use that in a heartbeat. It is insane.

Anyone have any thoughts on NEU other altenatives? Price is not really an issue and I am looking to make it as fast as freaking possible. I will mostly be parking lot bashing on a portable track and drag racing at our local weekly events.

Also found a great body for it from Deltaplastik. It is a 911 GT EVO and im hoping the wheelbase will be close enough to 325mm to work.

I'm always skeptical on anything on the Internet :)
Either way I hope it is ready for release within 2 weeks so I can at least have a chance to try it out at the track before it closes up for the season

I really don't think the tekin 1700 4030 motor is the way to go, even on 6s the 1700 will be slower then a 2650 on 4s and temps will not be much different.
If you went with the 4038 1700(the larger truggy motor) your temps will be cooler and allow your to gear up more then a 4030 motor because of the extra torque but may still not be the speeds you are looking for.
A xo-1 motor 99% will not fit, it's way to big and if you think it will not over heat on 100 mph pulls think again. My friend has one and on a 95 degree day within 5 minutes of bashing his telemetry was over 190 degrees.
Even if you fit a large motor like the XO motor you may not be able to fit the gearing required to go over 100mph. The XO motor on 6s requires a final drive ratio of around 3.78 to 1 to do 100mph(46t spur / 34T pinion x 2.8 internal gear ratio) matching that in the cobra(especially with a center diff) may not be possible especially in stock form.

When I first bought my DM-1 the only thing I was interested in was to make it as fast as possible. I modified the spur gear holder to fit a 42T spur and put the biggest pinion gear that I was able to fit which was a 22T iirc, I installed a MMM 2650 combo, connected up a 6s battery and strapped a garmin gps onto it and hit 106mph.
I really wanted to hit 120mph, so I ordered a modified center drive to fit a 36T spur and give me space to go up higher on the pinion. By the time my parts came in I totally lost interest in going fast and became much more interested in racing the car so I never set it up for speed runs even though I have everything I need to do it.

IMHO the cobra is way to nice and expensive of a car to send off to go over 100mph. Chances are you will hit something or flip it doing so.
If you want a car just to do crazy speeds buy a cheap car for that.
Get a ofna GTP2e(1/3 the price of the cobra and it's pre built), purchase the 36T center drive(RC monster sells them) install a MMM 2650 combo and strap a 6S to it and as long as you can keep the car on the ground you should hit 115-120. just allow cool down between every couple runs. Keep the cobra for parking lot racing and anything else that doesn't involve going crazy speeds and for that I would go with tekin 2250 truggy motor w/ tekin RX8 on 4s. I've tried a lot of different motors and it's by far my favorite

Anyways good luck on your decision

Bhodi11 08-27-2012 11:24 AM

Great input, thanks. To clarify I have no real interest in top speed on long stretches of deserted road. I just want to go 0-infinity and beyond as quick as possible in 165ft, then hopefully be able to stop. I have a friend with a Motonica P81 RS Electron running an RX8 T8 1900kv setup that has yet to be beat by anyone in our neck of the woods. My logic was the torque of the 1700kv might provide faster launches but slower top speed which I realize.

The spec on the max motor size is 68mm according to Serpents description and looking at pics of the 811-be buggy it looks like people are barely squeezing in the T8 buggy motors. Definitely no way the XO-1 motor is going in, and a dremel certainly wont solve it :) I have had good luck with that motor in my SC8e though. I have not seen a temp over 150 and that is running it hard a couple packs in a row. Gearing is 29/44 and not sure of the internal ratio. My guess is it is getting much better airflow than it does in the XO-1 chassis.

I agree with you about Tekin, I run a RX8 T8 1900kv in my RC8.2e buggy and it is by and far the smoothest motor I have. Maybe it is because of being sensored, but it is awesome.

So back to the real dilemma I have more high quality 3S 6500mah packs and only a couple 2S 6500mah packs. Everything else is 4S 6500mah. That is why I want to run 6S because I am more likely to get 3S packs which is what I prefer in my buggy at the local track. The 4S is what I usually run in the SC8e for bashing. Since I plan to scrap my sons Rustler which I am tired of rebuilding the plastic POS and get him a SC8e of his own I will have less need for the couple 2S packs I have. But if 4s on a higher kv motor is the way to go that is what I will do. Plus I plan to get a DM1e for my son to run with me. Guess I got to factor that in as well. He is young like 5, so the Castle 2200kv and MM on 3S should be fun but not too fast for him with the right gearing. He can tear it up on the track with my buggy so he is not the average 5yo.

Do you have any thoughts on NEU motors? or any experience?

Voltron989 08-28-2012 07:04 AM

Oh your planning to drag race with it, makes sense now.
I have no idea about drag racing at all. A lot of local guys are into it and I believe they contact Steve neu and have him make custom motors for them.
Your logic makes sense about running the lower kv motors on 6s.
Id contact neu and see if he has a better option.

Until you pointed it out I had no idea that the max motor length on the cobra is 68mm, your right people barely fit the 4030 buggy motors(71mm) in the cobra be. I was hoping to use a 2250 4038 truggy motor but it's 5mm longer then the buggy motor so there no way it's going to fit. I guess my only 2 options are the 4030 2050 or the 2650. I have a tekin 2650 but it's a little bit over kill on the track plus motor temps are so much better with the 2250 truggy motor. Maybe I'll order a 2050 motor and see how that does

Toughbeard 08-28-2012 07:11 AM

GT-e s will be in stock soon. I have not ordered too many of them as the weather is fast changing here and people prefer nitro during winter time.

Bhodi11 08-28-2012 04:55 PM

I was just looking at the photos on Serpents site and they have every square millimeter of that chassis utilized. Basically no room to get creative. Hopefully I will have it next week and can get cracking on the build. I will post some pics and measurements.

tha Beast 08-28-2012 07:25 PM

do any of you guys know what the differences are between the Cobra E-buggy and this car I have a new ebuggy that I wanna covert??

Bhodi11 08-28-2012 09:09 PM

If you check out the manuals that can be found under downloads for both cars you can compare the part numbers on the exploded views. At a quick glance shocks and shock towers are different. Arms, chassis, Linkage, etc.. all are same part numbers. Looks like it would be an easy convert to me.

The nerd in me says copy the parts lists for both cars into a spreadsheet and sort by the part number column. Quick an easy to see what does not match up.

tha Beast 08-28-2012 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Bhodi11 (Post 11148510)
If you check out the manuals that can be found under downloads for both cars you can compare the part numbers on the exploded views. At a quick glance shocks and shock towers are different. Arms, chassis, Linkage, etc.. all are same part numbers. Looks like it would be an easy convert to me.

The nerd in me says copy the parts lists for both cars into a spreadsheet and sort by the part number column. Quick an easy to see what does not match up.

that's kinda what I thought, but please let the nerd in you post that spreadsheet for us, the nerd in you would be awesome for that;):D

Bhodi11 08-29-2012 12:37 PM

Just got the word from my LHS. Paul at Serpent America says there is a delay and it is going to be two more weeks, so middle of September. No big surprise I guess. Just picked up a DM-1e to play with and plan to set it up for my son. No law however says he needs to know about it for a few weeks until I am able to bust out the Cobra.