Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree2Likes

3 Racing Sakura D3 CS Drift

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread has been the source of all my information regarding this chassis, and was the initial driving force that lead me to select this chassis.

My chassis has for the longest time been kept mostly stock with the exception of the "essentials" (CVDs, tensioner, alloy suspension mounts) but lately ive done a lot of work with the chassis and it has definitely come a long way since I last went to the track, including the carbon conversion as well as the alloy bulkheads and a few other things. The latter i decided to get after trying eunique's fully optioned chassis for a bit at the LHS. All i'm waiting for now is the alloy pullies to be in stock. But so far its been a great chassis and I can't wait to try it out! I'm at school now, so its hard to find the time and place to get a good drift sesh in unfortunately...

but anyways, here is a pic of what my chassis looks like now. Since this is my first post i cant post links yet, so just add the http colon slash slash part to the semi-link below

i50.tinypic.com/2u6chs8.jpg

Last edited by mrjfang; 01-17-2013 at 12:32 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by mrjfang
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster. This thread has been the source of all my information regarding this chassis, and was the initial driving force that lead me to select this chassis.

My chassis has for the longest time been kept mostly stock with the exception of the "essentials" (CVDs, tensioner, alloy suspension mounts) but lately ive done a lot of work with the chassis and it has definitely come a long way since I last went to the track, including the carbon conversion as well as the alloy bulkheads and a few other things. The latter i decided to get after trying eunique's fully optioned chassis for a bit at the LHS. All i'm waiting for now is the alloy pullies to be in stock. But so far its been a great chassis and I can't wait to try it out! I'm at school now, so its hard to find the time and place to get a good drift sesh in unfortunately...

but anyways, here is a pic of what my chassis looks like now. Since this is my first post i cant post links yet, so just add the http colon slash slash part to the semi-link below

kewl love the rust effect on your shell! did you try euniques with the KPI mod? Pulleys will still be a few weeks till they're stocked I think?
I have learnt so much from these forums especially from td-civ this was my first CS chassis
Old 01-17-2013, 05:38 AM
Tech Initiate

let me help post the pic

thats is sick! any more pics of the body?

also for those looking for a tire for smooth concrete, i feel the hpi super drift are very good, its a softer more grippy drift tire, the super drift is a highspeed drift tire for more advanced drifters on asphalt, but for smooth concrete/parkades its good for slower speed drifts too
Old 01-17-2013, 08:53 AM
Tech Initiate

Thanks kotar for posting the pic for me! below are the partial links to the pics of the shell. Basically what happened was I rushed the paintjob (first shell painted ever) and didnt clean it well enough and it caused some drips/runs. But it has been the shell that i've been learning to drift with, so I crashed it a ton so I think the rust matches with the whole bad paintjob beater shell idea. I didnt sand the outside of the shell though, so the rust paint is peeling a bit but I plan on touching it up when I can

i47.tinypic.com/24xmom1.jpg

i46.tinypic.com/2eojp02.jpg

i46.tinypic.com/55me04.jpg

pickled: I got to try eunique's chassis right after he put in the KPI mod. Longer drifts definitely felt much smoother, and his chassis felt a lot more solid in general. The latter could be because I was still used to running a mostly stock chassis at the time. I plan on doing the KPI mod once I get my order of parts in. For the KPI mod would you recommend placing the screw in the middle of the cut down arm, or towards the front or back?

Also, to anyone with the alloy steering set, how did you guys get rid of the slop? Thanks!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kotar

also for those looking for a tire for smooth concrete, i feel the hpi super drift are very good, its a softer more grippy drift tire, the super drift is a highspeed drift tire for more advanced drifters on asphalt, but for smooth concrete/parkades its good for slower speed drifts too

Just ordered me some HPI super drifts, will let y'all know how they are when I get them in and mounted.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Thanks kotar for posting the pi

pickled: I got to try eunique's chassis right after he put in the KPI mod. Longer drifts definitely felt much smoother, and his chassis felt a lot more solid in general. The latter could be because I was still used to running a mostly stock chassis at the time. I plan on doing the KPI mod once I get my order of parts in. For the KPI mod would you recommend placing the screw in the middle of the cut down arm, or towards the front or back
Thanks!
Nice to see you here!
Per pickled, you put the screw in from behind the sick tower. I just got my order of the longer screws that pickled spec'd out (15mm) along with some other goodies.
Ill be practicing later this afternoon after some errands

Last edited by eunique; 01-18-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by eunique
Nice to see you here!
Per pickled, you put the screw in from behind the sick tower. I just got my order of the longer screws that pickled spec'd out (15mm) along with some other goodies.
Ill be practicing later this afternoon after some errands
Yeah those Speed Mind long Ti screws don't fit the bulkhead.
what size are those adapters I ordered some 6mm they should be here on monday also those rear uprights what does the degree do toe or caster
And did you know the pink damper bits fit those shocks
now all they need to do is release alloy rear arms

@mrjfang
It depends on what offset wheel you will be running and what size shell. if you use a 190mm body then I'd say drill the hole 1mm off centre toward the rear don't forget if you do do the offset hole to adjust the suspension arms forward with washers to make up for the 1mm the wheelbase lost but if your going to use a 200mm body drill in the centre as the bigger offset will give you more clearance of the arm
I used different ball ends to decrease the slop Yeah Racing (#BN-0009BK) 4.8mm Delrin Ball End Size 15.00mm (BK) but the alloy steering system reduces it considerably as well

Last edited by pickled; 01-17-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Initiate

thanks pickled for fixing the links and I will definitely be ordering the parts once the alloy spur holder gets in stock
Old 01-17-2013, 03:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tizer
Because I want to use it as a front wheel drive racer, not a drifter. I think the geardiff of a Sakura S might fit, seeing that the width of the diff is the same. Maybe only the location of the pulley is different, but as I'm only using one center pulley I can move it to be in line with the diff? Maybe someone has tried a geardiff or balldiff in the D3 before? I know there are a lot of guys out there who don't like a oneway.
yes you can use it in foward mode no for rear or 4x4 because the center belt sit on geardiff case, i looked for that.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM
Tech Addict

@mrjfang
Spur Gear holder
next time you do a shell and you make a mistake like a run or you might just want to repaint your shell completely this will completely remove the paint but you have to use a decent cotton rag like from a pillow case etc. you can also use it to prep a new shell for painting

Tamiya 87118 Polycarbonate BODY CLEANER

Last edited by pickled; 01-17-2013 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Pickled, your body work is insane!

Just picked up a D3 with some christmas money, coming from 50/50 drifting, this actually feels easier!

So far I'm loving CS and it's been a great experience.

One thing I've found is that I'm definitely limited by the motor, so I'll probably be going brushless soon.

I've got an sr300 rx and a 2s 50c lipo already

Question for the experts:
Is a 45A sensored esc and a 10.5t motor acceptable? I might do a budget hobbyking setup.

For the motor it'll be a tacon 3 pole motor, 10.5t, 2930kv, max 28 amp.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:54 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by saturnv7890
Pickled, your body work is insane!

Just picked up a D3 with some christmas money, coming from 50/50 drifting, this actually feels easier!

So far I'm loving CS and it's been a great experience.

One thing I've found is that I'm definitely limited by the motor, so I'll probably be going brushless soon.

I've got an sr300 rx and a 2s 50c lipo already

Question for the experts:
Is a 45A sensored esc and a 10.5t motor acceptable? I might do a budget hobbyking setup.

For the motor it'll be a tacon 3 pole motor, 10.5t, 2930kv, max 28 amp.
lol if your talking about those pics of a shell in the posts above that's not mine that's mrjfang's shell he's new to the forum and can't post links

this is my shell
Yeah that should be fine
I'm waiting on a hobbywing 120A Xerun V2.1 and yeah racing 8.5T hackmoto combo from rcMart ATM

Last edited by pickled; 01-17-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Tech Regular

Just gor my D3 yesterday bought it from integy assembled version

almost finished

Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by aquito
Just gor my D3 yesterday bought it from integy assembled version

almost finished

lol it was almost finished when you opened the box
I would double check the CVD's they aren't assembled correctly from factory so I doubt they are even in the assembled version.
When you take them apart grind a flat on the pin for the set screw to bite into then when assembling use thread lock on the set screw
Old 01-17-2013, 08:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

My Sakura D3 is currently at the Dispatch Facility waiting for customs clearance

Cant even go and pick it up!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.